Lexus GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang, sorry to hear this... I would try a partial drain but would only consider it temporary, my guess is you're going to need work inside... sorry to be negative but it seems that when these go, there's not a lot to do but repair/replace
Thanks Pick. I'm wondering if the dealer or the person that sold to the dealer knew about the code. Other than the new problem, this thing is super clean

Hi Guys,

I've been stalking this thread for a bit after my 2013 4runner was stolen a little over a month ago. I was looking at GX460s and the thread popped up(brushed off as relatively infrequent after talking to a mechanic). I shopped around for low miles and good maintenance records until I found one with 96k miles. I finally picked it up last Friday, drove maybe 150 miles since, and what a surprise to find on a cold morning(Check engine, trac off, 4low lights). Lo and behold it's P2714. I'm trying not to lose my head but the dealer I bought it from ensured I signed off "as-is." So - knowing the information in the thread - any advice on first steps? Take it to a shop and have them partially drain fluid? Replace the solenoids?
The dealership I work at has a 30 day/3k mile warranty on there “as is” sales. I think it’s mandatory where I’m at. Check your sales contract.

The dealership I work at has a 30 day/3k mile warranty on there “as is” sales. I think it’s mandatory where I’m at. Check your sales contract.
So unfortunately, no warranty and that's verify explicit. However, interesting development that hopefully remedies my situation and others for future reference: In the state of Colorado if a vehicle fails or is rejected from testing, you must return the vehicle to the dealer within the required (5 day) period. In Colorado vehicles 8 through 11 years old are inspected via onboard diagnostics. A check engine light is an auto fail. Follow up question - if the dealer takes it back and repairs - does anyone have any advice on verifying that the issue has truly been fixed other than the light being off? Is there a certain method or inspection I should have a 3rd party do to be sure the problem has been fixed?

This doesn’t help you now but I’ve been telling others to run a scan at purchase time to see when codes were last erased

On the 11 years is that model years or since first registered or sold new?

img_3517_9d3ff97b7e82c829d3aaf80e9df708e4bcda611f.png

Hi Guys,

I've been stalking this thread for a bit after my 2013 4runner was stolen a little over a month ago. I was looking at GX460s and the thread popped up(brushed off as relatively infrequent after talking to a mechanic). I shopped around for low miles and good maintenance records until I found one with 96k miles. I finally picked it up last Friday, drove maybe 150 miles since, and what a surprise to find on a cold morning(Check engine, trac off, 4low lights). Low and behold it's P2714. I'm trying not to lose my head but the dealer I bought it from ensured I signed off "as-is." So - knowing the information in the thread - any advice on first steps? Take it to a shop and have them partially drain fluid? Replace the solenoids?
Find a GOOD transmission shop with a LOT of 5 star Yelp reviews and have them take a look at it before doing any physical work to it.
Not to laugh at your 4R situation (sorry to hear that), but I find it a little humorous that in Colorado they steel 4R's but in cities, it's Hyundai's! I guess the thieves in Colorado need the 4 wheel drives!

That helps Acrad! I might be able to show that somebody cleared it before I bought it for some firepower. And r2m - thanks for the advice! The car theft out here is crazy. It's comically insane the way this whole run of issues has progressed

Reactions: r2m
Dang, sorry to hear this... I would try a partial drain but would only consider it temporary, my guess is you're going to need work inside... sorry to be negative but it seems that when these go, there's not a lot to do but repair/replace
To you guys who have completely replaced your transmission, do you not have any fear this issue will come again?
I’m just scared if I spend $8,000 getting a new transmission put in xxx miles down the road the same thing is going to happen. Or do you think some transmissions have this problem and others never will?

No fear at all here... I do plan to change the fluid every 30k miles or so but the first one made it to 180k miles and I believe the OEM replacement will do that or better.

No fear at all here... I do plan to change the fluid every 30k miles or so but the first one made it to 180k miles and I believe the OEM replacement will do that or better.
I just bought a GX460 a few days ago, I have the same symptoms and codes as talked about on this thread, it won't shift past 3rd unless it's warm. My vehicle only has 85K, which doesn't instill confidence that the new transmission will last much longer.
Why is buying the new rebuilt Toyota transmission a safer option over just rebuilding the valve body and solenoids that is currently in the vehicle. I do understand from reading that the people who went the rebuilding valve body route did not end up working, just trying to find out why.

To you guys who have completely replaced your transmission, do you not have any fear this issue will come again?
I’m just scared if I spend $8,000 getting a new transmission put in xxx miles down the road the same thing is going to happen. Or do you think some transmissions have this problem and others never will?
Transmissions going out on GX's are not a common problem like other manufacturers (trucks from GM, Ford). If this was a chronic problem with Lexus and Toyota's there would be tons of threads, posts, websites about the issues. Also, there would be a ton of fixes, how-to's, and any other cost saving ways of getting around a bad transmission.
So, in short, don't sweat it. If it was a chronic problem, there would be a whole lot more noise about it on the net. Just keep it serviced on schedule or as necessary.

• Wow
As of last week national backorder in US for these AT's were at -----------> 87

PN: 3501035B7084

A1_357595_35000.png
View attachment 3279547
Yes, thats what Matt Patrick told me today.
Does anyone have any experience with extended warranties with this issue? What happens when I turn in my vehicle on warranty and the rebuilt transmission is on back order? Doubt they give me a loaner to wait it out.. but I cant see them wanting me to continue to drive the vehicle to possibly make things worse either.

Extended warranties are usually not a good idea financially on a well-built vehicle like a Toyota/Lexus. Take the same money you'd pay for the warranty and put it in an investment account. If you need a transmission 5 years form now, pull out the money. If not you get to pocket the money and use it for something else :)

I will say the 6-speed in the 460 seems to have more problems than the 5-speed in the 470, at least ancedotally. Quite a few reports of 6-speed problems on there, whereas there are relatively few for the 5-speeds. Still better than a Ford/GM/Chrysler product but they do seem more failure prone.

I still suspect general lack of OEM external air cooler on 460 over the years (aside from recent exceptions and other markets), along with the related higher temps, and generally no fluid maintenance has increased failure rate but I don't have specific statistics to back that up.

I still suspect general lack of OEM external air cooler on 460 over the years (aside from recent exceptions and other markets), along with the related higher temps, and generally no fluid maintenance has increased failure rate but I don't have specific statistics to back that up.
Certainly seems plausible. My 470 w/the OEM cooler would get pretty darn hot when pulling grades in non-lockup gears. Coupling even less cooling capacity with no fluid changes, this seems like a good way to kill a transmission.

As a side note, I had my GX in my local independent shop for an alignment a few weeks ago. I was chatting with the shop manager - here in SE Missouri (American car country) and he flat out told me that most newer Ford/GM/Mopar vehicles are total junk, especially the transmissions in GM vehicles and turbo engines in Ford vehicles. He said he tells everyone who asks him to buy a Toyota or a Honda, and preferably and older one.

Last edited:
Extended warranties are usually not a good idea financially on a well-built vehicle like a Toyota/Lexus. Take the same money you'd pay for the warranty and put it in an investment account. If you need a transmission 5 years form now, pull out the money. If not you get to pocket the money and use it for something else :)

I will say the 6-speed in the 460 seems to have more problems than the 5-speed in the 470, at least ancedotally. Quite a few reports of 6-speed problems on there, whereas there are relatively few for the 5-speeds. Still better than a Ford/GM/Chrysler product but they do seem more failure prone.
That was exactly my thoughts when I turned down the extended warranty 5 days ago when I bought this 2014 GX460. But after driving it home, I know now the transmission is an issue which makes me scared of the entire truck or the reliability going forward. I can still purchase the extended warranty at this point, but what good will it do if theres a huge back order on the rebuilt transmissions?

Im also in Southeast MO.

How well does rebuilding the existing trans work? Or are those parts on back order too?

How well does rebuilding the existing trans work? Or are those parts on back order too?
I'm not sure, that's why in a previous reply I asked the following
Why is buying the new rebuilt Toyota transmission a safer option over just rebuilding the valve body and solenoids that is currently in the vehicle. I do understand from reading that the people who went the rebuilding valve body route did not end up working, just trying to find out why.

Many of the failures I have seen reported weren’t actually the valve body even though codes pointed that direction. It ended up being TC failure which caused subsequent damage.
Now that the codes have been set, are you saying the TC has already damaged the other components in the transmission?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom