Builds Landcruisin60s total frame off rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Huh....

No Toyota dealer is going to say it is worth it to save an ole FJ60.. they want to sell you new.

BUT IMOP it's not a value thing. Has 0 to with money. Has to do with the truck you want.

I could lump down the money and get a newer SUV. I didn't buy my 60 cause it's all I could afford, I bought it cause I love to classic lines of a 60 and the usefulness.

Yes and no. I've dealt with the head mechanic Toby at the dealership. He and a couple other guys there really like the cruisers (they were in awe when I first brought mine in), and I have gotten some really good deals with them. Also helps when you went to school with his son. I think the reason for going to the dealership is to give it an overview and see what really needs to be done. They were good and honest with me while I was there. Also, it'll give the parents peace of mind.

I like mine of course for its interior volume, its great fuel economy and most of all ... simplicity. Everyone here in the delta area who knows cruisers says its a wise investment. The cost to take a modern day car into a dealership and have the dealer give you a bill that would be stagering is one of the reasons I Like its reputation for being tough and reliable.
Long before I purchaced my cruiser I wanted to get on the veggie band wagon but did not know what vehicle to buy. I looked at vw,volvo and mazda and one toyota truck diesel. The mazda was in horrid shape so turned it down. The others were in no better shape. The toyota truck was in really badshape with the fuel tank ready to fall off and a big hole under the drivers feet. With the exception of the toyota truck 2LT's reliability record I did not like the reliability record of the other vehicles and discovered the cruiser. Dispite the fact the parts are more expensive so far I have been lucky and manged to keep it going. This summer is the time for me to do some major work on it but need the income to do so. I intend to prepare it as much as possible for the next winter so it does not rust anymore. Other then that goos truck its just that I want to restore it to its former glory :)

Wish you luck with the resto, I will be looking into doing the same thing soon enough. I will have to agree with pretty much every other older truck owner out there, I have one and will never trade it in for a new truck because I love the classics, they were built better, stronger and made to last (maybe with the exception of the rust). These days vehicles are made to be recycled with in 5-10 years tops. If I can I will make sure that my truck lives long enough for my grandchildren (if I ever have kids) will get to drive it.

If I can I will make sure that my truck lives long enough for my grandchildren (if I ever have kids) will get to drive it.

My kids rode home in the BJ60 after they were born and now they are learning to drive it! It's been baby seat to drivers seat already.

I bought some sand and started blasting today. It works pretty well. The only problem is my air compressor isnt big enough for this. I blast for 5min let the compressor sit for 10-15min and blast for 5min and repeat. But I cant buy a bigger one. I started by blasting all the way to metal. Then I decided on areas that arent rusty I am just going to do a quick spray over those areas so that they have a good tooth for the por. I dont know what to do on the rear open C channel frame. It has some flaking I will put up some pictures in a little bit.

I dont know what to do on the rear open C channel frame. It has some flaking I will put up some pictures in a little bit.

Up to you.... I have plenty of exfoliation corrosion in those channels. I am going to remove the channels and replace them.

Worth it for the long run. BUT it its minor, you can coat it with paint and get to it in a few years when the money bags are oK. It can be done on the vehicle.

My kids rode home in the BJ60 after they were born and now they are learning to drive it! It's been baby seat to drivers seat already.

That's really cool.

For the other posters...when I said No toyota dealer would say it is worth it.. I meant; they will look at book value and how much your spending versus what you will get out of it. They do not take into account that Toyota offers NO decent vehicles anymore to replace this truck.

IF Toyota NA sold a diesel solid SUV I would buy it. But all 60's diesel or gas are a classic that doesn't have a replacement.

Here are some pictures.
cruiser.jpg
cruiser 3.jpg
cruser 2.jpg

Keep up the build! It's cool....

I also have the cheap sandblaster from Home Depot. I haven't tried to run it. What size compressor are you using? How did you set it up? Do you have any water filters?

Thanks, its pretty difficult to keep myself going with this project. The rust control and prevention is a boring project. I am sure once I see some real progress it will start going a lot faster.

Its a Husky 15 gallon 1.5hp I dont have any water filters all I did was use a short hose like they recomended. I was running it at about 120psi it says to run at 90 but as soon as I started spraying it would drop a lot.

Last edited:
I did a little work today. I sand blasted the rust on one of the wheels then sanded it and cleaned the wheel with some mineral spirits. I put 4 coats of black and 4 coats of clear. I think it looks pretty good. I will be doing the other 3 soon. I am waiting to order and recieve my por15 so I can paint my frame. I included some before, after and mounted pictures.
wheel 1.jpg
wheel 2.jpg
wheel 3.jpg

I have almost all the frame ground down and cleaned. I have to flip the frame over so I can get the bottom of the rails. The only problem is I cant do that by myself, so I have to rig up something to help me flip it. Any ideas? I am also going to start PB blasting all the bolts and stuff on the old frame so disassembly should be easy.

I posted this in the Tool section, but its slow over there so I figured I would post here also.

I am looking to get a 115v MIG welder. I dont have an air conditioned garage and it can easily get over the 100* mark. Is it safe to have a bottle of sheilding gas in that type of heat? Also what is the best welder I can get for less then $500? I am looking at the Lincolns that HD has and a Hobart Handler 125 EZ or 140 from TSC. Are they good choices? Is one better then the other? Are there really any draw backs to using flux-core wire? I still consider myself a newb but I am taking a metal fabrication course at my school, so I am learning.

Thanks

Since your at the rust prevention get some LPS rust inhibitor and spray it inside the frame rail. It comes in an aerosol can and goes in easy. It will give it a little piece of mind and it doesn't wash off with exposure...Just a FYI...Rims look good.:beer:

Thanks I thought the wheel looked pretty good. It took my a few hours to do the one.

My progress is on hold until I get a welder. I have to weld a brace that rusted before I do the por15. I have no clue how it rusted. But it is the only real rust on the frame.

wow i admire you. doing a frame off with a fj40 is a big deal but with a 60 wow. what a project. your making way though! so what are your plans as far as painting the frame. por15, podercoat, or reg paint?

curious

I bought por15 for the outside. I think I am going to try LPS rust inhibitor like iaintscared recomended for the inside.

I finished all the wheels this weekend. Today I flipped the frame over to get to work on the bottom. I took the bump stops and the front little engine shield/skid plate like thing off. I sheared a bolt in it and a bolt on one of the bump stops. So I will have to get them out somehow. Right now I am waiting to sell some stuff so I can buy a welder and a bigger air compressor. Its really slow work when you can only use air tools for about 3min and then wait half an hour for the compressor to cool down and work again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom