Lexus/Toyota Factory Navigation to 10" screen upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have purchased this Android head unit (2G, 'high' model) from Aliexpress.com and I have received it today. So, it is NOT from the Canavie, Naviav or Seicane sources mentioned in this thread, but it's similar in the sense that the A/C ECUs will have to be 'transplanted' to an empty metal box. Even the screen looks pretty similar for all three.

I intend to take pictures of the install (I have 10 days to get it to work or to return the unit for a full refund, which is an Aliexpress 'feature') and write a how-to.

Question: Should I start a new thread?

Last edited:
I have purchased this Android head unit (2G, 'high' model) from Aliexpress.com and I have received it today. So, it is NOT from the Canavie, Naviav or Seicane sources mentioned in this thread, but it's similar in the sense that the A/C ECUs will have to be 'transplanted' to an empty metal box. Even the screen looks pretty similar for all three.

I intend to take pictures of the install (I have 10 days to get it to work or to return the unit for a full refund, which is an Aliexpress 'feature') and write a how-to.

Question: Should I start a new thread?

Link the thread here if you can so that those of us subscribed can jut follow the new link and not miss it. Thanks for doing this!

WaterCruiser...you really did a great job. And took the risk in the first place. Congrats dude! And thanks from all of us...even the LX470 owners who currently can't use this specific unit.

For all other LX470 lurkers, I've been having email conversations with Andy at Canavie for a while now. I can confirm that they have currently withdrawn units saying that they support the LX. Here's what Andy had to say:

"As you have said there is no issue with Land Cruiser. anyone installed it with LX470 without issues in the forum? some of our customers had issues with LX470. so We just stopped it for LX470 currently but not stopped it for LC100!

We sold several ones to USA for LX470 and tried to contact these friends but without any response from them. So we are not sure if it can work well with LX470 from USA. However, this unit works perfectly with LC100 and LX470 from Mid-East countries.

In Nov there was a friend Charles from USA also inquired this unit for LX470. He said LX470 popular in USA and this unit would be in high demand. he also said he would try a sample but no further response from him...

A friend from Australia installed it with his LX470 and found some issues. He was very nice and he didn't return it. Since then we stopped selling it for LX470

On 6th Jan 2017, a friend Caleb from USA inquired it for LX470, he recevied my reponse as you saw in the forum.

This is the full story. I hope it will be helpful for you and other friends in the forum. Will you or any other friends in the forum still want to test it with LX470?"

That last question is something I told him that there's a few of us, at least. seanz0rz, jLB, deanfun, myself. I don't know if 4 customers is enough to justify it but...

If there are any other LX470 owners lurking and would like to throw your hat into the ring...speak up. I can let Andy know.

Again, WaterCruiser...my hat is off to you. if you want to crowdfund yourself some beer for your work, I'm in. I'll gladly send you a gift certificate for your nearest craft beer brewery!

Count me in. My 2005 LX470 head unit works but has begun getting a little buggy... I'd prefer to replace it with modern Tech. I have the bluetooth adapter Toybox for From installed and don't love it. Having volume issues when switching between bluetooth and radio. Almost blew my speakers out the other day when I hung up a call. But watching to see how Grom does with their new infotainment system.

Last edited:
in

@andy: Now I'm confused, How can you tell that this product is the wrong unit (and that the unit you suggested to me would have been wrong too)? I sent you both the same picture of my console and you both were pretty confident it's the right one.

By the way: I'm impressed you read this, This kind of support adds value to the product. I chose Aliexpress because people in this thread mentioned that there was NO support from you (Canavie). From Aliexpress I expected no support (which is what I got). My calculator and the Buyers Protection sealed the deal. (Although I'm having a ton of issues with it, I'm keeping it: having an Android tablet in the car is sooo much better than the Toyota MFD.)

I'm not sure where this hardware comes from, but wouldn't it be great if the manufacturer would publish what hardware is in it, so us open-source guys could use the platform to iron out all of the bugs? The manufacturer will keep doing what they do best (build hardware) and eventually we will be relieved of the uncertainty about 'will it work' that most of us struggle with. In other words: once these units work reliably, almost any LandCruiser 100 out there is a candidate and your sales will sky-rocket.

@andy: Now I'm confused, How can you tell that this product is the wrong unit (and that the unit you suggested to me would have been wrong too)? I sent you both the same picture of my console and you both were pretty confident it's the right one.

By the way: I'm impressed you read this, This kind of support adds value to the product. I chose Aliexpress because people in this thread mentioned that there was NO support from you (Canavie). From Aliexpress I expected no support (which is what I got). My calculator and the Buyers Protection sealed the deal. (Although I'm having a ton of issues with it, I'm keeping it: having an Android tablet in the car is sooo much better than the Toyota MFD.)

I'm not sure where this hardware comes from, but wouldn't it be great if the manufacturer would publish what hardware is in it, so us open-source guys could use the platform to iron out all of the bugs? The manufacturer will keep doing what they do best (build hardware) and eventually we will be relieved of the uncertainty about 'will it work' that most of us struggle with. In other words: once these units work reliably, almost any LandCruiser 100 out there is a candidate and your sales will sky-rocket.
I need to say. I don't answer questions here. We respond to all questions by email. I am sorry if any inconvenience. In addition, we accept paypal. there is also buyer prorection. We answered questions anytime no matter it is in or out of protection. otherwise, how can we survive?! thank you.

That can be done now without changing the head unit. I have replaced all 4 speakers and I reconed the sub because space is more a concern with my use case. There are a ton of links in the forum on that topic and some good step by step with pictures for the speaker replacement. You have to modify your stock speaker brackets but it is a :banana: job for sure....
From your profile.pic.looks.like.you are running an lc. The lx is a different story. The head unit is an odd om rating and there really has been no upgrades without losing the ac... until this thread!

From your profile.pic.looks.like.you are running an lc. The lx is a different story. The head unit is an odd om rating and there really has been no upgrades without losing the ac... until this thread!
Lol... 15 pages of reading... this product looks like snake oil. I hope.one day someone fixes the lx head unit nightmare!

Hi guys!

Lurking around here for a long while while deciding to go the LC100 route and pulled the trigger sometime in May on a 2003 1HD-FTE amazon spec LC100.

Have multiple things going on with the car ,small updates and gremlins sorted. Will be discussing that in other relevant threads.

As far as the navigation upgrade goes, got a android 6.0 HU of aliexpress 2GB Ram Android 6.01 10.2inch Car DVD Gps For Toyota LandCruiser 100 Lexus LX470 Car Head Unit Stereo Radio Navigation Audio 4G-in Car Multimedia Player from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group.
By the looks of it its the Seicane units(or cavanie, they both look essentially similar)So did have a lot of troubleshooting to get done

Special shout out to watercruiser for his great writeup and thts what convinced me to take the plunge :)

Some feedback on the major issues being discussed here:
- right of the bat, the housing sent with the HU for transplanting the circuitory was incorrect. Though specifically mentioned the model of the car, it came back wrong, and had to cut up a lot of the housing to accomodate. The mojnting points for screws were also in the wrong place so had to 1redo that too
- This version and the hardware overall is pretty stable. Yes the aluminium bezel runs hot to start but it kinda goes away after a bit
- The screen is pretty responsive , doesnt have glare issues . Overall the thing is good as in apps dont crash etc
- The tape function doesnt work after the install, and the button acts as a shortcut to toggle between the android functions and the pre android setup
- the auto reverse camera is working . Required a good amount of faith whilst splicing into a wire which was marked as reverse but based on the configuration and wiring at the back . It didnt switch automatically on selecting reverse gear at first ( i believe there is another wire tht could work out this function but couldnt figure it out) so v hooked it up to the reverse light connection to get power.
- had issues initially on the aircon selection, specifically how to select the desired temperature. turns out it can be done with the AC button switched off. Works that way and also the outside temperature ping is working perfectly
-the range and fuel consumption screen does not get any info. Havent been able to work it out so far
- front cam connected and selected through aux . Works well
- steering controls work well right off the bat. No issues
- there was no bluetooth toggle for connecting an OBD2 connector etc ( no issue with the phone as a seperate app which is used to sync up with phone works flawlessly, and you ping the HU with the phone connection) however this issue gets resolved if a 3rd part app for bluetooth toggle is downloaded
- the 3.5mm solution for the sound output is rudimentary at best. Sound quality is not all that great, and currently not at par with the sound produced via the cd changer. Also the equalizer doesnt help with the subwoofer control. There are two sets of equalisers ,one works...and the balance controls are hit & miss. The non android setup equalizer still works though. This overall is something i need to work out and still need to setup properly

Major gripes:
- its a nuisance when you are in android mode, enjoying music and feel like tinkering with the air conditioning. That abruptly cuts off the music, and takes you to whatever the pre android HU was last playing, radio or cd etc.....feels very jarring and destroys the experience
- you cant use navigation /google maps AND radio/cd simaltenously. Cd no issue but radio yeah well , tht could be better

Thanks for all the help on these forums till yet. Will be asking a lot more questions all over, and hope i can do my but and help out wherever i can.
Cheers

Ps: this wasnt diy. Had a sound expert do up the install for me, and sorry didnt take pics as i was too freaked out about something shortcircuiting or frizzing up

Will this fit LC100 1999?

Don’t think so. I believe it’s 2003-07.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom