Leaf spring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've posted this in the Cruiser Tech section but no replies. Trying here since I've already had such good help from you all.

I have decided to replace the springs on my 62. Problem is I can only find replacements for a 60. Will the springs for a 60 fit a 62?

HJ60, notice you are from Phoenix. I went there a few years ago - nice place but very hot. Don't suppose you have too much of a problem with rust though?...

Cheer, Jim

No firsthand experience, but I am led to believe the only major defferences between the 60 and 62 are front facia, motor, trans and interior/accessories.
IOW, the springs should be the same for both models.
Well, the US-spec 62 has a rear sway bar, while the 60 does not. I doubt that'd make a difference, though.
I am planning a trip to my local Toyota dealership to talk to the one guy I trust there (he knows Cruisers and Hiluxes pretty well). I'll ask him if there's a difference in springs between the two models. It may be a week or so before I get there, though, as work and school have me pretty busy these days.
And as to rust, what is that? I've heard of it, but never seen it. :D
My 60 has so little rust on it that if I took all of it off, ground it to powder and put it in a glass of water, it'd look just like Phoenix tap water. ;)
There is a tradeoff, though. I have no rust and I have no rubber on my rig. The bushings and hoses rot out in no time flat. I'm going to replace my bushings with greasable soft poly-u, and live with frequently replacing hoses and belts.

Oh, and hot? It's currently 8°C/47°F and raining.
Bring on the 40°C/110°F weather! :cheers:

Springs are the same length for FJ60 and FJ62 and all 6x models. There were a few differences in how many leafs though. For example, the FJ62 rear springs have 1 or 2 more leafs than the FJ60s (atleast here in the States....). IIRC, the HJ60s got a heavier duty, more-leafs spring packs. Don't ask me why though, 'cause I don't know. Maybe something to do with weight? Or maybe Toyota notices FJ60s rears were saggin' very quickly and they tried to make up for it with another leaf or two in the rear?

Anyway, I run FJ62 springs on my SOA FJ60.

-Ferg-

The HJ60 got the heavy duty springs because they are considered a workhorse in places like Africa ,Australia and South America.The downside is the ride is harsher with no load in the back.Yep the guys are right on the spring length for 60/61/62. When I bought 60 leaves for the rear of my 73 they just asked me oif I wanted h/d or l/d,the model didnt matter. I bought the l/d as the 73 weighs about 200 kg(440 lbs) less than a 60. They got 8 leaves in the pack if you count the smallest one that doesnt seem to do anything and the h/d have got one more.

Thanks for this valuable information - it is all I need to know. As I am going for aftermarket springs (UK made) it is not the relative merits of 60 v 62 springs that concerns me, just that they are the same size (sorry should have mentioned that)
Since this appears to be the case I will go ahead and order them.

Thanks again, Jim

HJ60.. Rubber is cheaper to replace than metal. I could live with that... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom