Logan's Cruiser - and Now The Rest of the Story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks again onur, you rock buddy!!!!!!!

We're still waiting on parts to come in, we're moving the HAMON to next weekend 29/30.
Who all is planning on coming so we can get a head count?

@forrest5000 have you been able to meet up with Rafael for the parts? or does a mudship need be setup?

Last edited:
He hasn't gotten back with
Me.

29th/30th .... I'm out. Sorry.

As Hannah mentioned a couple key parts haven't came in yet. that's kind of holding things back. don't want to start the engine with the transfer case opened up. so we will move it out till next weekend (sorry if i threw a wrench in any plans). we'll be working on it this weekend is you want to stop by, but mostly in clean mode i don't mind drinking a few beers while we sand/primer/paint the sliders and front control arms and maybe the axles.

We started on the front axle with some rust convertor and Garrett put the steering damper on while i installed the steering column seal, and that finished up the steering.

IMG_20170719_203614413.jpg

is you ever feel warm air on your feet it is most likely a failed steering shaft seal.

IMG_20170719_191240804_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

no more warm drafts. But, time for a few cold ones. :beer::beer:
IMG_20170719_203540861.jpg

Last edited:
no worries at all. i am really waiting on a couple .30 cent screws for the spool bushing. I could probably go down to Wilders and find something that would work.

pulled the rear of the t-case of and removed the center diff. will pull the spider gears, clean up the case and parts. still waiting on a couple little bolts to come in for the spool. also worked on a little rust removal on the roof got it down mostly shinny metal and put some rust convert on it yesterday. cleaned it up this morning and put some self etching printer, then some paint (as close as i could find to toyota 183) then a couple coats of clear. hopefully it will hold for a while. also filled in the remaining holes on the roof with some seam sealer.

IMG_20170722_183646325.jpg

IMG_20170722_183651474.jpg

IMG_20170721_194149773.jpg

IMG_20170722_194604173.jpg

spent a good part of the afternoon fighting with the exhaust. I managed to free the o2 sensors. The bung that was leaking was not flat and the nuts wouldn't budge.. i tried a little bit of everything. but couldn't same the studs. on the good side, it was easy to plane the bung surface with a large flat file. i drilled out the studs, tapped the holes and ordered a couple replacements. welded up 4 or 5 holes in the down pipes. also sanded/primered/painted the sliders and front control arms.

IMG_20170723_145839862.jpg

IMG_20170723_171641013.jpg

I thought about painting the sliders orange to match the floor and seats.:hmm:

Last edited:
"need antenna ( maybe something like this 86300-60030 or a aftermarket flexible stubby)?"

Us 4Runner guys have been known to replace our telescoping antenna's with Tundra whip antennas. Not sure if it would work, but glad to chip in on the base or the whip or any other/better option.

The whip is nice as it is about tall enough to act as a measure for roof height :)

For the Tundra stuff:

Base with everything but antenna: 86300-AF020

Whip: 86309-0C020

Thanks for the feedback Jamie, after a day of pondering I ended up ordering the manual telescoping antenna (86300-60030) for 50.00 shipped. I figured they can keep the Antenna down unless they need it. This should keep it from snagging branches and what not. I need to take the fender off to fix the inner fender mounting point behind the light so, it would make installing and running the lead for the antenna a lot easier.

well the little bolts for the spool bushing finally arrived in the mail today, time to start cleaning mating surfaces and then reassemble the T-case.

@Roxx & @forrest5000 any updates on lights/lenses? can any mud-ship connections be planned to move some parts? are you coming to the Hamon this weekend, is one day better then the other, anybody else have plans? post #2 and #3 are current.

Thanks for all the support everyone has given us, We have been able to do much more then what we set out to do.

Was planning on coming up Saturday to help , I'll bring them

Sweet, Thanks Eric.

We got all the mounting surfaces clean. cleaned up the bolts and chased them with a die, and ran a tap in the case holes to clean out the threads. Tomorrow we press off a couple bearings and then start the reassemble. Note to self: remember to pickup some RTV tomorrow.

got the roof rack back on. pressed the bearing on the spool and blew apart the output housing to replace the seal. the snap ring on the base of the speed-o gear was a little stubborn and i stretched it a little getting it off. need to cal FAT in the am and get a new one, i'll pick up a couple o-rings as well for good measure since i am there.

Really awesome that you are spearheading this and clearly doing the bulk of the work. Wish I could come out this weekend to lend an incapable hand, but I have plans.

no worries. it's a moving target, still waiting on some parts. We did get the spool installed and the rear of the transfer case buttoned up. just waiting on the snap ring to install the rear output housing. Time for a glass of water and a couple fingers of some crown royal apple.

I got about half the exhaust put back together this morning before Eric F. showed up with a care package from Rafael. Eric installed the rear side lights and we had had to change the plug connectors on the front corner lights so they would plug into the harness. Sean showed up and started tracing down the issue with the reverse lights. we found several issues and corrected them, even removed some orphaned wiring from an old alarm. but the problem still existed. there was continuity and a good ground, but the reverse lights were still not functioning right. we finally decided to swap out the rear light fixture. wouldn't you know the issue went away. Now all the light work and lenses are good. somewhere along the time line Jim S. showed up and picked in with us. we pulled the passenger fender off commenced to to banging, prying, cutting and welding on the core support to get it straight enough to mount a light to. (will have to wait and see if we can get the light pointed in the direction of travel once we get it all back together. removed the old antenna and installed the new one on the fender. Going to wait until tomorrow to reinstall the fender, one of the headlight mounting arms had a crack in it and we mixed up some epoxy to strengthen it up. the Drivers mirror has to issues one the top left mounting point was broke off. 2 the door mounting post was broken. so we used some epoxy to form a new mounting tab on the mirror motor. once it hardens up ill shape it to fit. we used an old mirror housing i had to hold the mirror. we also took time to paint the wiper arms since we had them off to gain access to the fender bolts.

Thanks again for your help Guys!!

the snap ring needed to complete the transfer case assembly was back ordered, eta is Tuesday, while that limited what we could do. we still had plenty of work and made good progress.

IMG_20170729_182446277_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170729_182505704_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom