Locking HUBs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have AVM locking hubs on their rigs? I have a 71 40 that I just did a brake conversion on and the original Warns are shot. With a 6 spline axle, I’m finding limited options.

Saw the AVMs on Cool Crusiers and was wondering if anyone knows much about them.

When you say the Warn's are shot, what is shot about them? Unless there are physical brakes they can usually be cleaned up and brought back to servicable condition.

Does anyone have AVM locking hubs on their rigs? I have a 71 40 that I just did a brake conversion on and the original Warns are shot. With a 6 spline axle, I’m finding limited options.

Saw the AVMs on Cool Crusiers and was wondering if anyone knows much about them.
I have AVM hubs but they’re older versions. Took mine apart and reassembled it, pretty simple part

5331F7CA-FF7C-4F61-B37B-C1F85909BAD0.jpeg

It’s just dirty in that photo because of unfortunate circumstances. Cleaned them up better afterwards lol

Brakes caught fire and a fire extinguisher had to be used

6 spline old lockouts should be an easy find used. Most of us recycle them in the scrap pile. If I had a set I'd send em for the price of shipping but I did a huge garage purge a year ago. Someone here will prob respond if not goto classifieds and post a wanted ad.

When you say the Warn's are shot, what is shot about them? Unless there are physical brakes they can usually be cleaned up and brought back to servicable condition.
They aren’t truly shot, just a little above my mechanical experience. They need to be cleaned well and then rebuilt.

I don’t know Warn, but breaking down the AVMs and cleaning them really was not that bad, and if you run into trouble, post it up on here or something. Good place to start

I’m no mechanic but I still figured it out with some googling and help

If you really don’t want to ‘go there’ @bmoonhajjar often offers them up disassembled, fully cleaned, lubed and ready to install.

:eek: that's just nuts :bang: - they can be had for much less $$ than that, just sayin' - a few years ago I sold a perfectly fine set of used and rebuilt Warn coarse-spline hubs here on MUD for $150

also, like someone else said: take apart what you have, document the steps as you take them apart, clean, lubricate, and assemble the hubs in reverse of your documentation

Last edited:
If you really want a great set, take a look at these , no fuss.

Yea, that’s like 4x more expensive than the market

/this\

I have had good experience with this seller just in the past few months - prompt shipments and good communication

:eek: that's just nuts :bang: - they can be had for much less $$ than that, just sayin' - a few years ago I sold a perfectly fine set of used and rebuilt Warn coarse-spline hubs here on MUD for $150

also, like someone else said: take apart what you have, document the steps as you take them apart, clean, lubricate, and assemble the hubs in reverse of your documentation

Well, there are hubs for less, AND, there are hubs better than new. SOR has used for 540.00 for a pair without any restore. Prices are aligning with expected function.

Send them to me, and I will refurbish them for you. I have plenty of spare parts.

Short or long fine spline birfs? I prob have 3 sets of new in box short spline hubs sitting here.

Is it pretty simple to switch out hubs to a new set? Just un do the bolts and bolt the new ones on? Anything else to know? Havent had my set apart but they are older AVMs I would like to update to new ones.

You have to remove the outer cover with the dial before removing from the wheel hub. There is a snap ring on the end of the shaft or there should be. Once the snap ring has been removed you can unbolt the AVM hub from the wheel hub.

If you can get a Toyota manual they show how to disassemble hubs and while you are in there you can repack the wheel bearings if you don't know the history. These rigs are easy to work on. I could not find my hub socket when I took the hubs off and you can Flintstone these things apart without doing damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom