locker actuator rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had to rewind the armature on mine. There are some before pictures below. I guess I never took any after pics. I was able to find magnet wire online that was very close to the original diameter.

Each coil is wound with 60 turns clockwise and you have to be careful to keep the wire tight and line up each wrap or they will not all fit. At the start and end of each coil you need to sand a little of the insulation off and bend the tab down over the exposed area. Be careful to copy the wrap pattern exactly.

My actuator worked perfectly after being cleaned up and rewound.
IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1119.jpg

The little trick with the spring loaded contacts were the s***, i was using safety wire and it was too thick. Was gonna try dental floss untill i saw what Landtank did.

The little trick with the spring loaded contacts were the s***, i was using safety wire and it was too thick. Was gonna try dental floss untill i saw what Landtank did.

I didn't get a picture of it but you can actually get the brush lead all the way around to the corner where it will hold the brush in completely. G;ad you found it helpful.

For those who stripped out the Phillips heads on removal. I picked up M5-.80x12mm Socket head cap screws at lowes. They are longer than the OEM screws, but they fully thread in and don't interfere with anything.

Also for those removing the screws, use a manual impact screwdriver. This is how I ended up getting mine out.

This is perfect. What orientation do you put the small gear? So that it is closer to the big gear or spaced away?

Glad I found this. Glad you took the time to put it together. The FSM leave much to be desired in this area.

awesome thread!

Any update on a new seal kit? I'd love some new orings for mine.

mattafact said:
Any update on a new seal kit? I'd love some new orings for mine.

Landtank's actuator rebuild kits are available through the AJIK web store.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Landtank's actuator rebuild kits are available through the AJIK web store.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Awesome, thanks. I'm knee deep in refurbing mine and this is exactly what I need.

Landtank, I am trying to decide between an aftermarket manual conversion for my rear locker, or having the actuator rebuilt by someone. What do you charge for a rebuild? L.B.

Camino said:
Landtank, I am trying to decide between an aftermarket manual conversion for my rear locker, or having the actuator rebuilt by someone. What do you charge for a rebuild? L.B.

I can speak from personal experience, Landtank rebuilds are like factory new when you get the locker back! Top quality work!

Cam- where did you find a manual conversion?

-Ammo

IIRC Trail Gear just started to offer a manual cable to pull/push to lock/unlock. Marlin was also going to offer one as well.

I recall Trail Gears being $$$.

Right now I'm setting myself up with a good blast cabinet and have had discussions with Josh at AJIK on this. The big issue will be the quality of the locker that is provided. The rear actuator especially is prone to excessive deterioration from the elements were the motor cap meets the housing. Because of this the quality of the final product is unknown until I have it in my hands to evaluate.

This alone could mean some expense for shipping and vehicle down time only to find out the actuator is too far gone for a rebuild.

We also talked about a swap kind of deal but given the rarity of these the initial cost would have to be the same as new with a large core charge otherwise people will just buy the rebuilt unit and not return a core.

Just some insight for those who might be interested in this service.

Downey offered a push to lock/pull to unlock cable kit, but I found it less than inspiring on the design. No infiltration protection on the exposed cable near the end, less than stellar sealing of the cable end into the cast diff end. I put a rear 80 locker into my front axle on my '40.

Chilkat makes one, looks good but it's stupid expensive.

Thanks for all the great pics and info.
I just have one question. Did you need to buy new magnets and if you did, where did you get them?
Im trying to rebuild my Actuator out of my HDJ81, and the magnets out of if were completely crumbled.
20130129_173814.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom