LC200 camper conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a deal too good to resist on a 2017 LC200. I have been a very happy owner of a FJ Cruiser for the past 7 years and the only reason I have had my eye on the lc200 is for the increased interior space. I am planning a multi-month north America trip and I would like to convert the LC interior into a camper with kitchen and bed (VW westy style setup). I will remove the 2nd and 3rd row of course. I have been googling for examples and there are plenty with drawers that pull outside of the rear gate but none I could find that show a complete interior setup. Is this doable in a lc200? Any examples out there? Thank you

Yes. Post 7 in the forum FAQs has member build threads. Some of them are truly remarkable for the camping systems installed. Read through the build threads for all the ideas you’ll probably need.

I doubt you'll have the space to have an interior setup like a westfalia. Headroom in particular is limited. There are some great cargo drawer setups, but I think you will find that most everything is based on an outside kitchen using sliding drawers. @SharpeCat lived in his continuously for a while and can probably comment on how it is for that purpose. I'd think a transit van, bed mounted camper on a pickup, or even a small towable camper would be more practical.

I wish i could remember anything about the build, but there is a thread here where a guy built up a 200 to take to S. America, and he put a kitchen in the back, camper van style. I remember it was an exceptionally heavy weight build, but past that I can't remember enough specifics about it to find it with the search function. So i guess this might as well just be a fish story. I remember he was talking about trying to use the heater core as a hot water source for the rear kitchen.

Popup roof would be amazing. That Maltec setup is pretty awesome. I did consider a 4x4 van (sportsmobile type) but I don't want something too big either. There are setups for the small vans like the sienna, transit connect, promaster city so I was hoping something like that would be available for the LC

I am picking up the LC this Thursday so I'll see in the next month or so what options I have.

Popup roof would be amazing. That Maltec setup is pretty awesome. I did consider a 4x4 van (sportsmobile type) but I don't want something too big either. There are setups for the small vans like the sienna, transit connect, promaster city so I was hoping something like that would be available for the LC

I am picking up the LC this Thursday so I'll see in the next month or so what options I have.
Since you in MA, we can always meet up and chat about all kind of modification. :)

Another way is UTE the LC200 and put a camper on the flat bed.

Last edited:
My minivan can fit 10 ft lumber in it on the floor. The LX 8ft plus (maybe 9ft, haven’t tried)
So the minivan is about a foot longer.
If you want to pull seats it’s a lot of space. The big difference is the minivan isn’t body on frame and has more vertical room to work with (headroom). The only way to get that back is with some sort of pop top or pivoting top, and I think that the biggest challenge.
These are pretty common in the rv industry but for a one off you’ll pay a lot and with the demand right now for everything have a long wait time as well.
Check out the 4xoverland troopy builds to see the cut and replace roof tent as an example

I've toyed with the idea of a wedge RTT style camper integrated to the roof. Ursa minor style. The 200-series would be a pretty epic vehicle to do it with as they make it work on smaller platforms including Jeeps.

Just need to cut a giant access hole in the roof right? Older 200-series are getting to the price point that this wouldn't be hearsay, and would be incredibly functional. I think?

There's several 100-series that have done similar. @mcgaskins probably has done a lot of thought here, maybe he can comment?

Maybe i am imagining this, but I feel like I recall @TRAIL TAILOR floating the idea of an integrated pop top for a 200 in the future.

Just picked it up last night. Definitely roomier than the FJ, more quiet. I don't care that much for all the assisted driving electronics (I love the FJ for its basic simplicity) but LC is a big step in luxury. It feels much heavier and less nimble than the FJ.

First step will be to take the 2 rows out, cover the floor with a wood panels. Then I'll try to replicate this clever and resourcefull guy setup:

Here is the new baby

IMG-20210610-WA0000.jpeg

Just picked it up last night. Definitely roomier than the FJ, more quiet. I don't care that much for all the assisted driving electronics (I love the FJ for its basic simplicity) but LC is a big step in luxury. It feels much heavier and less nimble than the FJ.

First step will be to take the 2 rows out, cover the floor with a wood panels. Then I'll try to replicate this clever and resourcefull guy setup:

Here is the new baby

View attachment 2700710

I will follow your path.

I want to do the same thing. I have stripped out all the seats and am sleeping in the truck but the head room is the issue. To get to a real solution it needs a pop top I think or fiberglass shell or Maltec type solution. If I old afford Maltec thats what I would do but for now I am hoping someone will do a pop top. 2013 and waiting to take the plunge to cut the top off.

It would be cool to see a GFC Camper or hard wedge type RTT grafted to the top of the Cruiser. Would take some custom work but honestly wouldn't be too hard other than getting over cutting the giant holes.

I'm not sure I would do a one off camper top with the availability of hardtop wedge RTTs these days. The integrated look of the a Campteq and others may be a better look. But this generation of hardtop RTTs have some good iteration and engineering that makes them better camper tops. Some with nice side rails and rooftop rack capability, for expanded options.

Would look like this but with camper top probably a good 4-5" lower.

1623518921450.png

Last edited:
Having a pop top allows standing up while making food and living space in inclement weather. These are concerns for long term living vs the odd two week or shorter trip.
Other long term living items need to be addressed such as: waste management, water storage, fuel storage, heat, bathing. The list goes on and unfortunately a short wheelbase wagon just doesn’t have much room for all these systems.

this channel did a pretty good job discussing how to manage and integrate all these systems in a small wagon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom