Lets see your rigs packed for a trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I bring a lot, as I near senior citizenship, I tend to bring more :D
Plus I have a lot of new gear this year I am going to try out, so no doubt I will weed back a bit next time.
And that chuckbox takes up a lotta room, I am thinking about getting a custom one built over the winter that is made out of aluminum, and smaller.
The dimensions on this one could be cut down some.
Plus I am hauling enough gear for two people for my upcoming vacation.

1.jpg

Alubox pantry on the bottom, my Bad Bag duffle bag (we will cram hers somewhere), camera backpack, tripod & case, and Outback Porta-Privy.
I have the Nemo Heliopolis, but I did not have good luck trying to set it up yesterday, but I am going to pack it anyways, and maybe with more room out in the wild, we can get it setup.
Also hard to see are two Eezi-Awn K9 medium stainless steel camping tables strapped to the side of the fridge.
Best tables I have ran across so far.

2.jpg

Great American Camp Chair in the bottom green bag, Coleman lantern stand, maroon stuff sack for the footmat that goes under the roof top tents ladder, and the Katanaboy saw for firewood.
The chuckbox, Renogy 100 watt solar panel, Blue Ridge Chair Works chair, Big Kahuna 12v shower, and 7 gallon water container.

3.jpg

National Luna Weekender 50 fridge/freezer (stays in the rig full time), kind of buried to the left of the fridge are two Aluboxes, one for Goal Zero LED lanterns, two propane lanterns, and the bigger Alubox on the bottom has towels, tent stakes, several Coleman propane cylinders, and other misc. stuff.
Also the Pett toilet and cedar stand you stand on in the shower is in the black case on top of the Alubox.

4.jpg

Another view form the previous picture.
Ill tell ya I hated the idea of paying 200plus for an alu box, but they are really good bits o gear. I like your set up a lot. Ill post mine up as soon as its all packed up 45 days on road going nowhere in particular. except of course rubicon, black bear pass and MOAB again.

View attachment 1510844 View attachment 1510845 View attachment 1510846 View attachment 1510847 View attachment 1510849

Bulky stuff (annex room, recovery gear, tables, chairs, stools etc) goes in the big tote, compressor and accessories goes in the small one, one aluminum box for kitchen gear, one aluminum box for gear (lanterns, rope, saw, hatchet, etc.). Not pictured my clothing carry-on, two ammo boxes for dry food, another water jug, and my recovery tracks.
Nice tow things when we gonna hook up for a meet? second what type of boxes are the aluminiums??

Ill tell ya I hated the idea of paying 200plus for an alu box, but they are really good bits o gear. I like your set up a lot. Ill post mine up as soon as its all packed up 45 days on road going nowhere in particular. except of course rubicon, black bear pass and MOAB again.
Thanks, I have gotten a lot of nice new equipment over the past year.
Yes, the Alu-boxes are expensive, but great to pass on down to the sons when I croak :D
The best thing I like about them there is no wasted space like other boxes I have used in the past.

Thanks, I have gotten a lot of nice new equipment over the past year.
Yes, the Alu-boxes are expensive, but great to pass on down to the sons when I croak :D
The best thing I like about them there is no wasted space like other boxes I have used in the past.
exactly why I piccked up the 81 liter cversion its big and it guarentees Ill buy more because well they stack lololo

All packed up for a 3 week road trip back in August. For being the first trial of the drawers/platform, it worked out great. Moving forward Ill need to add a few extra braces to reinforce the top of the platform near the front seats, and add better drawer handles.

20626736_1506045482772420_8957001833673001619_o.jpg

Last edited:
On a month long trip with wife, kid & two pooches...

I decided to do without the single Jerry can carrier and installed an aluminess galley box... surprisingly light, with tons of storage space... also weather proof.... tried and tested...

View attachment 1512544

Manuchao did you make that awning or buy it?

This thread reminds me why I want to build a trailer. Here's my last big trip before putting my co-pilots gear in. Everything has to come out at night in order to make the cot to sleep in the truck. Then in the morning everything has to go back in and get strapped down. View attachment 1519749

The roof rack is a game changer. Those same two boxes that take up the entire back floor of my 80 go on top with room to spare. Camp chairs which are always awkward to pack, also on top. I even have room down the sides for additional gear.
IMG_3766.JPG
IMG_3833.JPG
Now the inside of the rig can be used for hauling people and a few small backpacks with personal gear. I'm super happy with this setup. Still want a trailer for the longer trips though.

Lightly loaded for a biking trip in the woods. Tent, sleeping bag, bedroll, clothes, bike gear, tools, bike, water and a small cooler on the passenger side floor (to reach while driving).

full

Looking at this thread, i think a few of you might be overestimating the amount of stuff you actually need on a trip. Even with the kids and wife we try to pack light; i like being able to see out my back window.

Nice tow things when we gonna hook up for a meet? second what type of boxes are the aluminiums??
It would definitely be cool to hook up for a meet up! Those are the Hunsdorff (sp?) boxes, out of some Euro country (Denmark?), they always say they don't export them across the pond, but I think I may have used a UK Amazon account to get them. There is a link in one of the container threads about them.

This is my setup, we are doing long-term trips in Europe/Asia. Last year we spent three months in the car, this year two months.

Here is the kitchen, we are using Kanza kitchen setup with Coleman burner. Works really good. Also have the ARB outback drawers which is nice to have. I have built wooden box to have some more space on the back to put things on top.
back-of-the-car.61329

back-of-the-car.61329

Gordigear tent and extension, works really good. Trasharoo and shower tent. Little detail of the hose of our water system (with heater)

All shabang unpacked, Gordigear awning which has also mesh room. We have three big boxes on top of our roof rack.

Here is a detail of the back from recent trip. If you zoom into the picture you will see the fridge drop added. (DS45 Fridge Drop Slide | MSA 4X4 Accessories)

Car itself as packed:

Last edited:
I welcome any tips you have. I have only taken one trip in my Cruiser and it was a bare bones trip. I have camped many times out of a full sized pickup truck so storage was never really a problem. I am heading out in a few weeks and I am trying to figure out how I am going to pack all my gear. Here is a photo of what I have now.
IMG_3113.JPG

This is 3- 27 Gallon Home Depot Containers.
1st container- The chuckbox-All cooking and dishes to include the stove
2nd container- Tools, recovery gear, first aid kit and supplies for the zombie apocalypse
3rd container- Misc camping supplies.
1- 65 qt cooler for beverages
1- 35qt cooler for food.
1- 7 gallon water for dishes

I still need to pack a 5 gallon potable water can, chairs and a container for dry food.

I have a Thule box on the top and I hope I can fit 4 sleeping bags, pads and a tent plus a shovel. Any tips or thoughts? I have many supplies in backpacks and they are thrown in the boxes. I could possibly pack all supplies and tools from backpacks into the boxes but that would be a pain. I like to be able to take the individual backpacks from vehicle to vehicle. Thanks

Fully loaded for about a week with my wife. Water, shower, queen size bed, inverter, etc. I am not really a fan of stuff up top. Like to be a bit more aero to help with fuel mileage although for something much longer than a week I'd probably have to throw some things on top.
20th Trip-3.jpg

3 80's in AK.JPG

3 80's on the Alaska Cruiser Trek 2016

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom