Let's baseline my grandma's neglected, (20 year old to us) 1997 LX450 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

here is the chart from fsm

20220411_172344.jpg

received_1305125960012411.jpeg

so I looked more inside and found that the other vsv it's connected to is the one for egr right? maybe they connected it to a new vsv because that one that's still connected to the upper intake chamber is dead!?

ok so I reconnected the vacuum line from that metal pipe to the new VSV. I followed the other tube from the vsv to a T connector and the one leading to the intake had a crack. I tried to cut the tip but it's too loose to get back in the port. What size is that because the hose is a bit thicker than the one that came in the vacuum kit.

20220411_185640.jpg
20220411_184103.jpg

20220411_184018.jpg

All right so after connecting the vacuum from egr valve to the VSV, confirming that the other line from VSV connects to a T connector, and replaced the cracked hose connecting from T connector back to the Intake, I don't see CEL so far after 3 trips.

It is still a bit janky because I couldnt reach into the T all the way in without removing the throttle body (which I will still do when i replace the valve cover gasket next weekend?). So what I did was cut off the tip of the cracked hose so there's no leak, and join that with a new vacuum hose from autozone (5.5mm) and it fits to the intake fine.

Screenshot_20220412-112511_OBD Auto Doctor.jpg
Screenshot_20220412-110143_OBD Auto Doctor.jpg
Screenshot_20220412-110203_OBD Auto Doctor.jpg

Just curious as to why you didn’t want to remove the upper intake manifold? I just did that with my LX after getting the P0401 code. I took the upper intake manifold off, soaked it in simple green and then pressure washed it. Also replaced all of the vacuum lines and EGR/vacuum parts. It wasn’t cheap but I now have the peace of mind of everything in the EGR system being replaced.

If you end up wanting to do that, follow this-

P0401 Defeated - with pics - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/p0401-defeated-with-pics.363575/

It’s a great write up.

Just curious as to why you didn’t want to remove the upper intake manifold? I just did that with my LX after getting the P0401 code. I took the upper intake manifold off, soaked it in simple green and then pressure washed it. Also replaced all of the vacuum lines and EGR/vacuum parts. It wasn’t cheap but I now have the peace of mind of everything in the EGR system being replaced.

P0401 Defeated - with pics - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/p0401-defeated-with-pics.363575/

It’s a great write up.

I just didn't have the time and daylight to fully remove it during the weekdays. I'm still planning to do the full tear down of it when I go to replace the valve cover gasket. I'm waiting for a weekend to spend a full day cleaning the throttle body, remove upper intake and replace all the hoses there with the parts I ordered from wits end.

I was really curious after work as to what could have been causing the EGR issue since the modulator is working fine and the egr valve is newly replaced and VSV that the mechanic took out dangling is working. I took a peek inside the manifold and found that this new VSV was connected to the old VSV that failed. Then I noticed that there was still a tube connecting from there to the new one which didn't make sense.

So after reviewing where the lines went from egr valve to vsv, I figured I might as well do a quick reroute underneath and see if that would resolve the issue. Now that it's resolved, I at least know what the problem was and hopefully I have time this coming weekend to remove the upper intake, clean it, then remove the dead VSV still mounted to it.

I'm still thinking whether I should mount the new VSV to the intake or move it to a more convenient location like near the modulator and egr valve sort of like how the camry does it?

It’s a great write up.
I would recommend against soaking soft metals like aluminum in simple green because it is corrosive.

I just didn't have the time and daylight to fully remove it during the weekdays. I'm still planning to do the full tear down of it when I go to replace the valve cover gasket. I'm waiting for a weekend to spend a full day cleaning the throttle body, remove upper intake and replace all the hoses there with the parts I ordered from wits end.

I was really curious after work as to what could have been causing the EGR issue since the modulator is working fine and the egr valve is newly replaced and VSV that the mechanic took out dangling is working. I took a peek inside the manifold and found that this new VSV was connected to the old VSV that failed. Then I noticed that there was still a tube connecting from there to the new one which didn't make sense.

So after reviewing where the lines went from egr valve to vsv, I figured I might as well do a quick reroute underneath and see if that would resolve the issue. Now that it's resolved, I at least know what the problem was and hopefully I have time this coming weekend to remove the upper intake, clean it, then remove the dead VSV still mounted to it.

I'm still thinking whether I should mount the new VSV to the intake or move it to a more convenient location like near the modulator and egr valve sort of like how the camry does it?
Do you plan to replace all the vacuum lines as well?
I would recommend against soaking soft metals like aluminum in simple green because it is corrosive.
What method do you prefer for cleaning TB and upper plenum?

It’s a great write up.
Did you clean the TB that way as well? Also did you order all the vacuum lines from Toyota, or just replaced it with generic vac lines from a parts store?

Do you plan to replace all the vacuum lines as well?

Did you clean the TB that way as well? Also did you order all the vacuum lines from Toyota, or just replaced it with generic vac lines from a parts store?
No, I cleaned the throttle body by hand. I didn’t order the lines from Toyota, I got all the correct line sizes from a Honda dealership I work for. Everything went together well.

I'd get it hot tanked or if I'm doing it myself, I'd soak it in fuel or use penetrating oil followed by carb cleaner.

I'm about to go to the supermarket for grocery shopping and just wanted to look underneath and took a video of what the muffler sounds like right now. I noticed that there is a stain on the rear end of the muffler where it connects to the tail pipe? I also noticed stain on the rear differential where it connects to the drive shaft.

welp, I found the leak on the muffler and was about to clean off the rust before I put the tiger patch tape and it felt like of I put just a bit more pressure, I would end up with a bigger hole in the muffler.

I checked the lexus parts near me and it looks like they have it available for 425$

The wetness appears to be from the rear pinion seal. Check the breather on the rear axle to see if it's functioning. Push/pull on the driveshaft (side to side) near the rear diff to check for axial play (should be none). IME, you may be able to just replace the rear pinion seal if nothing else is causing the leak.

I'd get it hot tanked or if I'm doing it myself, I'd soak it in fuel or use penetrating oil followed by carb cleaner.
If you use a true "hot tank" you'll only end up with an internal baffle when you're done. A hot tank will dissolve aluminum.

So, you can use Simple Green, but they key is dilution and time with the solution on it.

Any soap is corrosive to aluminum, but how bad it eats it depends on the contact time and concentration of the solution.

If you use a true "hot tank" you'll only end up with an internal baffle when you're done. A hot tank will dissolve aluminum.

So, you can use Simple Green, but they key is dilution and time with the solution on it.

Any soap is corrosive to aluminum, but how bad it eats it depends on the contact time and concentration of the solution.

Right, use a solution safe for aluminum. Diluted Simple Green is safe but should still be rinsed thoroughly. I assumed the worst when OP said he marinated it in simple green. He specified later it was diluted.

As for hot tanking, also use a solution safe for Al. I called around here and confirmed the different methods and chemicals used for hot tanking based on material.

Right, use a solution safe for aluminum. Diluted Simple Green is safe but should still be rinsed thoroughly. I assumed the worst when OP said he marinated it in simple green. He specified later it was diluted.

As for hot tanking, also use a solution safe for Al. I called around here and confirmed the different methods and chemicals used for hot tanking based on material.
A very long time ago, a good friend of mine worked in an engine rebuild shop with a hot tank.

They caught a mouse in the shop. They made an aluminum foil boat for him.....

He set sail on a 3 minute trip.
A 3 minute trip.

The captain went down with his ship.

A very long time ago, a good friend of mine worked in an engine rebuild shop with a hot tank.

They caught a mouse in the shop. They made an aluminum foil boat for him.....

He set sail on a 3 minute trip.
A 3 minute trip.

The captain went down with his ship.
Damn!!! That’s brutal. Have you ever played with LOX? We’d get frogs or lizards or any small thing, even rags and shatter them on the ramp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom