LJ78 Clutch, Master Cylinder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Appears my Master and Slave cylinders have finally succumbed to age and use. Replacing the Master with original parts does not seem to be an option any longer. Has anyone been successful with swapping for parts from other years or models....or know of a good rebuild kit?

I replaced my master cylinder last summer, the parts are still around. I used an Aisin master cylinder, PN CMT132A. Also, rebuild kits for the master are available (I have one sitting in a box). The internal parts of the master cylinder are the same dimensions as the 1990's 3.4 V6 parts that were available Stateside, and the same goes for the slave cylinder. I don't know if new complete slaves are available, but a rebuild kit should be.
IMG_3492.jpg

Here is my original slave cylinder next to one from a late '90's 4Runner V6. Bore and stroke are both identical, the only differences are the locations of the mounting ears, clutch hose port and bleed valve.
IMG_3562.jpg

While you have the system apart it is probably a good idea to take the accumulator apart and clean it out inside. Mine was pretty grimy after nearly 30 years, I made a new gasket for it and used a brake cylinder hone to clean up the deposits in the bore.
IMG_3617.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Can you clarify: is this an alternative that works, or what would be used as a replacement of original? My parts resources are telling me there are NO Master cylinders available based on a parts number search from manual. Is your Prado a '92? If this is an acceptable alternative you just saved us A LOT of trial and error trying different models that may work. There are plenty of slave cylinders available...no problem on those, but of course need to make sure we are matching an alt Master if going that route.

The master cylinder is a direct replacement, identical to the original. Aisin was an OE manufacturer for Toyota, so I wouldn't be surprised if the original master was actually an Aisin as well. My Prado is a '91.

My parts resources are telling me there are NO Master cylinders available based on a parts number search from manual
There is a lot of part numbers for brake and clutch master cylinders (and other parts) that are identical. For instance , the 60 series have at least 6 part numbers for a clutch master cyl, but are all interchangeable.
There is a plethora of aftermarket parts that are as good as Aisin, I have used them many times.

Hello,

You can also try the rebuild kit for both master and slave cylinder.

The parts inside the cylinders fail in old age. The outer housings usually hold up in old age. So, you can replace the innards with the rebuild kit.

It will buy you time.

In the meantime, you can find the assemblies from, for instance, Denso or Aisin.

Juan

What year/model LJ78? We stock a wide variety of brake, clutch and slave master cylinders in both OEM and AISIN flavor including for the many common non-US market applications.

What year/model LJ78? We stock a wide variety of brake, clutch and slave master cylinders in both OEM and AISIN flavor including for the many common non-US market applications.
'92 SX5 If you have either the Master or Slave, you may be the last shop on the planet stocking them, I'd be interested to know if you do!

'92 SX5 If you have either the Master or Slave, you may be the last shop on the planet stocking them, I'd be interested to know if you do!
SX5 is a trim. We would need the actual model i.e. LJ78G-MET, LJ78G-MGT, etc. Without that I can't personal efficiently assist. Shoot our parts team an email with your full frame code, model code and they will be able to look it up. I'm off the clock for the day. info@cruiseroutfitters.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom