Lexus/Toyota Factory Navigation to 10" screen upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my i-Phone 6 connected right up via BT & wifi, supports hands-free calling/answering via touchscreen (haven't tried any voice-command stuff yet but it's on my to-do list). can also stream from i-phone library via BT however the on-screen visuals don't show anything other than basic pause/advance/rewind (no album cover art etc).
Can you connect the iPhone via USB and access your library that way?
What is the BT audio quality and BT spec supported if known? i.e., early BT audio quality wasn't good and dropped out and lot with lots of pops. I know it has improved a lot, but I find BT audio is generally lacking... If it's good though, I want one of these :)

Can you connect the iPhone via USB and access your library that way?
What is the BT audio quality and BT spec supported if known? i.e., early BT audio quality wasn't good and dropped out and lot with lots of pops. I know it has improved a lot, but I find BT audio is generally lacking... If it's good though, I want one of these :)
yes, the I-Phone (I've used 4, 5 and 6s generation models) are fully functional via bluetooth and/or USB. the BT streaming interface supports hands-free calling/answering and you have access to all contacts... it works quite well, I haven't experienced drop-outs or any audio artifacting, and ambient noise is attenuated

the pre-installed BT app also supports audio streaming however it's a fairly simple interface - I found a better solution by connecting the phone via USB and controlling streaming with one of several Android apps (some pre-installed and others you can download) which offer full functionality while exploiting the large color display. I should add that my audio system's output quality *improved* after installing the Canavie: I get deeper & more profound bass character and the midrange & high frequency notes have better clarity at higher sound pressure levels. the equalizer apps provide a *lot* more tailoring options. also, video comes across great on the big screen.

I used the USB phone interface for awhile to stream my stored music but eventually installed a 1TB USB hard drive (they're getting pretty inexpensive) onto which I loaded all my music & video content, I've found this is more convenient & always available. There is a 2nd USB connection if you need to charge something or connect your phone.

if you enable your phones "hotspot" feature you can stream Pandora, etc. and that works nicely

Last edited:
04 LX, also interested.
I have a pretty healthy amount of experience with Android / using ADB / side loading / minor troubleshooting / log cat running, etc. I'm not a programmer, but pretty experienced with Android.

Also, just my 2 cents, but if I were to develop something like this is do the monitor as a separate piece with a USB/hdmi connector (many on the market around $60) and make the Android bit separate so it can be upgraded, or removed more easily. Plus it would make the setup more modular to allow it to go into different vehicles more easily.

Really something like a raspberry pi + touchscreen would work. The hard part would be getting it to interface with the climate control / trip computer info / existing buttons... just takes someone with a bit of knowledge on that part, and a wiring harness.

Last edited:
yes it works well with LC100
Canavie... how does one connect the factory B/U camera to the unit? which wires are involved? which wires signal it to assume control of the screen when in reverse? will other ongoing functions (ex: streaming audio) continue working when the B/U camera is "on"?

04 LX, also interested.
The hard part would be getting it to interface with the climate control / trip computer info / existing buttons... just takes someone with a bit of knowledge on that part, and a wiring harness.
IIRC both the Canavie & the GROM VLINE are designed to intercept and manipulate signals that pass thru a primary [20-pin?] molex connector that mates to the rear of the display unit; the knowledge base to do this is probably limited, so a bit of reverse engineering would be needed. then you get to write & debug the GUI code. not for sissies!

I'm on the verge of buying a couple, but really need to know if they work well

Can any 100 series owners comment on the bad bits, and if all functions work, such as rear cam

I would also like to have the ability to output video to headrest monitors.... Is this possible?

I'm on the verge of buying a couple, but really need to know if they work well

Can any 100 series owners comment on the bad bits, and if all functions work, such as rear cam

I would also like to have the ability to output video to headrest monitors.... Is this possible?
I've highlighted what you might consider functional discrepancies in the write-up (page 10 of this thread) but to summarize, not all advertised features work the way you might expect. This may be due to my ineptness, the 2003 GEN-03 NAV UZJ-100 configuration, perhaps the canavie design itself, or too much homebrew
:beer:

For example, the [aftermarket] backup camera I installed works, but only by manually selecting the AUX function and connecting the camera through the aux video input (like if you were to attach a video camera to your living room tv) as opposed to being truly integrated and automatically turning on/off when you go into/out-of reverse. also, my ham rig generates NTSC video which displays normally on other monitors but for some reason doesn't properly sync with the canavie display (I realize it's an anamorphic screen but that should only stretch pixels as opposed to jagged instability - that's probably not a typical 'Mud user expectation but it was one of several factors that led me to buy the kit because I was expecting to use the A/V AUX input for this and be able to connect the b/u cam thru a non-AUX port.

Admittedly I'm frustrated with the lack of technical support from canavie which at least 1 other member had made known before I knowingly pulled the trigger, yet the door remains open for them to help (see my inquiry to @Canavie 3 posts previous) - primarily in getting info on how to connect several still-unconnected wires; the possibility exists that these wires - if integrated correctly - would solve these issues. The kit itself has no installation nor operating manual so you're pretty much on your own to figure things out, and the installation video on the canavie website gives a false sense of simplicity IMHO & is mainly about mechanical integration (probably in a non-NA market LC) and offers little in terms of electrical integration.

On balance, most but not of all of the OEM features work (still haven't gotten steering wheel controls to respond) yet I have access to all my media, hands-free phone, the b/u cam and of course a world of apps. It's a mixed bag but mostly on the good side. If only canavie would respond! if you have any other questions just ask & I'll try to help

regarding the headrest monitors: the canavie kit provides 2 VIDEO-OUT RCA connectors that are probably intended for this. my vehicle doesn't have rear seat monitors but when I get home tonite I'll see about connecting something and will post an update

still haven't gotten steering wheel controls to respond
On post #147 on this thread it is indicated that the steering controls work. So, do they or don't they, or to what extent? :)

Also, does the antenna control work, or should an install figure to move to a fixed antenna? (my antenna is currently broken and I'm trying to figure out which route to take...)

On post #147 on this thread it is indicated that the steering controls work. So, do they or don't they, or to what extent? :)

Also, does the antenna control work, or should an install figure to move to a fixed antenna? (my antenna is currently broken and I'm trying to figure out which route to take...)
the steering control "mode" button works, but the volume & mute functions do not. the mode button cycles through the usual FM1/FM2/AM modes and enables/disables audio (together with the antenna being either up or down) when in the Car-PC mode. at least that's how I get the system to work in my rig. quirky, huh?

i should add that most of the steering wheel buttons still work normally when in "OEM" mode

the antenna up/down switch also works normally, in all modes

ok, so I tested the VIDEO OUT 1 & 2 with a 4:3 studio ntsc monitor, they do indeed duplicate whatever is displayed on the main screen (although compressed horizontally from 16:9 to the sony's 4:3 aspect; if you use 16:9 rear seat monitors you won't experience this distortion). i then connected a vector-waveform scope to verify signal quality. good to go

for giggles I connected the IC-7000 video-out to see if it would display properly (on the sony) and it shows a nice normal overscan image (now curious why the b/u cam video signal isn't unstable - must be anamorphic)

Does the Canavie unit adjust brightness based on headlights being on or off? Any comments on visibility/brightness for both day and night use? I know it is recommended to get an anti-glare screen protector... Also, any videos of the system screens and operation would help me finalize a decision... :)

Does the Canavie unit adjust brightness based on headlights being on or off? Any comments on visibility/brightness for both day and night use? I know it is recommended to get an anti-glare screen protector... Also, any videos of the system screens and operation would help me finalize a decision... :)
the screen brightness levels can be adjusted with a touchscreen slider control, and there's a quick-access "pulldown" feature so you can conveniently cycle between day/night/off brightness levels. as I mentioned there are a couple unconnected wires, one of which *might* be intended for auto-illumination control, just didn't figure that part out during my install experiments. maybe it's time to explore some more

i did capture several videos of screen operation but they're a bit large to upload to the thread, if you have other ideas I'm game

if anyone wants to see the Canavie post-install demo videos, I uploaded them to a DropBox folder... PM & I'll add you to the list

Last edited:
Subbed to come back later

My Sirius radio just stopped working and replacing the module will cost me $300. I'm also interested in a new system for my 2006 LX470. Why hasn't anyone figured this out yet?

Cool. The URL does not specify the years LX/LC that its compatible with.

Anyone have video of this installed or an updated review?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom