1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longfields with or without rings??

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 78crzr, Feb 28, 2004.

1. 78crzr

78crzr

Guys,

What's everyone's opinions on Longfields and the version with and without rings? I've got a 2F and stock axles. May drop a 350 in down the road, depending on what I determine the cost to be to rebuild the 2F. Suspect I'll need to do something within the next 6 months. Runing 33" M/T now, but will most likely go to 35's if I drop in a 350. I'm sure I don't need the Longfields right at the moment, but would rather prevent a problem before breaking somewhere. Rings or no rings?

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    I run year+ old Longs with rings, a 350 TBI, granny gear, and 38.5 SX's....haven't broke one yet. IMO, unless you feel a need to do sharper turns, get the rings for added insurance...

3. G-Cat

G-Cat SILVER Star

Albums:
    I run a beefed-up 2F, 5-speed and 35s. Just put in Longs w/out rings cause I like the sharp turning radius (this is a dual-purpose rig) and I don't do the type of wheeling that should make the ringless Long fail.

4. Advent Horizon

Advent Horizon

How much do the rings hurt turning radius? I'm thinking about going to Longs, but I don't want to lose much turning radius if I can help it.

5. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

The rings only give your 4-8* of extra turning (assuming you set your stops accordingly) of course most people don't and are still running their Longs...

I have seen a dozen or so Longs fail... most were the early ring style, but the last one was a ringless... IMHO it failed quicker than the ringed ones. Bobby was super cool and swapped it out with a ring'd one.

Either way, props to Bobby... We ran them in UROC, the Con, and numberous wheeling trips... really saved the Birf scene... :D