LC 250 & GX550 Picture Thread (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the tuning of the sound is done through a few mechanisms.

The latch mechanism and its internal parts can likely be adjusted/modified to dampen the closure differently - like a soft close drawer vs a normal one as well as the sound of the strike plate. The hinge or that little spring loaded door closer mechanism in the hinge area - I'm guessing they can adjust damping of the door closing with that device. The weather stripping - the shape and density of the material will change the way the door shuts. The dampening material applied to the door metal outer skin will change the sound a lot. The interior door card can do a lot of sound dampening on the inside and sound absorbing - and also a firmer door card is important to how the interior door feels. A flimsy interior door handle never feels very good. Adjusting the cabin external air vents to manage the air pressure inside as the door closes and/or the same internally to the door or by slightly rolling down the window like some brands do - lots of options to do the air pressure adjustment, but they tend to all do about the same thing.

I think there's a handfull of components that can adjust to give the ideal door close feel and sound to make it feel "premium" that are not directly related to the mass of the door.

At the end of the day for me - I give zero F's what it sounds like as long as it closes reliably for the life of the vehicle and seals well.
I'm going to go with whatever a manufacturer does they do across the board with the premium lines receiving more sound proofing with thicker materials and glass. The rest is nothing more than creating a positive narrative spin out of necessity.

Your logic makes no sense.
It makes perfect sense. As I’ve point out to you twice, the sound a door makes can be tuned by the manufacturer. That is, the manufacturer can change the way the door clink sounds without any significant changes to the body structure.

So the sound it makes is not indicative of the strength or quality of the structure, as the article I provided explains. You are simply unwilling to change your assumption.
Why would any manufacturer tune a car door to make it sound like a cheap tin can? It sounds that way because of thinner sheet metal and less weight.

Or you’re just saying Toyota did not spend the time to do a good job on the design of the vehicle. Then that begs the question, where else did they cut corners in the design process?
They have a budget for engineering. How much time should they put into making the door clunk sound good versus more substantive?
You know it’s bad when a car reviewer clearly points it out. They rarely give any criticism on review vehicles because they don’t want to bite the hand that feeds them.
You don’t like the way the door abounded on video so now you know that it is a bad vehicle? :rofl:

The LC 200 sounds like an absolute tank in this video haha.
I’ve been driving a 200 for the last 7 years. How the door sounds when I close it is the least important thing about the vehicle for me.

I'm going to go with whatever a manufacturer does they do across the board with the premium lines receiving more sound proofing with thicker materials and glass. The rest is nothing more than creating a positive narrative spin out of necessity.
There's a mountain of research on this subject. I think mfgs seem to spend a lot of effort on perfecting it. Just a few examples:

1. Xu ZM, Xia XJ, He YS, et al. Evaluation and analysis of starting sound quality of automobile engine. J Vib Shock 2014; 33(11): 142–147.
Google Scholar
2. Hoeldrich R, Pflueger MA. Generalized psycho-acoustical model of modulation parameters (roughness) for objective vehicle noise evaluation. SAE technical paper 1999-01-1817, 1999.
Crossref
Google Scholar
3. Musser CT, Young S. Application of transient SEA for vehicle door closure sound quality. In: SAE noise and vibration conference and exhibition, Grand Traverse, MI, 16–19 May 2005.
Google Scholar
4. Zhang Z, Young S. Low frequency transient CAE analysis for vehicle door closure sound quality. In: SAE noise and vibration conference and exhibition, Grand Traverse, MI, 16–19 May 2005.
Google Scholar
5. Lee SK, Kim BS, Chae HC. Sound quality analysis of a passenger car based on rumbling index. SAE Paper 2005-01-2481.
Crossref
Google Scholar
6. Kim SJ, Lee SK. Objective evaluation for the passenger car during acceleration based on the sound metric and artificial neural network. In: Noise and vibration conference and exhibition, St. Charles, IL, 15–17 May 2007.
Google Scholar
7. Sun Q. Research on evaluation and application of car sound quality based on artificial neural network. Changchun: Jilin University, 2010.
Google Scholar
8. Lei L, Yan G, Yu HL, et al. Optimization of sound quality of vehicle door closing. Beijing: BAIC Motor Co., Ltd, 2012. pp.35–39.
Google Scholar
9. Yang C, Yu DJ. Research on quality evaluation parameters of car door closing sound based on pseudo WIGNER-VILLE distribution. Chin J Mech Eng 2011; 47(24): 91–96.
Crossref
Google Scholar
10. Wenzhi W. Development of prediction model for interior sound quality of pure electric car. Changchun: Jilin University, 2014.
Google Scholar
11. Xie X, Zeng F, Shen G. Investigation of objective parameters of vehicle door closing transient sound quality based on complex analytic wavelet method. Shock Vib 2018; Article ID 9478672:1–11.
Google Scholar
12. Jian C, Wen Y, Wei Y L. Research on subjective evaluation test method of automobile door closing sound quality. Automot Eng 2009; 31(4): 389–392.
Google Scholar
13. Shin TJ, Park DC, Lee SK. Objective evaluation of door-closing sound quality based on physiological acoustics. Int J Autom Technol 2013; 14(1): 133–141.
Crossref
Google Scholar
14. Cao XL, Wang DF, Jing C, et al. Grey relational analysis between subjective evaluation and objective psycho-acoustic parameters of car door closing sound. J Grey Syst 2011; 23(3): 257–264.
Google Scholar

It makes perfect sense. As I’ve point out to you twice, the sound a door makes can be tuned by the manufacturer. That is, the manufacturer can change the way the door clink sounds without any significant changes to the body structure.

So the sound it makes is not indicative of the strength or quality of the structure, as the article I provided explains. You are simply unwilling to change your assumption.

They have a budget for engineering. How much time should they put into making the door clunk sound good versus more substantive?

You don’t like the way the door abounded on video so now you know that it is a bad vehicle? :rofl:
Why would Toyota purposefully design the door clunk to sound like a tin can? Other than it being made out of cheaper and thinner materials to end up with a byproduct of that tin can sound.

You can’t make a flute sound like a tuba with enough “tuning”. The material composition clearly plays a role.

The car door clunk is actually very important if you are dropping 80k out the door with tags and taxes… We should expect more from Toyota.

Last edited:
I’ve been driving a 200 for the last 7 years. How the door sounds when I close it is the least important thing about the vehicle for me.
True, but you have to admit it is very satisfying...at least it is for me. Every time I drive my 200 the build quality, the quiet cabin, and everything else about the driving experience is very rewarding, then I pull into the garage and close the door...aw yes there is no question, it's a Land cruiser!

FWIW, After driving our 100 series for many years, I finally had the chance to ride in a Sequoia that was 10 years newer. The first thing I noticed were the light and tinny doors of the Sequoia when I closed them.

After watching the reviews by Throttle House on both the 550 and LC, I think the 550 is going to find it's way into our garage by the end of 2025. Based on the roughly 400 lb difference in the two chassis, I'm guessing the GX has more sound deadening and weight in some key areas like the doors. It may seem silly to some, but even after the 25 years, our 100 series still feels like it's part tank.

We've also owned our 100 for 21 years and 290,000 miles, (330,000 total miles) so it's safe to say we keep our vehicles for a longer time than most consumers. I'll gladly pay the higher initial price and longer term fuel costs for the nicer interior, smoother and more powerful engine and 10 speed transmission and better trailer towing capabilities. Both are nice vehicles, but at the end of the day, I have to give the nod to the GX 550.

I'll still probably keep the 100 around along with my 80 series for a number of years to come.

Why would Toyota purposefully design the door clunk to sound like a tin can? Other than it being made out of cheaper and thinner materials to end up with a byproduct of that tin can sound.

You can’t make a flute sound like a tuba with enough “tuning”. The material composition clearly plays a role.

The car door clunk is actually very important if you are dropping 80k out the door with tags and taxes… We should expect more from Toyota.
Same reason Toyota used a 5 speed for 20 years in the 4Runner that is the same transmission a the 6 speed in the GX but doesn't shift into 6th gear. Or why you can't get a V6 in the LC, Tacoma, or 4Runner. Heck, Toyota took the existing 3.5 V6 in the is350 and wrote new software to detune it to make a new is300. Doesn't always make sense but Toyota sandbags some models to separate them.

The door sound is psychologically important for many buyers. That's why they put so much effort into such an otherwise meaningless thing.

Now the doors I had on my armored solid axle 105 in Iraq....those were some heavy MF's and closed with a resounding thud. Didn't want to think about getting your fingers mashed in those doors. Easily 150 lbs each with 1.5 inch thick glass (that still rolled down) and they were hung off of factory hinges to boot. The whole rig probably tipped the scales at 9-10K. The armored 200 series I recently rode in in Israel were 10,000 lbs. They had a nice thud too.....

… this “Picture thread” has seemingly devolved into something a little less enjoyable. Maybe this will get things back on track.

Got into Moab today for my second Cruise Moab event - as we were at registration picking up our swag after vehicle inspection, I noticed a printout offering first look + a drive in the new J250, alongside some coordinates. We legged it to the location 20 mins away and found two LC’s and two Toyota staff, who promptly gave us 15 min rides and allowed us to talk their ears off/examine the rigs.

IG reel for those so inclined:

Photos for those less social media inclined:

IMG_4057.jpeg
IMG_4022.jpeg
IMG_4037.jpeg
IMG_4023.jpeg

IMG_4025.jpeg

Surprised at the size of the 250 - smaller than I expected, as others have mentioned.

Aesthetically pleasing, torque on tap was impressive, ride was good and handled well in sand and moderately technical bits. Driver view is fantastic and windows are cut just right.

Not too happy with the raised cargo floor and narrow, tight squeeze in back half. We’ll see what the aftermarket comes up with re drawers/sleeping systems. (Paging @Air Down Gear Up …)

All in all, matched up to what I’ve read in reviews this week. Glad to see it in person and thankful for the opportunity to experience the ride!

interesting to note
the LC250 starting price is higher than LC300 starting price in Japan.

I would never ever not in a million years pick a 2.8 diesel 250 or a 2.7 hilux engine base 4 cylinder Prado over a 3.5 TWIN 6 409hp GX LC300.
This is worrying because it means they will for sure increase LC300 prices in future, probably use spec updates as an excuse.

LC 250
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 3.08.16 PM.png

LC 300
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 3.07.53 PM.png

Last edited:
No need to know the why's but all I am gonna say is God bless you and protect you, always. 🙏🏿🫂.

PS: the "thunk" sound, is important ! 👌🏿🤗

Now the doors I had on my armored solid axle 105 in Iraq....those were some heavy MF's and closed with a resounding thud. Didn't want to think about getting your fingers mashed in those doors. Easily 150 lbs each with 1.5 inch thick glass (that still rolled down) and they were hung off of factory hinges to boot. The whole rig probably tipped the scales at 9-10K. The armored 200 series I recently rode in in Israel were 10,000 lbs. They had a nice thud too.....

FANTASTIC 😊 😍. Thank you very much for sharing this !

So , yes... At least the Land Cruiser Prado LC250 / Land Cruiser trim does have AC in 2 and 3rd row ceiling !

And the music of your video just made the decision for me: LC250 / Land Cruiser, is the one ! I am gonna miss the KDSS though.

… this “Picture thread” has seemingly devolved into something a little less enjoyable. Maybe this will get things back on track.

Got into Moab today for my second Cruise Moab event - as we were at registration picking up our swag after vehicle inspection, I noticed a printout offering first look + a drive in the new J250, alongside some coordinates. We legged it to the location 20 mins away and found two LC’s and two Toyota staff, who promptly gave us 15 min rides and allowed us to talk their ears off/examine the rigs.

IG reel for those so inclined:

Photos for those less social media inclined:

View attachment 3609993View attachment 3609992View attachment 3609991View attachment 3609990
View attachment 3609995
Surprised at the size of the 250 - smaller than I expected, as others have mentioned.

Aesthetically pleasing, torque on tap was impressive, ride was good and handled well in sand and moderately technical bits. Driver view is fantastic and windows are cut just right.

Not too happy with the raised cargo floor and narrow, tight squeeze in back half. We’ll see what the aftermarket comes up with re drawers/sleeping systems. (Paging @Air Down Gear Up …)

All in all, matched up to what I’ve read in reviews this week. Glad to see it in person and thankful for the opportunity to experience the ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom