LED headlight upgrade on 2008-2015 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NKP Garage

Forever Learning
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
I searched but didn't find any threads on it. Has anyone upgrades to these style lights? And if you have what was your experience?

Screenshot_20220104-142001.png

I knew I had seen one thread, took a while to find it. This guy bought and fitted them. Didn't look great because I think they are built for the 2013-15 bumper i think.

(Post 130-146) are where his posts are.

I knew I had seen one thread, took a while to find it. This guy bought and fitted them. Didn't look great because I think they are built for the 2013-15 bumper i think.

(Post 130-146) are where his posts are.

Thanks, that is helpful! So it looks like the big issue is the gap to the bumper from the newer style headlight? I didn't realize the bumper to headlight contact is so different between the years. Hmmm....

If you are doing a refresh and already intended to do the headlights, adding the 2013-15 bumper and grill would complete the look and depending on how your sourced them, probably only about half the cost of the headlights more. I thinks that’s all it takes is those 2 parts and the headlights, but a bit more research may be necessary. I know guys on Club Lexus have done it.

If you are doing a refresh and already intended to do the headlights, adding the 2013-15 bumper and grill would complete the look and depending on how your sourced them, probably only about half the cost of the headlights more. I thinks that’s all it takes is those 2 parts and the headlights, but a bit more research may be necessary. I know guys on Club Lexus have done it.
I just put a new grill on to refresh the old one that had some scratches on it. Don't think I will go this route if it requires a new by.ler since mine is mostly okay. But will definitely keep it in mind.

I found this post interesting

According to repeated studies from UMTRI, higher blue content 4000K HID and 4000K and above LED generated more glare. Their research showed the highest color temperature lights produced the worst glare. There was also more research done at earlier dates that showed similar results.

Furthermore, according to Daniel Stern, blue light is one of the least helpful colors of light at night. It tends to focus in front of our retinas rather then upon them. I've also, anecdotally, did the blue light test that Mr. Stern was talking about in the article. I used a blue pump SST-20 flashlight that I built. When I tried to see things in the dark with blue, objects did indeed appear to blur. So we have this 5000K LED light, whose spectral power is nothing like the sun, not even providing much useful light for the viewer.

1665500666860.png

According to repeated studies from UMTRI, higher blue content 4000K HID and 4000K and above LED generated more glare. Their research showed the highest color temperature lights produced the worst glare. There was also more research done at earlier dates that showed similar results.
Furthermore, according to Daniel Stern, blue light is one of the least helpful colors of light at night. It tends to focus in front of our retinas rather then upon them. I've also, anecdotally, did the blue light test that Mr. Stern was talking about in the article. I used a blue pump SST-20 flashlight that I built. When I tried to see things in the dark with blue, objects did indeed appear to blur. So we have this 5000K LED light, whose spectral power is nothing like the sun, not even providing much useful light for the viewer.

Last edited:
I found this post interesting

View attachment 3137858

This post is why I ditched my LEDs and did new OEM headlights + HID retrofit Builds - Travis’s PNW LX570 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/traviss-pnw-lx570.1010267/page-18#post-14642635

Did you try swapping your low beams from an H11 to an H9 before going to HID? I know HID is going to throw more lumens in the correct place on the road than LED or the H9 swap.

No, I went straight from Hikari LEDs to H11 35w 4300k HIDs

No, I went straight from Hikari LEDs to H11 35w 4300k HIDs

This is what I have come up with for lighting upgrades. The total cost is maybe $100 and the OEM look is maintained. This is all theoretical at this point. All factory cutoff lines are maintained (with a small exception for the fogs). I think you probably made a good decision with the HID, the only drawback being a reduced CRI rating in exchange for more light.
  • Low Beam Upgrade H11 to Philips H9 Is nearly double the light output of the stock Osram H9.
  • High Beam 9005 to 9011 Will gain you about 22% more light
  • Fog Light Upgrade H11 to Philips H9 45% more light (this needs a end cap applied or there will be a small amount of scatter, though nothing like LED)
  • Reverse lights Upgrade 921 to GY6.35, See photos. I have done this on other vehicles and the results are incredible. (this may be a good option for the rear fogs as well)
    1665595834526.png
1665595908915.png

If someone wanted to run and external low beam harness than you could go with these German made 90w H11 in the headlight. Fog lights may melt.

Has anyone else gone down this road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom