Let me introduce Phred, my 1973 FJ40. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my 1973 FJ40 last fall from the original owner. It sat for the last 15+ years but is in AMAZING original condition. Original paint (no rust). Original interior (perfect). The PO gave me all the documentation (even the original purchase receipt) and boxes of NOS parts. After spending the winter going through all the usual stuff (fluids, hoses, brakes, etc) she is back on the road and running excellent. So now I have a dilemma. I love the way a Warn 8274 looks on the front of an FJ40. It's like Warn built that winch for the FJ40. Well, I just so happen to have an 8274 sitting in my shop and I'm torn as to what I should do. I love the look, but honestly my FJ40 is in such good original condition it will never see an offroad trail again. That being said, I obviously don't NEED a winch on the front. If I didn't have an 8274 sitting 10 feet from it I wouldn't have an issue (seeing that they are so expensive now) but since I have one....should I install it? I would probably find another stock bumper so I didn't have to cut my original and I would route the cables without drilling any holes but what's the general thought? Should I bolt it in or just leave her the way she came from the PO? Just curious what you fellow FJ40 owners think.
Thanks

20230304_121720.jpg

Last edited:
I love the look, but honestly my FJ40 is in such good original condition it will never see an offroad trail again.
This is sad to read. An FJ40 at the least was made for a dirt road and a secluded camping spot. Install the winch and rethink not using the 40 for nothing more than a coffee getter. Let her live again in the dirt!

My thinking is it is better to have it and not need it than not have a winch and be stuck. Washington winters can be crazy even on the road. You already have the 8274, go for it. That said I have had a winch on my 40 for nearly 20 years and have never needed it off road. Makes a great stump puller though!

I love the look of an 8274 on the front of a 40. Do you by chance know any of the Browns in Oakesdale. They're all cousins of mine.

8274 was once a dealer installed option on 40s, even had Toyota part numbers sometimes. It would be a real shame to only use it on the roads. Dirt roads and fire roads and light trails shouldn’t hurt it, while still being used as it was intended. If you are scared about screwing up your bumper, companies sell winch bumpers for the fj40 and 8274 that just bolt right onto the winch. If you have it, and you like it, go for it. It is your truck and you get to do whatever you want to it

So, here’s my answer. I mounted my Warn winch on my 72 FJ40 in 1974. It looked good and worked well then and it still looks good and works well on the trails today. Mount the winch.

CF810B13-1852-4ED0-9813-E54106D3CF37.jpeg

E210CEC3-3F67-48F6-BAED-E4F578FAF044.jpeg

@scrapdaddy I know you're right...but at this point I haven't got past the honeymoon. This thing is the nicest unrestored FJ40 I've ever seen in person and I'd hate to mess it up. Maybe if I give it some time I'll soften up to the idea of throwing some mud. I know it would be fun.

@405 The winch I have is not new but in very nice condition.....almost too nice. I'll dig it out and see what it looks like compared to the FJ40. I completely understand and agree about the patina.

@LCMoneyPit I don't think you can live in Whitman county without knowing a Brown. LOL. Matt and Lindsey are our neighbors over the hill.

You mention cables-do you have a Bellevue winch? If so I wouldn’t mount it. If truly an 8274 I would. Electrical cables require no drilling and is a completely reversible mod with a bolt on bumper.

Your bumper has seen better days … it’s been resprayed to black

Mount it and buy a new toyota stock bumper for $150 and put it on the shelf… that will make you feel better

From the one pic… your missing the mirror arm from pass side and toyota emblem in grill

The rear flares are aftermarket … most likely had wider than stock tires at one time as well as aftermarket rims… the rims on it seem very clean and are either original referb or newer when the MT tires were put on … they are stamped on the inboard side a date

The rear aftermarket tank is a nice addition by PO

Post more pics … we love pics :)

You absoluteley will not hurt the value of your 40 by mounting the 8274. It will definitely enhance the originality of that rig. I say delete the flares and add the winch but then you’d have to fix the screw holes where the flares are so maybe keep the flares and add the winch!

@JohnnyC Nothing gets by you. 😁 I'll ask him about the front bumper color. I thought it should be silver but he didn't mention painting it. I'll get more info.

I'm still waiting for the PO to find the factory mirrors. He had ugly truck mirrors installed when I bought it that had to come off immediately. He says the factory mirrors are in a box in his garage with a NOS brake booster and the factory Toyota emblem from the grill. He had the dealership install an AC unit before he drove it off the lot, but when he got home the AC didn't work because the Toyota emblem screws had rubbed holes in the condenser. They replaced the condenser and then handed him the emblem.

Originally I was disappointed when I saw that the rear fenders had been cut, however the WHITE fender flares actually look really good in my opinion. I think they break up the blue and compliment the white top. If they were any other color it wouldn't look right. The PO says he has the pieces of metal he cut out of the fenders stashed in his garage so I'm hoping he finds them with the mirrors.

The wheels are stock....I had them powder coated and new tires mounted. I have all 5 original hubcaps but the fronts were cut by the dealership to install Warn hubs which he purchased before he drove off the lot. He says it originally had full-time 4wd without locking hubs so the dealership had to cut holes in the front hubcaps. (I've never seen an FJ40 without locking hubs.....has anyone else??) The holes the dealership cut weren't perfect so I opted for new OEM hubcaps all the way around. Of course I'm saving the originals.

The PO also had a Fairey 2-speed overdrive and the aux fuel tank installed by the dealership as well. That OD is AMAZING and really makes a difference when driving down the highway. The extra fuel tank is nice and the sending unit even works.....but I really don't like the hit to my wallet when I fill it up.

Last edited:
@JohnnyC Nothing gets by you. 😁 I'll ask him about the front bumper color. I thought it should be silver but he didn't mention painting it. I'll get more info.

I'm still waiting for the PO to find the factory mirrors. He had ugly truck mirrors installed when I bought it that had to come off immediately. He says the factory mirrors are in a box in his garage with a NOS brake booster and the factory Toyota emblem from the grill. He had the dealership install an AC unit before he drove it off the lot, but when he got home the AC didn't work because the Toyota emblem screws had rubbed holes in the condenser. They replaced the condenser and then handed him the emblem.

Originally I was disappointed when I saw that the rear fenders had been cut, however the WHITE fender flares actually look really good in my opinion. They break up the blue well and compliment the white top. If they were any other color it wouldn't look right. The PO says he has the pieces of metal he cut out of the fenders stashed in his garage so I'm hoping he finds them with the mirrors.

The wheels are stock....I had them powder coated and new tires mounted. I have all 5 original hubcaps but the fronts were cut by the dealership to install Warn hubs which he purchased before he drove off the lot. He says it originally had full-time 4wd without locking hubs so the dealership had to cut holes in the front hubcaps. (I've never seen an FJ40 without locking hubs.....has anyone else??) The holes the dealership cut weren't perfect so I opted for a new OEM hubcaps all the way around. Of course I'm saving the originals.

The PO also had a Fairey 2-speed overdrive and the aux fuel tank installed by the dealership as well. That OD is AMAZING and really makes a difference when driving down the highway. The extra fuel tank is nice and the sending unit even works.....but I really don't like the hit to my wallet when I fill it up.
FJ40s had locking hubs as dealer installed options, some didn’t have hub lockers

4D6038F4-8943-4A8A-BCED-E77E0D358016.jpeg

Honestly, I’ve never seen one in person either, but I guess it was just such a common thing that almost none still have non locking hubs, but that’s how they came out of the factory

You absoluteley will not hurt the value of your 40 by mounting the 8274. It will definitely enhance the originality of that rig. I say delete the flares and add the winch but then you’d have to fix the screw holes where the flares are so maybe keep the flares and add the winch!
The winch I've got is definitely a Warn 8274. I'll dig it out tonight. I assume I just have to run cables to the battery? The remote plugs into the solenoid housing so I don't have to run any other wires....which is good. I want to keep the wiring as clean and original as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom