Leaky Radiator, need to find one ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 Land Cruiser, 255K miles.
O'Reilly has:
Murray Radiator for $260.99, limited Lifetime Warranty, Plastic and Aluminum
Denso Radiator for $369.99, but not available.

Should I spring for an OEM radiator? If so where to purchase and how much?
Any experience with the Murray Radiator?

2004 Land Cruiser, 255K miles.
O'Reilly has:
Murray Radiator for $260.99, limited Lifetime Warranty, Plastic and Aluminum
Denso Radiator for $369.99, but not available.

Should I spring for an OEM radiator? If so where to purchase and how much?
Any experience with the Murray Radiator?
I purchased an OEM radiator for Aaron from OEMToyotaparts.com for right at 380.00 delivered.

I would just go OEM. Part number is 16400-50290 As to where to get it from. I am in the northeast so I buy from EB Toyota Parts which sells stuff for 20-30% off and is fairly close to me so shipping costs are manageable. I would google the part number and put in your zip and just look for the best deal from a Toyota Dealer.

OEM. Olathe Toyota had the best price when I bought last year.

I also took the opportunity to replace t-stat, every hose and clamp (plus tees), shroud (they're often cracked at this point), and overfill bottle since I was "in there" anyway.

When the rad comes out, get one of those cans of foaming coil cleaner and clean your AC coil from the inside out, too.

I have a Murray in one of my Lexii. Been working peachy for a year or so now.

I have a Murray in one of my Lexii. Been working peachy for a year or so now.

Was that Murray Radiator a perfect fit?

Was that Murray Radiator a perfect fit?
Yes it is. Lifetime warranty is valuable to me because of the ease to replace if needed. I replaced a Carquest radiator from Advance for someone else recently. It was also a perfect fit. Not sure about warranty on that.

Installed a Murray radiator (bought at a local O'Rielly) for a 2007 camry: no leaks, but the bottom tank mounting positions was offset by about 1 cm.
Dd you try rockauto?
Also inspect for any damaged fan blades. I had few tiny craks on the fan and it threw a broken piece to my 5 year old radiator and damaged the fins. Luckly it happened at home!

I purchased an OEM radiator for Aaron from OEMToyotaparts.com for right at 380.00 delivered.
I'm also looking for a radiator (though, I've got some time to wait for a deal since I'm overhauling everything). That URL doesn't seem to exist - best price I can find online for an OEM radiator is $480ish before shipping. Guess I should keep waiting & looking for a deal!

I'm also looking for a radiator (though, I've got some time to wait for a deal since I'm overhauling everything). That URL doesn't seem to exist - best price I can find online for an OEM radiator is $480ish before shipping. Guess I should keep waiting & looking for a deal!
Sorry, I always just start typing OEM and then it populates for me and I mindlessly click on it. If you place it in your cart and then close it out for an hour or so they will send you a code for some discounted shipping. Online OEM Toyota Part Superstore | OEM Genuine Toyota Parts - https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/

Shows $367.61. Comes with a new radiator cap installed.

Reactions: LJE
I know its popular to stay OE.. or even Denso, but I decided to run a Morimoto all Aluminum radiator, and its been perfect for last few yrs. Lifetime warranty too. Nearly perfect fit.

Sorry, I always just start typing OEM and then it populates for me and I mindlessly click on it. If you place it in your cart and then close it out for an hour or so they will send you a code for some discounted shipping. Online OEM Toyota Part Superstore | OEM Genuine Toyota Parts - https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/

Shows $367.61. Comes with a new radiator cap installed.
That's interesting - is that for a 03+? It's showing $484 for me:
Screenshot_20240325_061716_Firefox.jpg

Sorry 2001. Strange there would be much of a difference in price. I would definitely hold out for a holiday sale. We just had one and I saved 35% on some coils with free shipping. If you can hang in there I bet there will be some good Memorial Day sales.

Reactions: LJE
Sorry 2001. Strange there would be much of a difference in price. I would definitely hold out for a holiday sale. We just had one and I saved 35% on some coils with free shipping. If you can hang in there I bet there will be some good Memorial Day sales.
Ahhh, gotcha. I agree - seems weird that there would be such a price differential. I'll keep an eye out for a sale then!

Got that f*cking radiator replaced. Took me 5 hours but I bet I could do it again in less than half that time.
I installed the Murray radiator, $260 at OReilly.
It was a perfect fit.
I used Ramps as I don't have a lift but it could be done without ramps.
Got it out with Battery but had to pull the battery to get it back in.
Kinda finicky pulling and replacing it with obstructions from the shroud and some AC lines.
I used a large piece of cardboard and wrote each step and placed the bolts removed.
Then reversed the install.
Pretty much 12mm for every nut and bolt.
You need Ratchet and Wrenches, and some extensions.
Also large needle nose pliers to remove clamps.
Don't forget to remove all those plastic pieces on the new radiator that protectively blocks the openings.
Not much Transmission fluid is lost but I might check the level later.

I didn't use a burping gizmo but did run until heater came on and kept filling with Antifreeze.
I might get me one of those burping devices from Amazon to use.

Last edited:
Got that f*cking radiator replaced. Took me 5 hours but I bet I could do it again in less than half that time.
I installed the Murray radiator, $260 at OReilly.
It was a perfect fit.
I used Ramps as I don't have a lift but it could be done without ramps.
Got it out with Battery but had to pull the battery to get it back in.
Kinda finicky pulling and replacing it with obstructions from the shroud and some AC lines.
I used a large piece of cardboard and wrote each step and placed the bolts removed.
Then reversed the install.
Pretty much 12mm for every nut and bolt.
You need Ratchet and Wrenches, and some extensions.
Also large needle nose pliers to remove clamps.
Don't forget to remove all those plastic pieces on the new radiator that protectively blocks the openings.
Not much Transmission fluid is lost but I might check the level later.

I didn't use a burping gizmo but did run until heater came on and kept filling with Antifreeze.
I might get me one of those burping devices from Amazon to use.
Make sure to recheck the copper transmission lines at bottom on radiator. Sometimes that large nut can be loose leaking fluid. For burping, just park it with radiator higher than engine, leave cap off while engine warms up to operating temp, thermostat opens and then you can see coolant flowing. That should get the air out.

I just got my new OEM one last week shipped to me from Springhill Toyota out of Mobile, AL for $360. It was a perfect fit in every way.

Spent a week agonizing over the Denso unit vs OEM and decided to go OEM since it lasted 200k. The risks of a bad radiator are just way too high to justify saving $90 or even $120.

This is an exceptional video on how to replace the Radiator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom