lifespan of the lc200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
when is the end of the series, i know toyota facelifted for 2018, i want to upgrade mine, but i dont want the last year of the 2018 and then new series debuts the next year....

great question - I believe the guys that attend this years LCDC event mentioned that the Toyota NA rep said something about the newer LC being behind on Toyotas typical timeline, ten year, new model release. Many have scoured the web to find their own answers and yet we are all still wondering the same question. Hunker down and ride the wave.

Seems like Toyota is doing some sort of refresh every ~4 years on the LC. I expect the next refresh to come in 2020. That could be the 300, or given that Toyota did a much larger refresh to the 200 in 2016 (body, interior, and transmission) they could try to extend the 200-series platform another few years with a mini-refresh in 2020 and target the 300 for 2022+.

Honestly I would watch what they do with the Tundra and Sequoia. If there are no major mechanical changes (particularly a new engine) over the next few years I would expect the 200 to continue as-is. If Toyota changes the engine design then I would expect an updated 300 to follow a year later.

well, weve had the current 200 for almost 4 years, well probably start looking for a new 2018 then

What changed on the MY18 vs. MY17 besides the optional rear screens which was a huge bonus as I wouldn’t want them

^In 2018 Toyota offered a power hatch with a soft open tail gate on the LC.

As long as people keep giving Toyota money for the same old (yet reliable) stuff they won't refresh any faster than they have to.

If Toyota doesn't stop offering the LC in the US all together - the refresh is likely 2020 with a turbo v6.

Speaking of dinosaurs.... how about that Lexus GX.

About discontinuation concern- It was confirmed at the Breck meeting that Toyota will definitely continue to sell Cruisers in the US post-redesign, so no worries about that.

I just don't see that being so. It'd be easier for Toyota to go the diesel route and help their costs out, if changing out the heart of the LC is really going to happen. You may be right @TonyP but I hope not.

Sadly, the Toyota guy at Breck pretty directly ruled out Diesel version in the US.

Weird how they decide stuff. -Like the reason he said they did away with the FJ Cruiser...?
-Too short a wheel-base and their lawyers balked!!
Bizarro.

Last edited:
Well shoot

Sadly, the Toyota guy at Breck pretty directly ruled out Diesel version in the US.

Weird how they decide stuff. -Like the reason he said they did away with the FJ Cruiser...?
-Too short a wheel-base and their lawyers balked!!
Bizarro.

You're of course assuming that's actually the reason and not simply what he's been told to relay, or that he wasn't making it up on the spot ;)

Actually I thought he said they wouldn't do another 90" wheelbase vehicle because of the lawyers (the FJC was 106") and that Toyota had originally planned to only do one FJC generation when they designed it and had considered trying to extend its life but ended up bailing because sales didn't justify it.

Or maybe I'm conflating what I believe with what he said. I always suspected Toyota ceased production of the FJ Cruiser because sales dropped off to a point that it wasn't really profitable. After the 2008 recession sales never really recovered, unlike the 4Runner which recovered after 2010. The LC is high margin, and it's sold around the world, so it's worth selling even in low volume in the USA. But the FJC was mainly a North American vehicle, so when sales dropped off Toyota was faced with low production and low profit margin, at which point they tried to sell it in some other markets (Australia and New Zealand) and then eventually gave up and let it die.

From Toyota FJ Cruiser - Wikipedia:

upload_2017-11-9_16-30-39.png

From Toyota 4Runner - Wikipedia:

upload_2017-11-9_16-31-38.png

Man, I don't doubt for a second that there are lots of reasons for decisions, and I shouldn't imply that was the ONLY reason... And of course we take everything with some skepticism.

-I recall him mentioning the wheel-base/lawyer thing mainly as an example of how weird details like that can end up killing stuff we wish for, and how the reasons aren't always simple, like marketing or popularity. Can't remember for sure, but I think a question was asked about whether we'd see the FJ Cruiser's return. Either that or questions about the 70. Somewhere in there he mentioned the wheel-base limitation was related to liability concerns, and that the FJ was the shortest they felt they could get away with. None of that really makes much sense to me.... Just passing along what was said.

I think the guy struck all of us as extremely credible about the future of the LC, and I frankly think Slee and other sponsors he was acquainted with would be pretty annoyed if he came to their sponsored event and was just BS-ing... I think he was on the level, telling us what he could, and keeping mum about stuff he couldn't. But who knows...

My memory ain't perfect...and I guess it's all heresy until they show up at the dealer. :frown::poop:

Last edited:
Maybe I’ll just wait for RyanCA to buy the MY18 and sell it a year later for the MY19. Lol!

Ryan-I like White, Silver, gray and Black colors for the LC. Feel free to lift it and throw on some nice Offroad kit upgrades. :steer:;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom