Let's chop up Christo's bumper, shall we?

Visit site
Wow, momma scored an 8? Woohoo, gonna have to tell her to up the charge from her paying to being an even exhange. :flipoff2: :D :D

How much you plan on towing? Just the
ahoy.gif
?

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Visit site
The faceplate is 1/4 inch steel and is welded on both sides to the tube. It is through-bolted to the bumper/rear crossmember with 4 grade 8 1/2 inch bolts.

Preliminary tests indicate that junk's momma could be safely transported using this receiver :flipoff2:

Visit site
[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10255;start=msg91533#msg91533 date=1074400501]
Preliminary tests indicate that junk's momma could be safely transported using this receiver :flipoff2:[/quote]

Dang that's hefy then. Good thing you have the supercharger. :flipoff2:

Momma will be upping your premium though based on the fact you still drive one of the fugliest color cruisers ever made - second only to bird dropping white. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Visit site
Why? Cause they simply pale into insignificance when compared to the color the 80 Series was simply designed to wear - Emerald Green....

DougM

Visit site
[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=10255;start=msg91581#msg91581 date=1074408810]
Why? Cause they simply pale into insignificance when compared to the color the 80 Series was simply designed to wear - Emerald Green....

DougM
[/quote]

Doug,

I love it :cheers:

Mike

Visit site
Cdan,

The install looks really clean. Are you just using angle iron for the front cross member? I seen a lot of FJ40 with bent rear cross member when used for recovery. I would not trust just the rear cross member to tow anything over 2500 Lbs. The front angle iron would not help a lot in strength. To make it strong you need to triangulate the rear cross member and tie it diretly to the side rails. I am sure Christo's bumper are really storng for off road protection but towing would bent anthing that is not at least 1/4" boxed tubing.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Visit site
The bumper lays over the top of the rear crossmember and bolts to the exact same holes that the OEM receiver hitch mounts to and the bumper and forward hitch crossmember are fastend utilizing the OEM hitch bolts. The bumper is 3/16 80,000 PSI steel and the combined thickness where the receiver transits the bumper and frame is almost 1/2 inch. At present the front hitch crossmember is just the 3x3 angle. It is as thick as the OEM hitch side plates. I may still gusset it in a couple spots. Rmember, the OEM receiver tube is only about 6 inches long. This one is 17 inches long and supported on both ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom