Lifting my 60 this weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My entertainment for the weekend. OME heavies going under my 60. Just wanted to share with some folks who get it.

20210803_113644.jpg

I hope you have a jack. These trucks are heavy. 😉

I couldn't manage it without a hi-lift jack.
You've got to lift from the frame, not the axles
image.jpeg

Yeah I had to go buy a new jack and some new stands to install my lift. And I barely made it happen.

View attachment 2759453
I'll be picking up a long reach floor jack after I absorb the cost of the lift. My regular floor jack just wont hold any longer. Got my eye on one of these as well.

Yeah I had to go buy a new jack and some new stands to install my lift. And I barely made it happen.
My 6 ton jack stands are halfway extended just to get the stock suspension and tires off the ground, I hope they are tall enough once everything is put back together.

I just ordered a set of 33 x10.5 - 15 General Grabber X3 M/T tires. They should be here next week sometime. A lot of stuff is so far back ordered that I had to compromise a little on tires. Not as aggressive as I would like but should suit my needs for the time being. Once I settle on a set of 17'' wheels, I'm looking at a set of Toyo Open Country M/Ts.

My 6 ton jack stands are halfway extended just to get the stock suspension and tires off the ground, I hope they are tall enough once everything is put back together.
I picked up a nice jack and set of stands from NAPA. Carlisle brand. I think the floor jack is a 3.5 ton and the stands are 6 ton. Not cheap to be honest, but it’s way cheaper than a hospital bill or a casket. After seeing cars fall and hearing a story of a dad getting crushed in front of his 3 year old daughter I have to insist on investing in a SOLID jacking system for doing work on these trucks. I also think long and hard about the physics of what I’m doing. If something falls where is gravity most likely to take it? And how can I make sure that DOES NOT HAPPEN?

You are going to love the stance and ride

I picked up a nice jack and set of stands from NAPA. Carlisle brand. I think the floor jack is a 3.5 ton and the stands are 6 ton.
I have to insist on investing in a SOLID jacking system for doing work on these trucks. I also think long and hard about the physics of what I’m doing. If something falls where is gravity most likely to take it? And how can I make sure that DOES NOT HAPPEN?

Absolutely. I had a nice 6-ton floor jack but had to borrow jack stands from a buddy when doing my lift. I had 3 ton stands but felt the overkill of the 6 ton would put me more at ease when working under the truck. My floor jack barely got the truck up in the air enough to get the suspension completely unloaded. Was a sketchy endeavor even with the borrowed stands but I was glad to have them. Recently purchased a pair of the 6-ton dual-lock variety stands for myself. Like @cps432 I won't play games when it comes to lifting or working under my truck regardless of the cost. Wheels under the truck at all times and multiple jack stands per side/end holding it up.

Absolutely. I had a nice 6-ton floor jack but had to borrow jack stands from a buddy when doing my lift. I had 3 ton stands but felt the overkill of the 6 ton would put me more at ease when working under the truck. My floor jack barely got the truck up in the air enough to get the suspension completely unloaded. Was a sketchy endeavor even with the borrowed stands but I was glad to have them. Recently purchased a pair of the 6-ton dual-lock variety stands for myself. Like @cps432 I won't play games when it comes to lifting or working under my truck regardless of the cost. Wheels under the truck at all times and multiple jack stands per side/end holding it up.
I had to get onto my buddy for putting his Miata on 4 stands and removing all the wheels. He was using harbor freight stands... if one of those stands slips or fails, there’s really no telling where gravity is going to take that thing. I always want to have two wheels on the ground unless I have a proper multi thousand dollar lift to keep things stable. However. I’ve seen videos of trucks falling off of those things while mechanics are beneath them pulling transmissions. As soon as the weight of the trans was taken out of the equation the balance went off and the truck flipped off the stand with two people under it holding onto a transmission..... scary s***...

Been there done that on my late 62 (Sold her):(

Take a wheel and tire off and put it under the truck at the rocker, and if you have some short 4x4 blocks lying around use them to get the wheel up even higher, this as a safety catch ...just in case. I used a rolling floor jack to jac the truck up at the axle diff. Once it was all the way up, I used 3.0 ton jack stands to hold the frame up ...but had them all the way extended and on some plywood boards so they would reach. It wasn't ideal and looked tipsy. Heavier jack stands with longer reach would have been much better.

Wheels under the truck at all times

Take a wheel and tire off and put it under the truck at the rocker, and if you have some short 4x4 blocks lying around use them to get the wheel up even higher, this as a safety catch ...just in case.

Exactly this. I have my truck in the air right now doing some previous mistake correction. 6 ton stands at the frame both sides, 3 ton stands at the axle both sides, floor jack under diff, and takeoff wheels both sides slid flat under the truck, just in case. Rear wheels still on and braked. Just working on the front hubs and brakes so no suspension work this time. Maybe overkill but again no need to play games with these heavy beasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom