Leaf Spring Identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help identifying the brand of leaf springs I have. Looked around but couldn't find any markings on them, but the springs were painted at one time so any part number is probably covered.

My bushings are shot and I'd like to replace all of them, but I have no idea what size I need. I'd like to have the bushings on hand before disassembly so I only have to drop the springs once.

Shackles are Con-ferr and are about 1/4 wider than the springs themselves, so I probably need a flanged bushing. But I don't know the spring eye diameters or even the bolt diameter without taking them apart. Anyone know of a good resource that list dimensions of poly bushings for aftermarket springs and shackles? Even the bushings on the fixed end are gonna be non-stock due to the wider shackle. Thanks

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

Last edited:
Springs are not Downey's because (a) they do not have anti-friction pads between the leafs, and (b) they are pinch bound (i.e. alignment clamps pinching the leafs, not allowing the leafs to slide- - -stiffer ride).

I think they look like Ranchos as well. I have a set on the front on my wagon. Will compare when I get home.

You may find that with properly shouldered bushings the shackles will no longer fit. That is why I offer adjustable width shackles.

Thanks All,

After doing some googling for a while, I think you guys are right, they are Rancho. About the only unique identifying feature is the cutouts on the second leaf.

FJ40 uber lift springs for sale

Now I just gotta find out the dimensions and then hunt down the correct bushings. The rancho site doesn't even list a part number for the FJ40, so it's probably been out of production for a while.

Yeah, your bushings should have shoulders on them. How's the ride?

SOR will have all the info you need: Page 289 Land Cruiser Polyurethane Bushings

It rides like a 40 year old truck, but I assume that's probably how all of them ride. I just happened to be working on some other things and noticed the bolt holes for the bushings were really wallowed out. You can see the offset of the springs vs the bolt holes in the pictures.

I thought about adding some spring tip bushings to eliminate some of the friction between the leaves like the ones below. But it seems like a lot of work for what might just be a minor increase in comfort.

Leaf Spring Tip Inserts, Suspension Parts AutoandTruckSpring.com

I just looked and you're correct. The cut outs are identical.

I have an old Rancho catalog. What numbers do you want?

I also run the Rancho 2 1/2 lift springs on the front of my 45LV. They ride nice and I like them.

Thanks JackA.

I think I also have a 2 1/2 lift springs too. If you can find out the I.D. of the spring eye, I think that'll give me enough information to get the right size bushings.

I'm assuming both front and back springs have the same eye dimensions on both sides. Do you know if your springs have a metal sleeve inside for the bushings to press in?

There is no metal sleeve. I will look in the book tonite and let ya know the spring eye id.

Rancho list the front spring as rs43033
Spring rate 391
Eye to eye flat length 44.13
Free arch 5.45
Eye size 1.38
Width 2.75
# of leaves 6

Thank you Jack,

The correct part number makes things a lot easier. I was able to find this post

Need help finding spring bushings for Rancho springs

which has part numbers for the correct bushing. Off to order the bushings, and probably new body mounts. I'm on a mission to replace all the old rubber with new to eliminate as many rattles as I can.

FWIW, red Rancho polyurethane bushings did not have inhibitors in them to tolerate lubricants, so they squeaked. The trick would be to measure the bushing size you need (OD and ID), then see if Energy Suspension has anything like it in black polyurethane with inhibitors (graphite impregnated) to tolerate lubricants (black bushings because graphite is black).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom