AHC Pump Fun - Disassembly and Clean - Verbose Edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Story Time:

2013 LX570 111,000mi - California truck with no rust.

I posted in the SQOD thread that on a flush from Normal height there was a suction on the reservoir and that breaking the suction kept things running well when repressurizing the system. The pump took a very long time to regain pressure and it took 3-4 times of breaking suction. If I didn't break the suction the pump started to sound louder and louder as if it were cavitating. In familiarizing myself with the vent on the cap it seems like it only allows air out to avoid positive pressure when lowering, but doesn't allow air in.

After the flush and the system came back up to pressure with the system at Normal height, I cycled through to High and then back to Normal and everything worked as intended. I put easy access back on as usual and cleaned up shop.

Fast forward to the drive home from the shop at my parent's place - start the LX up and the pump is making a high pitched whine and doesn't come out of Low. I drive home and let the truck sit for a few days. Today I take the truck back and go through the following steps thanks to a few posts @TeCKis300 has made in various AHC threads.

• Added an extra .5 liter of fluid
  • Bled 5th accumulator [not much pressure at all or fluid]
  • Cracked Rear No 6 Height Control Tube
    • Let fluid run out while truck was off to ensure prime

Started the truck back up and the same pump whine was persistent with .16mpa pressure showing from techstream. I noticed it was very slowly building pressure though, three cycles of clearing codes and it was up to 2.89mpa. I primed the pump once more by disconnecting the No 6 tube completely and running the pump, a good amount of fluid emptied into a catch can. Fired the truck up again and it wasn't getting above the 2.89mpa. So I did what @llaga did and used a small hand pump to pressurize the reservoir while it was running and immediately the pump started to pressurize the system and work as it always had been.

Truck rose to Normal and the pump stopped. Pressure was reading ~8.75mpa and I tried to go to High mode. No bueno. Tried to lower to Low and it proceeds as it should. Restart the truck and try to bring it back up to Normal and no luck, even with applying a little positive pressure. I noticed the pump was making a ticking noise and was a bit unstable in it's rpm.

Here's a video [caution it might be loud]:

My next step is to drop the pump and inspect the reservoir. I feel like there might be something on the inlet side of the pump whether it's air or debris. At the same time I'm going to order another pump & res assembly, as it might be on it's way out after all this. The truck isn't on the bump stops, but should I try bleeding again?

--

Unfortunately I'm what, the 4th report in a month with similar issues? Is there something similar between all of us? I love the AHC system, have flushed it and replaced the front struts without any issues. Hope this help adds more data and maybe some of the knowledgeable AHC dudes can chime in if there is something I haven't tried yet.

//Root Cause

To update the thread, it seems like debris in fresh fluid was the cause. See photos on pg. 3

//Retrospect

Filter fresh fluid.
Bleed one corner at a time.
If you are going to clean out your AHC pump filters, make sure you notate how the gears are clocked and put them back in exactly the same.
Before reassembly, fill pump head with fluid as much as possible.

Our comrades in Russia run fluid that looks like cigarettes are put out in it and repair AHC lines by hand - this system can take abuse. There also might be one more mystery at play here with these failures.

//AHC Detail

Last edited:
Yeah, it's really interesting as to the frequency. As far as I can remember, there was exactly one such event in the last three years, and now there is a cluster of same thing.

It is interesting that once prime is established successfully it is lost again. That is very unusual.

Agree with hypothesis that something is in the inlet, or worse, in the blades. Could also be pump seal(s)?

Sounds in the video like something in the blades . . .

Yeah, it's really interesting as to the frequency. As far as I can remember, there was exactly one such event in the last three years, and now there is a cluster of same thing.

It is interesting that once prime is established successfully it is lost again. That is very unusual.

Agree with hypothesis that something is in the inlet, or worse, in the blades. Could also be pump seal(s)?

Sounds in the video like something in the blades . . .

I'm wondering if removing the filter to fill is a bad idea, even if particular attention is paid to having a clean environment. Taking it a step further, maybe the hand pump that I used to fill the reservoir, as well as trying to get the last bit of AHC nectar, introduced bubbles that made it to the inlet?

Even so, if you've established prime and there is fluid volume above the pump, it shouldn't lose prime again. Any bubbles would move into the system and could be bled out.

It's the loss of prime and inability to reestablish which is new to troubleshoot. Once we figure out the fix (hopefully it isn't 'order a new pump') it probably will be an easy item to work around or follow an SOP to remediate.

Good feedback as to using the different strategies. Likewise I'm a bit miffed that you got her to prime, only to loose it shortly after.

From what I remember of that filter screen, it seems to be a finer mesh than I've ever come across. Very well could be that it's particularly susceptible to foreign object debris (FOD). This is one of the major issues to servicing and often our enthusiasts pursuits for better creates issues in and of itself.

Not sure I have any particular recommendation other than to remove the pump and thorougly give it a once over cleaning or replacement?

Even so, if you've established prime and there is fluid volume above the pump, it shouldn't lose prime again. Any bubbles would move into the system and could be bled out.

It's the loss of prime and inability to reestablish which is new to troubleshoot. Once we figure out the fix (hopefully it isn't 'order a new pump') it probably will be an easy item to work around or follow an SOP to remediate.

Good feedback as to using the different strategies. Likewise I'm a bit miffed that you got her to prime, only to loose it shortly after.

From what I remember of that filter screen, it seems to be a finer mesh than I've ever come across. Very well could be that it's particularly susceptible to foreign object debris (FOD). This is one of the major issues to servicing and often our enthusiasts pursuits for better creates issues in and of itself.

Not sure I have any particular recommendation other than to remove the pump and thorougly give it a once over cleaning or replacement?

Yep, loss of prime after achieving it - killing me here. I hope to have the pump apart Friday evening, does the FSM or anyone have details on the pump assembly/inner workings itself?

Unfortunately not. It doesn't go below the component level. Sorry you're having to tear into it further, but would appreciate if you can take lots of pics.

I've discussed this with my Indy Toyota mechanic. He has been down this road and eventually took the pump apart. He found there are couple of very fine mesh filters inside. They can get clogged or partially clogged and result in behavior like this. I realize this is second hand information so take it with a grain of salt, but perhaps you find it useful.

I've discussed this with my Indy Toyota mechanic. He has been down this road and eventually took the pump apart. He found there are couple of very fine mesh filters inside. They can get clogged or partially clogged and result in behavior like this. I realize this is second hand information so take it with a grain of salt, but perhaps you find it useful.

Here. We. Go.

Thank you for the info! I was going to order the pump & assy tonight, but will hold off.

Pump disassembled, found screens and the inlet side was gunked up. Have some video and photos, but I don't think clogging an AHC line is possible after going through this. Also, the pump gears looked pristine and there are zero soft bits inside the whole thing - just a couple of orings on the low pressure side of things.

Time to slap it back together and hope it works!

Edit-will get photo/video posted up later tonight

@grinchy, dare I say that we're the old geezers now and the new whipper snappers are lapping us.

@grinchy, dare I say that we're the old geezers now and the new whipper snappers are lapping us.
For sure!

Some good tech added in the last week to fix some dire looking symptoms. @chalice pics or it didn’t happen

Brain is kinda mush after the week and 5 hours in the shop, so I might have to edit this later hah.

Here's how it went down:

Dropped the pump with the reservoir FULL. This was kinda fun, just put my finger on the outlet while lowering it. The biggest pain here was disconnecting the main pump power harness and sensor harness from the rear of the truck, facing the spare tire. Road grit and smog made pushing the tabs in a chore, and I need to replace a ziptie<>frame plastic mount that holds the harness. I also left the filler neck attached and just massaged the hardline out of the way while the pump & assy came out.

Emptied reservoir to check for debris, looked perfectly clear.
Pulled the motor from the pump head, 2x5mm hex + o-ring.
Pulled reservoir from pump head, 5(ish)x5mm hex + o-ring.

Disassembled the pump head internals 4x3mm hex which gave me confidence of the assembly. The pump had ran for quite some time while cavitating/not building pressure and the interior looked like new. No easy failure points found. I used the compressor to blow every channel out and cleaned the whole thing as best as I could. I kept looking and looking for the fine mesh screens @tincan45 mentioned, but couldn't find them. It wasn't until I looked again on the outlet side that I spotted the screen right in front of me. They are pressed in with a brass(?) collar and don't appear to be a maintenance item. The reason why I couldn't find it, is because the filter on the inlet side didn't look like a filter - it was covered in debris/gunk.

Video of filters showing the inlet [dirty], some of the debris I removed on hand and then showing the outlet filter [clean]. Tried to share and keep it high resolution to actually see the filter.

New video https://photos.app.goo.gl/vqAV9mjMuiPK5nBg8

Wiped the reservoir interior down the best I could with a fresh towel and a bunch of dirt/dust showed up on it. Attached the rez to the pump head, then attached the motor. Raised the assembly on a floor jack into position while routing filler neck, wire harness, and again massaged the hardline into place. After attaching/reconnecting everything I filled the rez with the prior fluid and almost a full liter bottle I had on the shelf. I made sure to fill with the filter IN PLACE. Yes, it sucked - but I did have a hose that attached to the filter and that made it a little better. And yes, the filter caught a good amount of junk. One interesting note was I used a different pump and it might have shed some plasticizer? Glad I had the filter in place, I'll be buying a new one.

Opened the hardline union to prime and after about a full minute a steady stream of AHC fluid was coming out - tightened the union. Fired up the truck and it shot up to Normal height. Bled 5th accumulator, then it shot up to High mode with ease. Bled all 4 corners from Normal, while making sure I started the truck after each corner to raise. Each time the pump raised the corner and shut off in record time.

Showered with gojo, poured some Barrell and wrote this post.

Photos [imgur is down right now]: LX AHC Pump Disassembly & Clean - https://photos.app.goo.gl/MX2FCq8D52wcm7YS8

This is pretty epic! Thanks for shedding light on this problem and I imagine it's going to be a great resource for many going forward.

To clarify, I think you're saying it's the pump inlet filter that's plugged with debris that's creating the non-prime issue? From the manual, pointed in blue
1622908587871.png

Couple other questions
1) How hard is it to drop the reservoir and pump?
2) Once the tank is on the bench, I presume it's rather easy to break down the pump and get to this filter. How long is that process?

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom