Wanted Land Cruiser HZJ75 or PZJ75 (Troop Carrier) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To whom it may concern,

I am in the market to buy a Land Cruiser Troop Carrier. I would like to find one with less than 300,000 kilometers, left hand drive (not a requirement), low rust, fairly straight body, and jump seats in the back (also, not a requirement). I am not interested in any petrol models, something that requires extensive body work, or major rust management. Please message me with any leads of vehicles stateside or abroad. Thanks a ton!

Last edited:
To whom it may concern,

I am in the market to buy a Land Cruiser Troop Carrier. I would like to find one with less than 300,000 kilometers, left hand drive (not a requirement), low rust, fairly straight body, and jump seats in the back (also, not a requirement). I am not interested in any petrol models, something that requires extensive body work, or major rust management. Please message me with any leads of vehicles stateside or abroad. Thanks a ton!

I am working on a PZJ75 right now that fits most of your criteria. I will probably have it ready to list by the end of next week. Keep an eye on the classifieds here.

Joe

Just 'cause you asked, I've got a LHD Troopy listed in the classifieds right now. Yes, it needs some body love to be perfect, but presents fairly well as is. I just got it registered and insured in CO. Doesn't have the bench seats in the back, but I can get them if you really want them. Oh, and I'm in Boulder, so only a short drive if you want to come see it. PM if interested. Thanks!

Sorry--just saw that you're specifically looking for an HZJ or PZJ, mine's a BJ. Anyway, if you want to come see it and talk Troopies, let me know.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure you can get LHD HZJ's from Central/South America that are over 25 years old and thus legal to import (you DO know about the '25 year rule', right?), though most were formerly used as civil or industry trucks. LHD Troopies were sold directly to civilians in parts of the European market, but up until 1989 had 3B motors, 1990-1992 had 1PZ, and '93-on had 1HZ. Only up to 1993 would be legal to import as of now (and even a '93 you'd have to check the production date).

Sorry--just saw that you're specifically looking for an HZJ or PZJ, mine's a BJ. Anyway, if you want to come see it and talk Troopies, let me know.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure you can get LHD HZJ's from Central/South America that are over 25 years old and thus legal to import (you DO know about the '25 year rule', right?), though most were formerly used as civil or industry trucks. LHD Troopies were sold directly to civilians in parts of the European market, but up until 1989 had 3B motors, 1990-1992 had 1PZ, and '93-on had 1HZ. Only up to 1993 would be legal to import as of now (and even a '93 you'd have to check the production date).

Thanks gilmorneau, to be honest I was under the impression that the HZJ and the PZJ are nearly identical engines minus one cylinder for the PZJ. My hope was to one day have a 1HZ engine in whatever troopy I get regardless of what it comes with originally. I appreciate the insight into the specifics of different motors associated with the years. I knew enough to be dangerous, but not anymore. Again, thanks. I am aware of the "25 year rule" which is so insane for the 70 series. There needs to be some sort of "dynasty rule" considering how little has changed since 85', but I digress. I would love to come see the BJ troop carrier you have for sale and pick your brain about these fantastic vehicles. I wanted to see if it made it to CO before I made contact with you, since it seemed to be heading this way and I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger on anything. I will shoot you a PM with my contact info and maybe we can get together in the coming days. Thanks

AFAIK your impression of the 1HZ and !PZ is correct--that is, that the PZ is effectively a HZ with a cylinder lopped off. 1PZ was only available for a couple of years, but because of it's common lineage with the 1HZ, many parts are still available. So that's good.

Yup, you'll find an army of guys here on 'Mud that think the 25 year rule is pretty stoopid, myself among them. Add to that the utter and total absurdity of the so-called "chicken tax", and you'll likely get some 'Mudders apopleptic. Seems like a lower priority for the gubmint these days, though, so we'll have to live with it.

By all means, shoot me a PM. I've got a couple of guys who want to look at the Troopy this weekend, so I'll be around.

We are a few weeks out from being ready to sell, but we are importing a 93 HZJ75 from Australia. Plans for it are to sell it once titled & such. I don't recall all the details, but I think it is just a bit under 300,000km's, RHD, power steering & AC, 5 speed, bull bar, full floater, jump seats, etc.... It hits Denver on July 26th if all goes right. We are also in Boulder, so easy to check it out, etc...

It drove flawlessly for about 1,200 miles in Australia before we loaded it into a container.
Best,
Erica

AFAIK your impression of the 1HZ and !PZ is correct--that is, that the PZ is effectively a HZ with a cylinder lopped off. 1PZ was only available for a couple of years, but because of it's common lineage with the 1HZ, many parts are still available. So that's good.

Yup, you'll find an army of guys here on 'Mud that think the 25 year rule is pretty stoopid, myself among them. Add to that the utter and total absurdity of the so-called "chicken tax", and you'll likely get some 'Mudders apopleptic. Seems like a lower priority for the gubmint these days, though, so we'll have to live with it.

By all means, shoot me a PM. I've got a couple of guys who want to look at the Troopy this weekend, so I'll be around.

Hey gilmorneau, I attempted a PM and it said that your inbox is full. If you want to shoot me your contact info I can email you.

Last edited:
I’ve been looking for one here in Venezuela for a while. Rust free I’ve found is a pipe dream. I can’t find one without bad rust where the body meets the top. And 100% gasoline here, as gasoline is freeeeeee! But I did pick up a perfect FJ70 Last week. I’m going to post her soon as soon as I get some shipping details. Good luck in your search.

Shawn
@andesoverlander - instagram

I’ve been looking for one here in Venezuela for a while. Rust free I’ve found is a pipe dream. I can’t find one without bad rust where the body meets the top. And 100% gasoline here, as gasoline is freeeeeee! But I did pick up a perfect FJ70 Last week. I’m going to post her soon as soon as I get some shipping details. Good luck in your search.

Shawn
@andesoverlander - instagram
Thanks for the input Shawn. I am aware that it is nearly impossible to find something with zero rust. I am searching for limited or manageable rust. I am trying to stay away from extensive frame and body work. I am also seeking a diesel mainly for their longevity and torque. Good luck with the FJ70 they are fun little mountain climbers.

Yeah, that one is pretty awesome. There is another great one in Italy, but I don't know of any Euro Importers to talk to. Thanks cckone.

I don't know if anyone has noticed this but the listing is for a 1987 BJ75 and the pictures show a 1998 HZJ78 !

I don't know if anyone has noticed this but the listing is for a 1987 BJ75 and the pictures show a 1998 HZJ78 !

I noticed that too. Ha!

I noticed that too. Ha!

Contact in Germany is the easy part--I got that covered. But Joe's right, it's not a 1987. Check it out: 5-lugs.

Rust-free is indeed a very tall order for a 25+ year old Landcruiser. Not impossible, I have one in my driveway, but it's SOOOO clean and original that I'm afraid to modify it. I was thinking of selling it to the damn Landcruiser museum and getting something a little rougher that I could mess up with a clear conscience. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom