Lexus LX 450 VS Lexus GX 460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Again, it all comes back to what you want to do with the vehicle.

Lifting the GX by any more than 3" will put serious strain on the CV axles (which are inherently way weaker than the solid axle in an 80). If wheeled hard, stuff will break more often. Fitting anything larger than 33" tires will take a body lift or some sort of surgery that most people don't want to do on a late-model Lexus.

They can still be built up into a pretty good off roader (heck, there are plenty of 4Runners and Prados out there that I wouldn't mind owning). It will never be capable off road vehicle that the 80 is unless you really go wild, chop it up and put a solid axle under the front.

I will have to agree...

but from the sounds of things the OP isn't wheeling the LX hard anyway....

I have both and love both. I would never take the GX places I take the 80. I also wouldn't hold a mint 80 for my sons first car. That is an 80 to hang on to. Save it maybe for college graduation gift. Broke ass kid won't be able to afford fuel anyway:)

Your GX in the USA is a Prado right?

Capable vehicle, Alot nicer on road due to the IFS setup, probably better on fuel too. All that being said its not 80 series hehe.

The 80 is more built for rugged terrain, alot of aftermarket parts and one day should appreciate...

Id have the "GX" for a daily and days out like beach etc, but then have the 80 as the rugged warrior.

....IMO it all comes down to what you want to drive. Either you want a Land Cruiser or you don't....

That is exactly right and nuff said.

Just curious if those of you that say GX are distinguishing between the 470 and 460? I haven't seen a lifted or modified 460 but admittedly haven't looked. Only a 470 and they can be built pretty nicely. Are the platforms that similar that aftermarket market parts swap? Or is there aftermarket support for the 460?

You still haven't mentioned the intended use of the new Rig. If you want a stock ride then not an issue but you mention KDSS as a draw so we are left to assume you may want to modify and or use for light to moderate offroad.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

'Nuff said :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Just curious if those of you that say GX are distinguishing between the 470 and 460? I haven't seen a lifted or modified 460 but admittedly haven't looked. Only a 470 and they can be built pretty nicely. Are the platforms that similar that aftermarket market parts swap. Or is there aftermarket support for the 460.

You still haven't mentioned the intended use of the new Rig. If you want a stock ride then not an issue but you mention KDSS as a draw so we are left to assume you may want to modify and or use for light to moderate offroad.

View attachment 962461 View attachment 962462 View attachment 962463

Best post I've seen in at least 6 months! :cheers:
Hilarious!

Thanks again fellas. Good pros and cons. Your posts have definitely been a good source of information for me and perhaps for others who may want to make the change from an 80 to a GX 460 or considering a GX 460.

As requested. Here are some pics.

First pics from when I bought the truck 4-5 yrs ago.

DSC_0323.JPG

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0361.JPG
DSC_0364.JPG

Just curious if those of you that say GX are distinguishing between the 470 and 460? I haven't seen a lifted or modified 460 but admittedly haven't looked. Only a 470 and they can be built pretty nicely. Are the platforms that similar that aftermarket market parts swap? Or is there aftermarket support for the 460?

View attachment 962461 View attachment 962462 View attachment 962463

Ya agreed. Theres nothing good looking about those first 2 station wagons. The 3rd one... well nuff said.

And it remains covered most of the time in my garage.

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3345.JPG

IMG_6097.JPG

To answer the above posts about my intended use of the GX. I wanted a plush suv for family outings/camping/a lil' trail action. When I take the wife and kids out with my '96 they always claim it's too "shaky" and blah blah blah.

I figured if the vehicle was a nicer ride with a lil' more of the creature comforts, then they would be more apt to "cruise" out for more outings..

That LX450 is just a bad depreciating asset sitting in your garage. Might as well go burn money. I hate to see people suffer. I could probably help out, maybe give you bluebook for it so you don't have to worry about it anymore. Must be a pain to have to keep checking the blankets and arguing with the family about it.

That is a beautiful specimen. Keep it and use it. Or sell it to someone who will appreciate it for how special it is. Hell call the miller family up and inquire if they want it for the LC heritage museum. That may buy you most of the gx

It's not that I don't appreciate the truck. I've owned 3 80s in the last 7 years. Shoot. I wish I still had my OG 91. I just did tons of work on '96 and it runs like a top! I have the sickness.

I was leaning way towards keeping the truck. Your replies just solidified what i knew all along. I just needed straight forward opinions and comparisons between the trucks.

Most people tell me that it's a lame idea for saving a vehicle for a kid who's only 3. Shoot. 15+ years from now I don't even know if my son will dig a truck like our 80s.

That's cool that's it's for your son. But, really, even if he doesn't want it you win. It doesn't really matter.

That's a 30k LX all day long. Probably one of the very last. Keep it.

That car will never be your son's car. Mine is in the best condition of any I have seen live. Yours would have mine beat. I will trade you my mint LX with 170k miles for yours plus 5k. Then you'd still have everything you have now, with $5k extra in your hands.

It's not that I don't appreciate the truck. I've owned 3 80s in the last 7 years. Shoot. I wish I still had my OG 91. I just did tons of work on '96 and it runs like a top! I have the sickness.

I was leaning way towards keeping the truck. Your replies just solidified what i knew all along. I just needed straight forward opinions and comparisons between the trucks.

Most people tell me that it's a lame idea for saving a vehicle for a kid who's only 3. Shoot. 15+ years from now I don't even know if my son will dig a truck like our 80s.

I agree with you that the gx is probably a better vehicle for the family, my wife doesn't want to be in the LX either. That being said if you do want to sell it I am local with cash in hand! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom