LC versus LX Steering Rack ? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW, my local independent Lexus mechanic quoted me some ridiculous price for a new Lexus rack for my '03 LX (w/VGRS), then immediately told me that the Toyota part was way cheaper, identical, and could be had remanufactured (apparently Lexus doesn't allow such trash :cool:)

@SmoothLC Here are instructions and PNs for a 98, 99 PNs are the same:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/land-cruiser-steering-rack-v2-pdf.1711894/

BTW, both PNs you listed are incorrect for the rack, the correct PN is 44250-60050, for example: Toyota Steering Gear 44250-60050 | LHMToyotaSpokaneParts

Also, shaky steering wheel could be the upper steering column shaft. You can easily check for play under your dash. Full post here: How To: Replace your own Upper Steering Column Shaft

In your PDF @Ayune you mention using the Toyota "Large Rubber Bushing" (45517-60010) as shown below, or to use the Whiteline W13210 kit that a number of Mudders have used (also shown below).

Quick question: It looks like the Toyota part is a single bushing vs. the Whiteline which contains the large D-style bushing plus four grommets - what are these used for/are they necessary if I purchased the Toyota rubber bushing? Thanks.

Toyota

45517-60010-grommet-steering-rack-housing-for-lexus-lx470-toyota-land-cruiser.jpg

Whiteline

8113qe%2BAv8L._SX355_.jpg

It looks like they sit around the bolts holding the D-style bushing in this post.

win_20171119_11_35_04_pro-jpg.1577289

Quick question: It looks like the Toyota part is a single bushing vs. the Whiteline which contains the large D-style bushing plus four grommets - what are these used for/are they necessary if I purchased the Toyota rubber bushing?

It looks like they sit around the bolts holding the D-style bushing in this post.

Correct, the smaller Whiteline bushings can replace the two rubber bushings that come pre-installed in the new rack. From what I’ve read they could be a PITA to remove, plus I was on a tight timeline, so I did not exchange them. The Whiteline bushings are two-piece so they should install pretty easy.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, new member and owner here. I bought my 2006 LX470 last month and love it. It has 141k miles. So far, I've replaced the spark plugs, engine/cabin filters, coolant T's (the driver's side broke when I pulled it out!), and fuel filter.

It looks like I'll be needing to replace my rack soon as well. DS boot has a sign of leak but fluid level has been stable. I found the Toyota rack PN 44200-60100 for $665+75 shipping to me from either LHMiller or Norwalk Toyota. The cheapest Lexus rack PN 44200-60120 I could find was from Lexuspartsnow for $1068 w/o shipping. Local Toyota dealers wanted $1170 just for the rack but will see if they will price match the online price.

For those who replaced their Lexus rack with a Toyota rack, did you all encounter any major issues or noticeable differences? Was everything pretty much a direct fit? It's good to know that Visceral did it with good success but wondered if anyone else has done it. I just don't know if it's worth paying an additional $400 for the Lexus rack when there may not be a huge difference. I could spend that money on the TRE's, etc that go along with this change.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and can likely do this with the awesome write-ups on here. This site is really amazing and helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

Hello everyone, new member and owner here. I bought my 2006 LX470 last month and love it. It has 141k miles. So far, I've replaced the spark plugs, engine/cabin filters, coolant T's (the driver's side broke when I pulled it out!), and fuel filter.

It looks like I'll be needing to replace my rack soon as well. DS boot has a sign of leak but fluid level has been stable. I found the Toyota rack PN 44200-60100 for $665+75 shipping to me from either LHMiller or Norwalk Toyota. The cheapest Lexus rack PN 44200-60120 I could find was from Lexuspartsnow for $1068 w/o shipping. Local Toyota dealers wanted $1170 just for the rack but will see if they will price match the online price.

For those who replaced their Lexus rack with a Toyota rack, did you all encounter any major issues or noticeable differences? Was everything pretty much a direct fit? It's good to know that Visceral did it with good success but wondered if anyone else has done it. I just don't know if it's worth paying an additional $400 for the Lexus rack when there may not be a huge difference. I could spend that money on the TRE's, etc that go along with this change.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and can likely do this with the awesome write-ups on here. This site is really amazing and helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

Any luck with your inquiry, Peter?

I'd like to know same.

Would be helpful.

Thanks!

Any luck with your inquiry, Peter?

I'd like to know same.

Would be helpful.

Thanks!

Sorry for the resurrection, but is the consensus still that LC steering rack is ok to use in place of the LX version? Still about $400 difference in price. Rockauto appears to sell the same part numbers for both. Only apparent difference mentioned that I've seen is ratio is 18 vs 19, which unless that causes some issue with VGRS can't see it mattering. Any thoughts or confirmations they've installed the LC rack on LX with no issues would be appreciated. I'm on a 2005 LX470.

Also hate to jump on this old thread but I am in the same boat with a 2007 LX470 and was thinking of doing the LC part instead? any comments appreciated, thanks.

Hi,

I ended just monitoring the rack and fluid level which hasn’t changed since I flushed the system. When it comes down to it, I’ll likely just buy the Lexus rack at $1007 vs $600 something just to make sure there are no issues, although someone above used the Toyota on his Lexus without reported fitment issues.

Peter

Just wanted to confirm about using the Toyota rack vs Lexus. I took the gamble and went with a new oem Toyota rack for my 2007 lx470. I finished installing it this week and had the front end aligned. No issue with using the Toyota rack instead of the Lexus one. As a matter of fact when I got the old one out it even had Toyoda on the cast section. I did get tripped up with the VGRS initialization and left me with an off center steering wheel even though it was mechanically centered. They reset that along with the front end alignment.

Last edited:
Toyoda is merely the manufacturer of the rack assembly. A Lexus part would have the same thing on it. JTEKT/Toyoda Industries manufactures the rack assy.

Toyoda is merely the manufacturer of the rack assembly. A Lexus part would have the same thing on it. JTEKT/Toyoda Industries manufactures the rack assy.
Thanks I did not know that, I wondered if it was like some foreign Toyota entity or such. I was just happy that I saved the cash and it worked, I drove around all afternoon savoring the good feeling

A couple of weeks ago, I installed a Toyota rack in my 2004 LX. The alignment shop had no problem with the alignment. The vehicle steers very well. I can’t see any signs of a trade-off to using the Toyota part in place of the Lexus part.

I used a Toyota Part No. 44250-60100 in a 2004 LX.

Wish I'd come across this thread two days ago. I ordered a Toyota rack for my LX @ $650 shipped, then was advised by the vendor that it wasn't compatible based on my VIN. My plan is to have a buddy who works for Lexus do the install, so I'm not worried about getting the VGRS reset with their software. Guess I'll be re-ordering that now refunded order...

When I had my 2005 LX 470 took it in Toyota during system flush screwed up the system in started leaking cost me to have Lexus put a new Steering system don’t ever do a flush

I’ve got an issue with an open circuit in the VGRS actuator of my ‘04 LX so I’m trying to decide if I replace the actuator or change out the entire steering column with a Toyota (non-VGRS).

For those of you that have changed your LX column out with a Toyota column, have you noticed any difference in the “feel” without VGRS? Any regrets?

Also, if I go the route of changing out to a non-VGRS steering column, would I have to take it Lexus to have the VGRS system disabled and steering wheel recentered?

I’ve got an issue with an open circuit in the VGRS actuator of my ‘04 LX so I’m trying to decide if I replace the actuator or change out the entire steering column with a Toyota (non-VGRS).

For those of you that have changed your LX column out with a Toyota column, have you noticed any difference in the “feel” without VGRS? Any regrets?

Also, if I go the route of changing out to a non-VGRS steering column, would I have to take it Lexus to have the VGRS system disabled and steering wheel recentered?
I'm in the same situation, too. Would like to know if putting the Toyota rack on an LX ('04) has any issues related to the VGRS.

I'm in the same situation, too. Would like to know if putting the Toyota rack on an LX ('04) has any issues related to the VGRS.

The VGRS is not related to the rack, just the shaft going to the wheel. I have a Toyota rack in my LX and it works perfectly. The gear ratio is slightly different, but with my bigger tires it's unnoticeable.

If you dig through, kind of toward the most recent pages of my build thread, there are some part numbers and extra info in there.

I have the Toyota rack in my 05 LX and have zero issues. I could not discern the difference in steering ratios with 33s and doubt I could have with factory size tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom