Builds Land Cruiser Products scores another turbo 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do 105'S have 5 or 6 studs? Those wheels look like they are from a GX470

Factory sticker in English even thou they were never in the USA and everything else is in German:rolleyes:

IMG_1120.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool find! HDJ81's didn't come with trans coolers, not sure about HDJ80's, but have a look and add one if you don't already have it. Add a boost and EGT gauge (probe in manifold collector, pre-turbo), and a manual boost controller to turn it up to 15psi, really wakes these things up. Your green light on the dash not coming on till 2000rpm seems late, you might be able to play with the boost compensator and wake up the low end response with some more fuel down low.

Very cool find! HDJ81's didn't come with trans coolers, not sure about HDJ80's, but have a look and add one if you don't already have it. Add a boost and EGT gauge (probe in manifold collector, pre-turbo), and a manual boost controller to turn it up to 15psi, really wakes these things up. Your green light on the dash not coming on till 2000rpm seems late, you might be able to play with the boost compensator and wake up the low end response with some more fuel down low.

It does have a trans cooler.
I agree an EGT gauge would be nice - Where is the best place to tap in on my 1HDT?
Been driving the last couple of days and boast (light) comes on at 1400 RPM.
At this point I see no need for more boost runs super great.

I will say I may be looking for a 1HDT to replace my gas motor in my white CampTeq 80 with. I love the power off the line much more drivable than my past turbocharged or supercharged gas motor. Both the gas SC and turbo will be ahead at the end of the run but the diesel will get them all off the line for the 100'. The 1HDT auto is arguably the best set up for in town driving, perfect power and economy. Either the fuel is not accurate or this 80 gets unbelievable MPG.

Edit - 1HDT is not longer available from Toyota but the 1HZT is. For the Diesel guys what is the difference between the 1HDT and 1HZT.

Edit - 1HDT is not longer available from Toyota but the 1HZT is. For the Diesel guys what is the difference between the 1HDT and 1HZT.

Both 1HD-T and the 1HZ are available through parts-- IE: You would piece them together.

There is only a couple of known versions of an engine called a 1HZ-T and those are suspect. Very few if any people have seen a factory 1HZ-T in the wild. If they did, it was on a Coaster bus. I think it's a bunch of sheeit. A 1HZ-T is a unicorn or a ghost.

If you like the 1HD-T, wait till you drive one with a -FT or a -FTE.

1 HZ is indirect injection and 1HD is direct injection. You got the right motor.

What dont you like about the 1HZ as im looking at a truck with a 1HZ turbo equipped.

Edit The 1HD is not available in short block where the 1HZ is ...at least in Europe as per the builder.

Where is the best place to tap the EGT probe?

What dont you like about the 1HZ as im looking at a truck with a 1HZ turbo equipped.

Edit The 1HD is not available in short block where the 1HZ is ...at least in Europe as per the builder.

Where is the best place to tap the EGT probe?
On the manifold for EGT. Have the motor running and shopvac handy.

IDI diesels don't handle boost nearly as well as DIs. The 1HDT was built from the ground up to have forced induction, the 1HZ was designed as an ultra-reliable NA motor -- and it does that very well.

On the manifold for EGT. Have the motor running and shopvac handy.

IDI diesels don't handle boost nearly as well as DIs. The 1HDT was built from the ground up to have forced induction, the 1HZ was designed as an ultra-reliable NA motor -- and it does that very well.

Will the 1HZ handler 《6psi of boost reliable? Also see a lot of "BBB" talk on the 1HD has this been corrected on the 1HZ

Will the 1HZ handler 《6psi of boost reliable? Also see a lot of "BBB" talk on the 1HD has this been corrected on the 1HZ

Yes, the 1HZ+T will handle the 6 psi of boost with no problems. The BBB tend to get damaged after high mileage or use. I would think that you can do 100.000 kilometers (or more) comfortably without worrying about the BBB if you are building a 1HZ from new parts. If you are getting a used 1HZ, with unknown history, I would do the BBB as preventive maintenance so you can have peace of mind in that area.

EGT and Boost are two gauges that I would add to any diesel engine (as others have indicated). Keeping the EGT's low and a healthy cooling system will help to assure a long lasting engine, IMHO.

There are a ton of 1HZ+T running around and they can handle the low boost you mentioned without issues.

-Alberto

Nice rig !

Last edited:
Sure... Right up until you install a pyrometer :hillbilly:
You DO have a pyro, right? Tranny temp gauge is a very prudent install as well if you don't have one yet.
Cool truck. My 1HD-T is running at about 16 lbs boost with a 3" exhaust, so I see that red light all the time. Not worried.

Since you have the exhaust already, an intercooler is a huge upgrade on these motors. Even better if you can pair it with a G turbo and a Wholesale valve body. Like Enigma, I have none of these things :D

I hate my ****in pyrometer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom