Let's chop up Christo's bumper, shall we? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With my setup and the receiver below the bumper I had a hard time finding a tongue with enough drop to properly tow my trailer. Have you figured out how much drop you'll need yet. ABout a foot I'd think.

Nice job, any idea of a rating?

The draw bar for my boat is a 3 inch drop. It happens to be the same one I use for my Dodge truck. I do not know the rating. The Valley tube was a class IV. I imagine it is just as good as the OEM hitch as all of the mounting points are the same. That would make it class III or 5,000 lbs. Of course it is not a manufactured piece with an established "rating" so I am using it at my own risk.

Landtank, I know what you mean. I had a tough time finding one that would work for mine. My current drop used is a 12", but I should really have a 14" or 15". Just can't find them, and in case of any accident, will not make my own - just in case. :eek:

Thanks Cdan, good food for thought... per our #6 discussion the other day on the (underappreciated?) benefits of the 'stock' receiver, I'll keep mine as-is for now. As my boat trailer, rock-crawler trailer and popup camper come along, I'll see how the towing is (drop, sway, etc) and if the motivation (and time!) strikes me, I'll see if I can make a Class V version of what you've made.
Regards,
Kenton

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom