"Light Weight" Shock - Need some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys

read a lot about the different shocks and while being on ICON Stage 2 first I'm currently rather stepping away due to maintainance.

Weight info:
Our LC will be getting a Dissent front bumper with a syn. rope winch, adding ~160lbs.
The rear will also get a bumper with wing out for the spare.
These two weights will permanently on the vehicle.

During trips (long weekend) we carry the cooler, some firewood and the regular gear. So I guess this will more balance out the 3rd row seating capacity, for what the regular suspension is being set up for.

Terrain info:
We'll head into NFs and see quite some not well maintained forrest roads. We're also heading over washboards and washboard similar terrain.
From there we will surely not shy away from rougher day trip trails (take Lippinkott in Death Valley as example), whereas some of the travel weight will be reduced (cooler, gear stays at campground...)

My target:
1. I don't target too much of perfect road performance. My wife will use it as daily driver, but a bit squishy ride is fine (which likely is what's needed when we comfortably want to pass washboards).
2. I don't want too much maintenance or 100 options to adjust, which is why I'd not opt for Dobinsons MRAs or ICON Stage 3
3. I'm not really choosing by money, but I don't want to rebuild every (second) year.
4. I also will do a lift, so I'll opt for the 2-2.5". As a start I keep the stock TBs and see where it gets me.
5. In terms of rear springs I guess I end up with something like Dobinsons C59-167 (+220lbs rear weight and 2" lift).

To my question:
which shocks would you go for my targets?

I read oil heats up quicker, which is why you often have the reservoir.
Ironman seem to fit well combining the technologies.
Dobinsons IMS also seem to have a good fit.

Am I on the right track?

Just get some Ironman foam cell shocks and call it a day. It is perfect for you. I had foam cell shocks, which handle great when cruising fire roads and washboard.

I actually upgraded to ICON Stage 3 because I wanted to go faster on the trails and fly over those ruts and whatnot.

You're probably gonna need stiffer T-Bars if you're adding more weights in the front.

Just get some Ironman foam cell shocks and call it a day. It is perfect for you. I had foam cell shocks, which handle great when cruising fire roads and washboard.

This.

Our version of washboard is ocean wave corrugations - for example the Mereenie Loop (in central Australia) and the Peninsula Development road (far north Queensland). These are exacerbated by multi trailer road trains travelling over them.

The Ironman Foam Cell Pros took these in their stride at around 80-85km/h (50-53mph). We saw quite a few 4WDs driving in the table drains at low speed, their shocks had given up the ghost due to the incessant corrugations.

I have similar trail habits as the OP. I went with tough dog, with the adjustable rears. Seem to work well.

Only pain in the ass is sliding under the rear to adjust pre/post dirt.

Front shocks - OEM Toyota
Torsion bars - OEM adjusted slightly to keep within the limits.

I don't believe it's necessary to lift these vehicles much at all unless you are stuffing bigger tires in there. It isn't going to do much for you

Rear coils - Find the appropriate coil rated for your payload. In my case I went with Dobinson's spec'd for my weight range
Rear shocks - Same, find appropriate rear shock to work with the required weight / payload you are carrying. I also went with Dobinsons here as well.

I also tested Fox shocks and ARB coils and didn't like that. Suspension and Tire questions are very very opinion based and subjective to what people are used to driving. Any quality brand name with a good warranty / tech support rated for your weight will be good.

1705512096919.png

Thanks for your replies!

I'm picking up my SCS wheels with 285/75-16 MT Baja Boss A/T today, to answer that questions. And I just like the lift and it's giving me some advantages in terms approach/ departure angle, space under chassis. Understand that travel and wheel size are not impacted by this.

I just ordered yesterday:
- front shocks: Dobinson IMS extended
- rear shocks: Dobinson MRA (as I have changing load scenarios)
- rear coils: Dobinson C56-167 (1.5-2" lift, 0-220LBS) --> bumper (tire, high lift, ...) and sliders will be added once I'm done with suspension
- Torsion bars: will stay stock for now and I'll see how far I get with cranking/ reindexing

Thanks for your replies!

I'm picking up my SCS wheels with 285/75-16 MT Baja Boss A/T today, to answer that questions. And I just like the lift and it's giving me some advantages in terms approach/ departure angle, space under chassis. Understand that travel and wheel size are not impacted by this.

I just ordered yesterday:
- front shocks: Dobinson IMS extended
- rear shocks: Dobinson MRA (as I have changing load scenarios)
- rear coils: Dobinson C56-167 (1.5-2" lift, 0-220LBS) --> bumper (tire, high lift, ...) and sliders will be added once I'm done with suspension
- Torsion bars: will stay stock for now and I'll see how far I get with cranking/ reindexing

any impressions on this setup?

Yep! Good ones 🙃

Had a week on Mojave Road and Offroading around Joshua Tree in dry and muddy conditions. Tires performed great, suspension worked great. I might have to dial it in a bit more on the rear, but will only start working on it once I have my front and rear bumper with all day to day weight.

The rear coils also seem to be right. Once loaded with our "family of 4 camping gear" + a small offroad trailer the car was sitting nice and level. So skip the trailer of a friend, add the rear bumper and it should be comparable.

Yes, I would do it again!

Here’s a pic

IMG_8020.jpeg

Yep! Good ones 🙃

Had a week on Mojave Road and Offroading around Joshua Tree in dry and muddy conditions. Tires performed great, suspension worked great. I might have to dial it in a bit more on the rear, but will only start working on it once I have my front and rear bumper with all day to day weight.

The rear coils also seem to be right. Once loaded with our "family of 4 camping gear" + a small offroad trailer the car was sitting nice and level. So skip the trailer of a friend, add the rear bumper and it should be comparable.

Yes, I would do it again!

looking good - thank you. Do you feel without bumpers and the large variance in loud the MRA would be neccessary in the rear? Pretty sold on the IMS extended up front not sure if I could just stick with IMS in the rear. Just looking for a solid feel and good ride with occasional light/medium off-road use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom