Lift / Tire Opinion Wanted (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I have a predicament. And I just want to start a discussion to get some opinions on what I should do in my particular situation.

I just acquired a 97 FZJ80 that I am in the process of baselining to be my daily driver.

My state inspection is up at the end of January and I my stock tires have some rot cracking on the outside so they need to be replaced, so I'm forced to invest in new tires now. I ultimately would love to run 315s with new lifted springs, but the lift isnt in the budget right now. I have too many other things to get caught up on with the vehicle.

Can I just get some 50mm coil spacers for now and run it like that for 6 months or so until I'm ready to put the lift on? It wont see much off road use between now and then.

Or just get some cheap stock sized tires and run it like that until i have this vehicle exactly where it needs to be.

Anyway.... would love to hear some input from people more experienced than me.

If you really think it will only be 6 months until you lift it, I'd say get the 315's now. Then get spacers if you actually run into trouble pulling into driveways and whatnot. Might be OK with out the spacers, just depends on how sagged your stock springs are and how "flexy" your normal on-road driving experiences are.

A cursory glance at craigslist for a good deal on used tires is always worth the effort as well. You might find any number of sizes to get you through inspection (275/70, 265/75 or 70, 255/85, 285/75, 295/75, 305/70 etc). Some of those sizes you might be happy with and just decide to wear them out instead of getting 315s.

I’m in your shoes right now, new to me triple locked 97 that was bone stock. Just finished the front axle and will be going to 315’s with a 2-3” lift. I don’t have inspection bearing down on me but I’m shopping for new tires. Mine won’t be my DD but I may buy the tires before the suspension is installed. I’ve seen quite a few pics of 315’s on stock suspensions in the show me your 35’s thread, and they look like they will stuff into the wheel wells no problem. Maybe some minor rubbing under certain circumstances.

I ran 315s with no lift for about 6 months. No issues if your not doing heavy wheeling. My 80 is my DD. My 80 had around 170k on the stock springs and everything fit fine.

Add an OME lift and you are ready to get back on the trails.

I ran 315s with no lift for about 6 months. No issues if your not doing heavy wheeling. My 80 is my DD. My 80 had around 170k on the stock springs and everything fit fine.

Add an OME lift and you are ready to get back on the trails.

Photo for your reference

IMG_20181227_132624.jpg

Your asking for opinions, so here you go. I would not put 35s on a daily driver. While it is still drives OK with 35s, it drives so much better with 33s or less. IMHO, if you are driving mostly on the pavement, be honest with yourself and keep it stock.

315s & coil spacers will be just fine. You will need 1.5 bump stop spacers if you get into off roading.
I'm about to go down to 2" lift & 37s...

fu(k it, go 4Ds or go home.

View attachment 2175052
FO'-D for the WIN!

My truck came with 285s (33)s on blown out stock 21 year old suspension. Its still has the same 285s on a 3" lift and looks stupid as Hell, but I don't care, and I'll gt 315s when they wear out. Get 315s. They'll fit. Get spacers if it bugs you. They're easy to install and remove.

I DD mine.

I drove it for 4 years with 285/75-16 GY Duratracs (33") before I installed an OME 2.5" lift. I get minor amounts of off road, but the Duratracs are great in the snow.

I currently have 73K on my Duratracs, and I will definitely buy them again.

I personally would not do 35's for a DD, but that's up to you.

I want to get these Falkens for summer tires. Get em before they sell out!
Get 315s and new shocks then see where or if they rub. Most 35s fit stock ime except Toyo mts will rub lugs.

Oh yeah, this is a DD. Low lift and 285s. I think I would still do 315s on a DD, but admit that it would be silly.

This has been super helpful. The angel says go with 295, the devil says go with 315s.

I just sold my 2012 Subaru outback and bought this 80. It's parked next to my 60.

I'm 43 with a 2 year old and another on the way. I hate you. All of you.

Leaning 295s at the moment.

This has been super helpful. The angel says go with 295, the devil says go with 315s.

I just sold my 2012 Subaru outback and bought this 80. It's parked next to my 60.

Go with 285's - its a more common size and will get you where you need to go. I also have a toddler (almost 3) and the 80 is currently our "family hauler". With worn out original springs my 285's rub sometimes but I'm planning to go with a Dobinson's stock height replacement or very mild (less than 2") lift in the near future.

1578340776204.png

I love my 295s bfg a/ts. Rides better then the 285s. Get the wits end spare tire kit to push it up and out of the way as far as you can. I have a swing out with a 35 on it on my 71 FJ40. It's nice having spare out of sight and mind on my dd 80.

Yes the last thing I want to do is have to invest in a swing out, not to mention having to swing it every time I open the gate. Great point.

FO'-D for the WIN!

My truck came with 285s (33)s on blown out stock 21 year old suspension. Its still has the same 285s on a 3" lift and looks stupid as Hell, but I don't care, and I'll gt 315s when they wear out. Get 315s. They'll fit. Get spacers if it bugs you. They're easy to install and remove.
Any chance of a pic with 3” lift and 285’s? Thinking of doing this but don’t want to look stupid as .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom