Let's chop up Christo's bumper, shall we? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
The OEM hitch is just a tad of a hangy down thing (over 7 inches below the crossmember) so I got creative (destructive) :D Ya just don't spend 1,800 bucks and call it good. I like to sign my work. :rolleyes:

First, set up your target:

Then you get out the chop saw and the grinder and the dremmel and the files and the cold ones :whoops:.

Here's me and Bernie when we were still friends. :p

After a bit of pruning you get a nice ragged hole to fill. :D

Dang.

Now I gotta find me a new parts dealer. I can't go buying parts from some fugly mofo like that. :flipoff2:

I thought you were gonna leave the hacksaw there, with the handle pointing up so you had a nice comfortable place to sit while having #6. :flipoff2:

The forward hitch crossmember is made from 1/4 inch thich, 3 x 3 inch angle. It is mounted to the OEM forward hitch mounting points:

The receiver tube comes forward about 17 inches and intersects the forward crossmember where it is bolted togther with a 5/8 inch grade 8 bolt:

(not unlike the fasteners used to repair Junk's momma :flipoff2: )

Wow, momma scored an 8? Woohoo, gonna have to tell her to up the charge from her paying to being an even exhange. :flipoff2: :D :D

How much you plan on towing? Just the
ahoy.gif
?

The faceplate is 1/4 inch steel and is welded on both sides to the tube. It is through-bolted to the bumper/rear crossmember with 4 grade 8 1/2 inch bolts.

Preliminary tests indicate that junk's momma could be safely transported using this receiver :flipoff2:

btw, I'm disapointed you have not color coordinated your shackle with your truck? Really now, bright orange?
f1.gif

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10255;start=msg91533#msg91533 date=1074400501]
Preliminary tests indicate that junk's momma could be safely transported using this receiver :flipoff2:[/quote]

Dang that's hefy then. Good thing you have the supercharger. :flipoff2:

Momma will be upping your premium though based on the fact you still drive one of the fugliest color cruisers ever made - second only to bird dropping white. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Those are Stout Equipment 17,000 lb shackles, they were left in the original signature Hemi orange, There is a matching set on the front bumper:

bird dropping white

OK i just gotta ask,WHY all the hate towards the sweet best color there ever was on a cruiser(white of course) :D :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

doug(with one of those super cool white cruisers)

Why? Cause they simply pale into insignificance when compared to the color the 80 Series was simply designed to wear - Emerald Green....

DougM

Will you try a overall pic to see the the whole layout from underneath.
Looks nice.

edit: pics of the truck not junks mama :flipoff2:

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=10255;start=msg91581#msg91581 date=1074408810]
Why? Cause they simply pale into insignificance when compared to the color the 80 Series was simply designed to wear - Emerald Green....

DougM
[/quote]

Doug,

I love it :cheers:

Mike

Huloooooooooo , 80's were meant to be a radiant MGP !! :D :slap:

Cdan,

The install looks really clean. Are you just using angle iron for the front cross member? I seen a lot of FJ40 with bent rear cross member when used for recovery. I would not trust just the rear cross member to tow anything over 2500 Lbs. The front angle iron would not help a lot in strength. To make it strong you need to triangulate the rear cross member and tie it diretly to the side rails. I am sure Christo's bumper are really storng for off road protection but towing would bent anthing that is not at least 1/4" boxed tubing.

The bumper lays over the top of the rear crossmember and bolts to the exact same holes that the OEM receiver hitch mounts to and the bumper and forward hitch crossmember are fastend utilizing the OEM hitch bolts. The bumper is 3/16 80,000 PSI steel and the combined thickness where the receiver transits the bumper and frame is almost 1/2 inch. At present the front hitch crossmember is just the 3x3 angle. It is as thick as the OEM hitch side plates. I may still gusset it in a couple spots. Rmember, the OEM receiver tube is only about 6 inches long. This one is 17 inches long and supported on both ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom