Leaf Spring Removal Opinion (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just started to remove my rear leaf springs so to remove a leaf or two in order to help soften ride a bit. I was planning to remove the 3rd leaf down from top only but now that I have the lower leaf's removed, wondering if I should also remove the 5th leaf down (see photo below).

Additional info, Leaf springs are 4" lift HFS. Tires are 34 x 10.5, I have replaced the shocks with Bilstein 5125, not shown in photo, (per another members recommendation) and it did help the jarring effect but still a bit to bumpy for the wife. I have the soft top on most of the time so reduced weight in back (but also have a full roll bar cage installed). I do have the hard top and will keep the leaf(s) in case I need to reinstall. The front does not seem as bumpy so am not planning (at this time) to remove any leafs. It does have a sbc 350 (a bit lighter than the 6 cyl) but have a winch on front and 700r4 trans so I think the weight is helping lessen the bumping.

Anyone do a leaf removal on this set-up and if so what advice or opinion as to removing 1 or 2 leaf springs. Really do not want to change the ride height much since its level with the front now and my tire size. Really don't want to have to do this twice if possable.

Rear Leaf Spring with notes.jpg

It's really hard to see the leaf pack. Maybe use a flash or a light under the 40. My guess, I would remove the 5th one and call it a day. I think the shorter ones usually have more arch.

I remember a friends wife wanted to go 4 wheeling with him. He took her for a ride and hit every bump he could find, so she didn't want to go any where in that jeep.

It's really hard to see the leaf pack. Maybe use a flash or a light under the 40. My guess, I would remove the 5th one and call it a day. I think the shorter ones usually have more arch.

I remember a friends wife wanted to go 4 wheeling with him. He took her for a ride and hit every bump he could find, so she didn't want to go any where in that jeep.
Your right about the lower springs having more arch to them. I have removed the U-bolts and leafs on drivers' side leaving the two upper leafs attached to frame and noticed that the shorter 5th leaf had more arch but was thinking the 3rd leaf being longer would help, unfortunately I know little about the geometry of how these leafs work.

Your right about the lower springs having more arch to them. I have removed the U-bolts and leafs on drivers' side leaving the two upper leafs attached to frame and noticed that the shorter 5th leaf had more arch but was thinking the 3rd leaf being longer would help, unfortunately I know little about the geometry of how these leafs work.
Here are 2 more photos, the passenger side that I have not started to remove but is a better view of the spring pack and the drivers side that I have disassembled showing the longer 3rd leaf down compared to the shorter 5th leaf down that does have more arch and feels stiffer when pushing down on it.

IMG_0862.JPEG

IMG_0863.JPEG

Have you thought about contacting HFS to see what they recommend since they built the spring packs?

Have you thought about contacting HFS to see what they recommend since they built the spring packs?
Nope, had not thought of that. Been doing some research on the internet and it appears that all say to remove the shorter leafs. Also, to add additional clamps to the forward portion of leaf pack to help support axle warp. Unless someone has more knowledge than me (that would be most), I am going to remove the 5th leaf down.

I've been running 4" bds springs for probably 20yrs or more. The springs had less leaves than yours. To gain more flexibility I removed the 3rd one from the bottom of a 7 leaf pack. It worked great. I got a lot softer ride and a lot more flexibility. I also removed the bolts going across the top of the clamps. Most folks I trail ride with remove the bolts too, it allows for better droop and flexibility when the leaves are unloaded. Like I said b4, I'd try the 5th one down and see how it works. It's a short wheel base vehicle, it's going to be a rougher ride.

I've been running 4" bds springs for probably 20yrs or more. The springs had less leaves than yours. To gain more flexibility I removed the 3rd one from the bottom of a 7 lead pack. It worked great. I got a lot softer ride and a lot more flexibility. I also removed the bolts going across the top of the clamps. Most folks I trail ride with remove the bolts too, it allows for better droop and flexibility when the leaves are unloaded. Like I said b4, I'd try the 5th one down and see how it works.
Thanks for the info, my leaf spring pack has 8 leaves, and I am removing the 4th from the bottom right above the lowest leaf with the clamps. Everything was going great until I started to reassemble, and the center stud is spinning so cannot get the nut on. This stud looks to be a pressed in stud so I have no way to hold it while installing the nut and the top of the stud is under axle on top of purch. Now I need to remove the leaf pack from rear hangers. I am also glad to hear that you were able to reassemble without the bolt at the clamps because now that I removed the leaf directly above the clamps, the bolt and sleeve do not make contact with the leaf below (the thickness of the leaf I removed) so I will still install the bolt and have the movement you were talking about.

Just raise the axle high enuff off the spring so you can get a pr of vise grips on the center pin and tighten the nut.

Just raise the axle high enuff off the spring so you can get a pr of vise grips on the center pin and tighten the nut.
I'll give that a shot, not working on it now since it's 90 deg in my shop.

take em both out and jack it up as mentioned enough to get vise grips on that center pin, if its rusty just get new ones.

pb4ugo, you just saved me a ton of work, went down to the shop to see about lifting axle and WaLa, 5 min. later had the center stud done. Thanks.

Leaf Center Bolt.JPEG

pb4ugo, you just saved me a ton of work, went down to the shop to see about lifting axle and WaLa, 5 min. later had the center stud done. Thanks.

View attachment 3416481
Figured I would let others know of the results of removing 1 leaf of the 8 leaf 4" HFS lift. After removing the 5th leaf down from top, the ride was noticeably better. No more jarring hits on medium to big bumps and do not feel the small ones. This with the Bilstein 5125 shocks made a much better rider (although still stiff). It did though reduce the height by 1/2" but this just made my 40 level now. Not sure how much more drop I will get when I put the hard top back on after I'm finished rebuilding it with a new rain gutter and headliner.

Run it, let it settle. Did the shackle angle change?

Run it, let it settle. Did the shackle angle change?
Did not notice a change in the shackle angle. you can see in my opening thread that I had a good angle but never measured. the angle appears the same. Yes, am going to go out and put some miles on it. Recently installed the Holley Sniper and Hyperspark and running better than ever. Next are lockers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom