LJ78 2LTE - Turbocharger Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome! I'll do some adjusting to the drawing.

Thanks very much!

I just realized that one of the 2LTE manifold studs will not clear in the way I placed the gasket above. However, when I slide the gasket a bit (up in that photo) the stud clears. The nut still won't clear the turbo flange though. I think if the turbo flange was ground in that spot, the nut might clear. Or a person could use hex head bolts into the 2lte manifold instead of the oem studs. The flange would need to have counter sunk holes for this to work. Sort of along the lines of the CT26 version I posted a picture of up above.

What are your thoughts on this?

The countersunk bolts should work fine. I used a 45º countersunk bolt on mine that is hidden under the adapter plate once it is installed. I feel like that gives more meat on the adapter plate than using a socket head cap screw, but it probably doesn't make much difference.

One other dimension I need:
3 bolt wrx.PNG

The countersunk bolts should work fine. I used a 45º countersunk bolt on mine that is hidden under the adapter plate once it is installed. I feel like that gives more meat on the adapter plate than using a socket head cap screw, but it probably doesn't make much difference.

One other dimension I need:
View attachment 2567504

I'm no expert in measuring these things perfectly, but the best I can do puts that dimension at 38mm.

I've shifted things around such that the bolt holes are all accessible, but in order to fit a standard JIS flange nut on one of the 2L-TE manifold studs the TD04 flange will have to be clearanced slightly. Other than that it is looking pretty good.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 9.50.52 PM.png

Top side, facing turbo:

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 10.12.15 PM.png

Bottom side, facing manifold:
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 10.13.23 PM.png

Here is the finished drawing. Some of the dimensions I left out as they aren't critical.

Attachments

• Drawing 1.pdf
    17.7 KB · Views: 86
Here is the finished drawing. Some of the dimensions I left out as they aren't critical.

Thanks so much! Really appreciate your help with this.

How thick is that plate? Looks like you got the transition from the square manifold opening which is awesome.

Nick I would happily pay for one of these or chip in for machine shop costs if you want to get a few made, FYI

I have a couple good friends at work who are machinists in a well outfitted machine shop. I'll chat with them about this and let you know. I might make one prototype first to make sure it actually works. Then take what I've learned, and tweak a final version. I could then look into getting a batch done. I know at least a couple other people interested as well. I'm quite excited to see what improvements the TD04L will make to the 2LTE too.

How thick is that plate? Looks like you got the transition from the square manifold opening which is awesome.

Nick I would happily pay for one of these or chip in for machine shop costs if you want to get a few made, FYI
The drawing is for 1/2” material. It could be made thicker to help the transition from the square to round inlet port, but I think 1/2” is as thin as I would go.

Machining should be pretty simple for the most part, the only thing I can see requiring CNC would be getting the loft feature between the round and square profiles. If needed I can export the model to a Solidworks, .step or various other file formats, or it is available in as a Public file at OnShape.

Attachments

• Part Studio 2 - Part 1.stl
    254.2 KB · Views: 65
The previous file has 11mm holes for all seven bolts, this one has 8.8mm holes for the three TD04 bolts since they will need to be tapped to M10x1.25.

Attachments

• CT20-TD04 Adapter - Part 1.stl
    254.2 KB · Views: 64
One other question @GTSSportCoupe: I read several places that the WRX TD04 has a 48mm inlet diameter, but the hole size on the TD05 flange that @Waikato Willy provided is 45mm. I designed this adapter using the 45mm dimension, but if your turbo has a 48mm inlet I can easily change the hole size.

Get me an stl file and I will 3D print one and send it to @GTSSportCoupe to test fit :hillbilly:

I may be able to get this done by our machine shop, but thanks so much! Really appreciate the offer of help.

One other question @GTSSportCoupe: I read several places that the WRX TD04 has a 48mm inlet diameter, but the hole size on the TD05 flange that @Waikato Willy provided is 45mm. I designed this adapter using the 45mm dimension, but if your turbo has a 48mm inlet I can easily change the hole size.

The turbo I have is 45mm exhaust inlet for sure. So your drawing is right.

Thanks again for all your help! I'll pass that drawing to our machine shop and see if they can do a 3d print for me to try out for fitment.

how much is the horsepower that the 2l t can reach and work safely without causing problems?

Well, that's a tough question, as the 2LT has problems even at stock power. But the problems are not necessarily related to strength of the motor (from high cylinder pressures).

The power limit is the 10mm injection pump. I've made about 125hp/250ftlb to the rear wheels on my 2LTE LJ78. I'd say that is about the limit with a factory injection pump. It's good power, and would move your light weight Hilux very well. You need to intercool the motor, and raise the boost to about 17psi+ to achieve this power.

A radiator upgrade, 82C thermostat, and well maintained fan hub will help protect your engine from heat problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom