Let's Talk Mobile Radios... UHF and Multi-band (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like I said they work good not great. I use a mag mount antenna and I have mine cranked up to 5 and 8 watts using the mag mount.

The problem could have been everybody else’s radio if they weren’t programmed by the same chirp file, or weren’t programmed at all. Issues like “can receive but not transmit“, etc, are likely due to that IIRC.

The squelch codes are most likely the issue.

History: Back in the early days of two way radio, the radios had carrier squelch only (think CB radio) the user heard everything on that frequency. As radios became popular in the business world and due to the limited number of frequencies for business use, the users had to share frequencies. So, on a given business frequency there were multiple users (Fred the plumber, Sam the tow truck, Ed the electrician, etc., etc.) and they didn't want to have to listen to each other's comms. To fix this, the radio manufacturers developed tone coded squelch. Each users would have their own tone. Their transmitters would transmit a low frequency tone that would open the squelch on their receivers. Without a tone or without the correct tone the receiver would not pass any audio. This did not add any privacy, because a receiver without or disabled tone coded squelch would hear everything.

Types of coded squelch:
CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch) The transmitter transmits a continuous analog tone. The receiver only passes audio when the tone is present. Also known as PL (Private Line) Motorola's trade name for CTCSS.
DCS (Digital Coded Squelch) The transmitter transmits a continuous digital stream. The receiver only passes audio when the digital stream is present. Because of a limited number of CTCSS tones DCS was created to expand the number of available squelch codes. Also known as DPL (Digital Private Line) Motorola's trade name for DCS.
Since the operator can't hear other users on the frequency when CTCSS/DCS is enabled, the radio with typically have a visual indicator (LED, display changes color or symbol on the display) when the receiver is recieving a signal (comms with a different CTCSS/DCS squelch code). This is to avoid transmitting when a conversation with a different squelch code is in progress.

Symptoms:
Obviously, the radios need to be on the same radio frequency.
A receiver in carrier squelch mode (no or disabled CTCSS/DCS) will hear everything.
A receiver with CTCSS or DCS enabled will only pass audio when the correct CTCSS or DCS code is being transmitted.

I can hear them but they can't hear me:
- My radio is in carrier squelch mode (no transmit or receive CTCSS or DCS enabled) so I can hear them and every other user (with no code or a different CTCSS or DCS code) on the channel. Their radio's receiver is in CTCSS or DCS enabled mode so they can't hear me because I am not transmitting any CTCSS or DCS codes.

We are on the same frequency but can't hear each other:
- Most likely the CTCSS or DCS codes are mismatched. Different manufacturers have different numbers for the codes. For example, Motorola 612 is a Midland 68.

If the radio was programmed by a CLCC member using a chirp file, I would hope it is correct. Therefore, I would suspect the other radio(s) as not being properly programmed.

Hope this helps.

Mine has been programmed twice by club members laptops, so I assume that’s Chirp. The second program didn’t improve things and the other radios in my group were experiencing similar issues. I’ll bring it to the next meeting to see if anyone wants to take one last stab at it.
Yes, we have had virtually no issues with the BF radios when programmed via CHIRP with the club's freq program.

Do any of the ham radio online retailers do good Black Friday deals?

the new Yaesu FTM-300 looks interesting.

Do any of the ham radio online retailers do good Black Friday deals?

the new Yaesu FTM-300 looks interesting.
So, I didn't look hard at the specifications for that radio, but you want to find a radio that will transmit on the 46x.xxx freqs. Many radios say dual band, but they have been restricted from the factory from transmitting on those freqs and can only monitor them.
Some can be modified called a MARS mod (i do not condone this, wink) by clipping a diode or removing a chip, to transmit on those freqs.
So, I just looked it up and this radio and indeed, it needs the MARS mod to transmit on our club freqs.
@emorth

Yep. Any off-the-shelf real amateur (ham) radio will not transmit outside of the ham bands - without the mod. Commercial FCC “type accepted“ radios made to transmit on commercial & public safety freqs can usually be programmed to transmit on the ham freqs. The Chinese eBay radios are sometimes in a grey area between the ham and commercial FCC requirements.

So if I’m understanding correctly the options are buy a yaesu/kenwood/etc ham and do the mod (gasp...wink), find a type accepted radio, run a dedicated ham and dedicated grms, or use a Chinese radio.

I’ve got a baofeng handheld so all set with that but would like to add a dedicated radio at some point.

Last edited:
I run a yeasu7900 that fixed ;) for me and does everything I need it to. I even loaded a the full emorth chirp package with all the repeaters.

I run a yeasu7900 that fixed ;) for me and does everything I need it to. I even loaded a the full emorth chirp package with all the repeaters.
you mean the one you shouldnt touch without having the MOM ( Manufacturer's Owner Manual ) on hand?

you mean the one you shouldnt touch without having the MOM ( Manufacturer's Owner Manual ) on hand?
Yup, fortunately mr. emorth was there to mash buttons and make it come back.

i would still like to sit down with the comunication brain trust when there is time and a good internet connection and see if we can get the midland grms radios to work with the clubs radios
OR
will i end up buying one of these and having it and the grms in the truck

Amazon product ASIN B07LG92WF8

@Svensk120 what model Midland do you have?
it is the MXT115.... you downloaded the instructions and all and we tried it while at Fall Crawl but it wasn't really the right time to spend on it. We had gotten it to partially work but again... wasn't the right time to fool about with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom