Lets see those HAM radios (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did, thanks for letting me know about him. His problems stem from regulation and trying to follow them and uptight people who were dis pleased with how he was using them. Also I swear like a sailor, so yeah I could suffer his fate too, so I definitely wont be saying my license every 10 min.

I have an engineering background, I understand how radios work quite well actually, yes I get how a bandwidth can be clogged up (but never damaged via a radio. You can be a responsible user with out being and jerk or following all the rules and etiquette and you can be a jerk while using etiquette and following the rules too. I get how you are comparing them to trails, but the fact of the matter is that once someone who is clogging up the channel turns off the machine no damage will be done to the channel. Someone damaging a trail leaves it the trail is still damaged. Even with permits people still damage trails and cause problems... even with permits people still cause problems on the ham spectrum. Honestly I see hams being used on the trail to get extend range for group communication, I dont see a bunch of ham enthusiasts fonching at the bit to take their uber rigs out to the trails to see how they work. If the ham bands get janked up we will find a new tool, that is all.

I am also the same kind of person who would bypass my secondary air injection (govt required) I would take off a DPF if I were running a diesel too. I get how both are there to help everyone but seriously at a certain point it feels like they are just there to lord over someone either with etiquette or fiat. I also lived in a house where nothing was built to code and clearly didnt have many permits, some parts were fine, some parts were not but they all outlasted the original builder who has long since passed away. Some of the things that werent built to code worked better than if they were built to code.

I also pointed out how I would not encourage anyone to follow rules or etiquette I never said I dont follow rules or etiquette. I do find it obnoxious how etiquette can be forced upon a group by an outside actor like the govt rather than letting the community who are using the spectrum build, use and enforce their own etiquette.

If you don't like the rules, go use CBs where people "build, use and enforce their own etiquette."

^^This

"I do find it obnoxious how etiquette can be forced upon a group by an outside actor like the govt rather than letting the community who are using the spectrum build, use and enforce their own etiquette."

I find the last sentence laser wrote to be funny as that is kind of what is happening here on this topic. The HAM community is expected to "self police" a bit of an unfortunate term however.

(Before I share my opinion, let me preface it by saying that I got my HAM license after Skywarn ham operators kept me from driving into the back of a rain-wrapped F5 tornado about 20 years ago. Their ability to operate effectively may have kept me and others from injury or worse that day.)

I always find the prevalence of the "its-ok-to-abuse/skirt the rules" on HAM radio in the 4x4/off-road community very ironic given the "Leave no Trace" ethic and "stay on the trails on public lands or we will lose them" ideal. I understand it is easier to see the damage of irresponsible use of trails than airwaves, but the fundamental underlying concept of is the same.

However, if nothing else, knowing how one stands on proper radio use is a useful in deciding I might choose to wheel with.* I have found that if a person is willing to abuse one, they are likely to be that person that abuses the other. And not sure I can trust someone out on the trail with the mentality that says "FU to the world, I will do what I want regardless of how it affects others" no matter how many beers we shared.

*Or do business with.

Still haven't installed the radios in the GX since I recently bought it and have been busy with other things.

Other questions for @MightyBombJAC - What kind of antenna setup do you have for the Kenwood HF? How are you mounting it? and what bands do you use? Are you roving?

Cheers for steering back on topic. We really can't effectively debate ideology on a forum - that's for camp fire talk with a cold one in hand where we can have a real conversation.

My understanding is the higher your UHF/VHF antenna the better the performance since those freqs are line of sight. I'm not a fan of mounting it on the front bumper, though i'm sure you get used to it. Has anyone mounted their antenna on a rock light bracket, ie right next to where your snorkel would be?

I like the idea of this thread (always good info on here)...I'm getting ready to install a HAM very soon... was thinking I would do the Yaesu 7800 2M/70cm, but now looking at the Yaesu FT-100DR. Probably will mount the head unit on a suction ram mount between the shifters. Not sure yet on the antenna, but thinking I will mount a small 15" antenna and keep a longer antenna inside for when I need to swap out when situation calls. As far as mounts...thinking a couple of options...
1) simple CB style mount on the side of the jam of the rear hatch door (I did one for my CB on the right side, maybe this can go on left side, but ground plane would not be the best)
image-jpg.1082231

2) clip on Rail style mount

3) last choice is drilling into middle of the roof

any advice, let me know thoughts and I will post up on my experience once installed

My new 'mobile' HAM setup...
For the weekly net tonight, I might move everything over to the RX300. Did I mention mobile...

The GX is road only, and I can't decide own a permanent HAM antenna location. From what I've seen on my trail truck, front fender and roof work great until the first brushy section of the trail. Therefore, it's CB until I need the HAM radio, and for that there's a mag-mount 2m 1/2 wave stored inside the truck.

From my experience running roof and fender mounted antennas you can run them in heavy brush and low roof seeping limbs just fine, it just depends on the antenna you select. See my earlier post on the 1/4 wave I run on trails, it can almost be tied in a knot. I also ran it on the roof of my 80 for years in tight conditions.

A buddy of mine just got the Diamond NR770. It has the ability to lay over flat by pulling it up and over, for parking in garage for example. He has it fender mounted and got it for brushy conditions as it is very flexible and can be bent in “U” shape. Still not as flexible as the one I showed, but impressive for a 1/2 wave.

From my experience running roof and fender mounted antennas you can run them in heavy brush and low roof seeping limbs just fine, it just depends on the antenna you select. See my earlier post on the 1/4 wave I run on trails, it can almost be tied in a knot. I also ran it on the roof of my 80 for years in tight conditions.

A buddy of mine just got the Diamond NR770. It has the ability to lay over flat by pulling it up and over, for parking in garage for example. He has it fender mounted and got it for brushy conditions as it is very flexible and can be bent in “U” shape. Still not as flexible as the one I showed, but impressive for a 1/2 wave.
I might try that 1/4 wave you mentioned. Looked thru your build, must have overlooked it - source/vendor, please?
I had the Diamond 1/2 wave on the fender, custom mount with a Firestik spring (similar to the CB antenna on the other side); worked well in terms of radio transmit/receive, but it took quite a beating.

Last edited:
Ok you guys, I bought the ftm-100dr and am getting it installed this weekend. I’m going to mount the head unit on a ram mount next to the shifters. The remote head unit has a threaded mount on it and if I can just find a 1” ball with the right size stud...I’m in business. Anyone know the right size stud for the head unit?

For HF (especially) not much has been said about rf interference that the vehicle produces. This is a very important concept if you want to reduce the static noise you hear in the hf radio.

Basically you need to add grounding strap to various strategic places on your GXor whatever vehicle. Such as hood to body, rear door to body, frame to body, front and rear exhaust to frame to body, and others.

Rather than type all this up. I defer to someone else at the web page below. Also google search "hf vehicle bonding to reduce rf"

Going Mobile, Part 2 - Solving RFI Problems | Ham Radio School.com

Well, the ham is now in. Mounted the FTM-100dr main unit under the passenger seat and the head on a ram mount on the center next to the shifters. I had to buy an extra ball with a stud and “mcguyvered” a mount. But it’s easy and it works. Mounted a magnet on the mic for another easy to access ball mount. Also did the nmo mount antenna through the roof. I tried it out and talked to my wife on her handheld from about 5 miles and picked up our local repeater from 50 miles away...so i am happy with how it’s working. Oh and also put in a new kenwood stereo,amp and speakers. Good day I’d say :)

Nice. Congrats on the successful install.
Well, the ham is now in. Mounted the FTM-100dr main unit under the passenger seat and the head on a ram mount on the center next to the shifters. I had to buy an extra ball with a stud and “mcguyvered” a mount. But it’s easy and it works. Mounted a magnet on the mic for another easy to access ball mount. Also did the nmo mount antenna through the roof. I tried it out and talked to my wife on her handheld from about 5 miles and picked up our local repeater from 50 miles away...so i am happy with how it’s working. Oh and also put in a new kenwood stereo,amp and speakers. Good day I’d say :)

Sorry, I forgot to add the picture...
upload_2018-10-28_18-55-39.png

Wiring question: if I want to run the ham through a blue sea fuse box, do I get rid of the negative lead fuse or keep it? Negative lead to the fuse box or to the body ground?

Connect both directly to the battery and both fused. I would not use a fuse block for positive and have not seen one for negative. Using chassis ground can set up ground loops.

Please check out k0bg website. It is probably the single best consolidated site for mobile radio installations.

This is the wiring link:

Wiring & Grounding

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for! I'll keep it how I have it now - direct to battery with both fused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom