LJ78 2LTE - Turbocharger Upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nope, have not got to it yet. And as @simonliew has said, they are popular turbos on the 3B's. Spool super fast.

I've gotten side tracked. Going to convert to manual hubs and do a front axle seal job at the same time. And going to switch to 80 series radius arms. After that I'm going to work on the turbo.

I’ll just pick it up. It’s pretty cheap.

what’s the benifit of the 80 series radius arms?

I’ll just pick it up. It’s pretty cheap.

what’s the benifit of the 80 series radius arms?

I'm not sure it's going to work out yet; but the 80 series radius arms provide for a better caster angle. Rumor has it they may be just slightly shorter than the LJ78 ones, but I'm not sure yet. Going to try them and see what happens. If they do work out, it means I can run the soft flexible factory bushings instead of my in-flexible caster correction bushings. This will give more comfort and better axle articulation.

80 series on top, LJ78 on bottom in this picture.

80-series-on-top-prado-on-bottom-jpg.722943

The angle looks like it might help the issue we were discussing.
My concern with it being shorter would be moving the axle back and causing a great deal more rubbing when the tire is stuffed.
The lifts on our trucks already move the tire back some. I suppose if the angle fixed the issue you could modify the frame mounts to move the axle back to a central position.
I am super interested to see if this works for you. A simple way to fix the castor angle would be huge in our trucks. Because you are right, the offset bushings do not fix the issue completely and are super stiff.

The angle looks like it might help the issue we were discussing.
My concern with it being shorter would be moving the axle back and causing a great deal more rubbing when the tire is stuffed.
The lifts on our trucks already move the tire back some. I suppose if the angle fixed the issue you could modify the frame mounts to move the axle back to a central position.
I am super interested to see if this works for you. A simple way to fix the castor angle would be huge in our trucks. Because you are right, the offset bushings do not fix the issue completely and are super stiff.

I'm actually not sure they're shorter.... Friend of mine has an HDJ81 in the parking lot; I could crawl under both our trucks and take some measurements. Just need a dry day; don't feel like laying in snow/rain.

Yeah, today is not the day for either of us to be laying on the ground under a truck. It's not very pleasant outside for us at the moment.

I did a little bit more searching and came across a bunch of pictures where a fellow held an 80 series radius arm up under his LJ78. One concern is the minimal clearance to the rear tie rod, as the LJ78 arm has more of a goose-neck to it. The fellow seemed to think the 80 radius arm was about 10mm shorter too. Anyhow, I uploaded the pictures to an album here: 80 Radius Arm comparison - LJ78

It is close. One thing to consider however is that it will obviously come down when the rear is rotated to match the attachment location of the LJ arm. And the steering arm is at its longest point when the wheels are straight. So, it would move forward when turning.
So, the real area that would need testing is what happens when the axle articulates. If it didn't hit there when the tire dropped it might be fine. After all, clearance is clearance. Nothing saying it has to be a huge amount as long as they can't touch.

And, we probably shouldn't be making a mess of the turbo thread with suspension mods. lol. We took a turn there.

It is close. One thing to consider however is that it will obviously come down when the rear is rotated to match the attachment location of the LJ arm. And the steering arm is at its longest point when the wheels are straight. So, it would move forward when turning.
So, the real area that would need testing is what happens when the axle articulates. If it didn't hit there when the tire dropped it might be fine. After all, clearance is clearance. Nothing saying it has to be a huge amount as long as they can't touch.

And, we probably shouldn't be making a mess of the turbo thread with suspension mods. lol. We took a turn there.

I figured I was messing up my own thread so it was ok...haha. But yeah, I should have posted this in the thread I started a while back on this subject.... When I try the radius arms, that's what I'll do. And thanks for your thoughts on the clearance!

Erm.... Well might aswell share my insight on this now that there's a discussion going :rolleyes:😅

I think your main issue will be hitting the tie rod end clamp when turning to almost full lock (last half turn of the wheel). I had a similar problem with my castor correction bushes. I had rubber ones since I wanted to retain flex, but they wore out in no time. The rear bolt (or front? forgot) bush came resting on the outer bush ring further decreasing this clearance and it was hitting there. I almost hit a car in the parking lot when this first happened to me. The steering just locked. So be sure to check that properly 😉

Also, when I was looking into this problem I noticed how the steering rod moves slightly down (apart from inwards, as Nas said) when turning the wheel. This will also effect that clearance.

I was wondering about that clamp. Friend of mine here who owns an HDJ81 suggested rotating the clamp up to make sure it doesn't hit the radius arm. But yes, I'll do a lot of testing in my drive-way before going on the road anywhere!

Sorry ! But I must be really slow,
What has the radius arm have to do with the turbo set up ?
And why would anyone with a nice car ,like yours ,would dream to change the radius arm ?

Sorry ! But I must be really slow,
What has the radius arm have to do with the turbo set up ?
And why would anyone with a nice car ,like yours ,would dream to change the radius arm ?

We got way off topic; sorry.

When the coil suspension solid axle landcruiser is lifted (taller springs), the caster angle must be corrected. The 80 series radius arms have this castor correction built into them compared to the LJ78 radius arms. If it's possible to swap them, it would be an easy solution.

I plan to make one for the TD04. There are adapters available out there for CT20 to T25/T28. I have thought of trying a Garrett turbo instead of the TD04. Will see how it goes. I think a GT2052 would suit the motor well.

Where did you end up with this? You mention an existing adapter for the T25, what about a combo like this?

I recently put a TD04L-13T-6 on my 3B and so far it’s a dream

Where did you end up with this? You mention an existing adapter for the T25, what about a combo like this?

Did not get to it last winter unfortunately. That setup you've found looks good, but I'm looking to get this done low budget, so will probably make a custom adapter for the TD04L I have to CT20 manifold.

Did not get to it last winter unfortunately. That setup you've found looks good, but I'm looking to get this done low budget, so will probably make a custom adapter for the TD04L I have to CT20 manifold.

That is the way I would like to go eventually too. Just rebuilding a CT20 currently. @gerg has helped me come up with some good TD04L options for the 2.8 - probably not far off the 2.4.

Do you have a build thread of this? 🤓

no build on the 3B, just this kit

When the coil suspension solid axle landcruiser is lifted (taller springs), the caster angle must be corrected. The 80 series radius arms have this castor correction built into them compared to the LJ78 radius arms. If it's possible to swap them, it would be an easy solution.

Hello, did you do the modification? Post a few piccies.

Castor correction is done with castor correction bushes. Putting on 80's arms just to solve castor correction I never known about this??

Castor correction is done with castor correction bushes. Putting on 80's arms just to solve castor correction I never known about this??

I do have castor correction bushing in my stock LJ78 arms right now. I don't like them because they are offset and stiff, so resist axle flex compared to normal bushings. If you look at the pictures in this thread, the 80 radius arm has more caster correction, but the problem is it's 12mm too short and doesn't clear the LJ78 steering components properly. It's not a good option. I think the best options are caster correction plates or a custom radius arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom