Land cruiser 80 with 100 series pads problem! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week I purchased an FZJ80 front brake setup up for my hdj81.
Install all the new stuff and it worked great still not the best brakes but they worked better than the JDM stuff.

yesterday I purchased 100 series ceramic pads from napa to seek a slight margin of improved brakes.
Lone behold they where a bitch and half to install and didn't really fit.
I had to compress the caliper all the way to barely fit them.

Now it seems they are sticking on when the brake is released.
What gives? I thought 100 series pads work on the fzj80 caliper and rotor?

It is not stated directly on your original post, but I assume you are referring to front pads, correct?

I am using OEM 100 series pads in front calipers, and yes, they were snug, but did not have any sticking issue. Are your pins lubed up?

If properly lubed, I imagine the NAPA 100 series pads are slightly thicker than OEM, which may be causing the issue.

The 100 series pads do work with 80 series calipers but they are a pain in the ass to squeeze in from my experience. I had to sand them down some to get them in. Since then, I’ve been running normal 80 series pads instead of the 100’s. I’m not sure about the sticking though, others can chime in about that.

how did your calipers look when you replaced pads? Possibly sticking caliper pistons. I didn’t have any issues with the 100 series pads besides getting them to fit.

It is not stated directly on your original post, but I assume you are referring to front pads, correct?

I am using OEM 100 series pads in front calipers, and yes, they were snug, but did not have any sticking issue. Are your pins lubed up?

If properly lubed, I imagine the NAPA 100 series pads are slightly thicker than OEM, which may be causing the issue.

Ya I think, it might be the napa pad being too thick.
never a dull moment owning a 80 series :clap:

The 100 series pads do work with 80 series calipers but they are a pain in the ass to squeeze in from my experience. I had to sand them down some to get them in. Since then, I’ve been running normal 80 series pads instead of the 100’s. I’m not sure about the sticking though, others can chime in about that.

how did your calipers look when you replaced pads? Possibly sticking caliper pistons. I didn’t have any issues with the 100 series pads besides getting them to fit.
I might just go back to 80 series brake pads.
The rotors and calipers are new/remanufactured stuff from an fzj80 because my cruiser is a jdm HDJ81 and comes with unobtanium brake parts

There is no discernible benefit from running 100 Series pads on an 80 Series. This was proven around 15 years ago when it first started to be a "thing" with the 80sCOOL email list. I find it comical that folks still do this.

But, it's your truck. Do what makes you happy.

There is no discernible benefit from running 100 Series pads on an 80 Series. This was proven around 15 years ago when it first started to be a "thing" with the 80sCOOL email list. I find it comical that folks still do this.

But, it's your truck. Do what makes you happy.
Interesting you say this because it’s one of the most common suggestion I get from other 80 series owners is to run 100 series pads.

I might just go back to 80 series brake pads.
The rotors and calipers are new/remanufactured stuff from an fzj80 because my cruiser is a jdm HDJ81 and comes with unobtanium brake parts

All good, I know seized caliper pistons can be an issue so that’s why I asked about your calipers since you mentioned it felt like the brakes were sticking. I just had this issue and had to change all the front brake components about two weeks ago so I understand your frustration!

I daresay the upgrade is good for stopping ability!
Night and day on my 1991 HDJ81 especially when towing my military CDN101 trailer
Every foot of extra stopping power saves issues, all my cruisers use the HZJ79 pads, again a tight squeeze and make certain your caliper pistons are clean, check that they easily cycle and do not hang up.

Last week I purchased an FZJ80 front brake setup up for my hdj81.
Install all the new stuff and it worked great still not the best brakes but they worked better than the JDM stuff.

yesterday I purchased 100 series ceramic pads from napa to seek a slight margin of improved brakes.
Lone behold they where a bitch and half to install and didn't really fit.
I had to compress the caliper all the way to barely fit them.

Most folks that install the 100 series pads must remove the anti-rattle shim on the back.

Also, when you install these very thick pads, if you install them on used calipers, they will mos likely stick or leak because you have now pushed the piston back further than it has EVER been and therefore contaminated it's travel area with debris from the boot. It's part of doing the brake jobs the "shortcut" way. BTDT. I don't anymore because I'd rather cry once.

I did the 100 series pads on mine, but I did new rotors, pads, calipers, hoses, the works, all at once. This is always a risk when doing any new pads into used calipers.
Yes, they were tight to start with. But that should not cause sticking. The sticking is coming from contamination in the bore of the caliper piston. You may be able to remove the caliper, gently pop out the boot, and blow out the debris, but you will also risk tearing a boot as well as other things. If I was going to prepare for that, I would pick up reman calipers and prepare to change them or pick up a rebuild kit and do it that way.

Good luck!

Interesting you say this because it’s one of the most common suggestion I get from other 80 series owners is to run 100 series pads.
Yea, it's pretty popular with the Facebook knuckleheads.

Again, it doesn't matter to me. It's your truck man. I just think it's really funny.

I run all OEM 80 Series brake parts, with the exception of the extended brake lines, which are also OEM Toyota. I can lock up 35s on dry blacktop and activate ABS.
Brakes are not an issue for me, but I maintain my truck.

I did this once, and not again. There was no actual improvement, and changout is definitely more of a pain.
Went from EBC green stuff 80 pad to EBC green stuff 100 pad, so there was a like for like comparison.
Your 80 rotor diameter (think length of lever arm) is still the same after all, so why would it improve braking performance?
The EBC green stuff pads also noticably consumed the rotor surface to some degree - that's a disadvantage, because changing pads (to do it right), now also requires either re-surfacing the rotors (not really practical), or buying new rotors.

100 series pads do NOT improve performance. And frankly...I can't remember that ever being touted. But they do seem to last longer. I've been running them on my 80 series for at least 15 yrs . Never had any problems with them, gone through a few sets.
Another benefit (for me) is I only have to keep one type of spare pads around for my 100 series and 80 series.

But don't swap 100 pads onto an 80 series expecting better performance, it won't happen and was never the premise for doing so to begin with.

Use 80 parts on your 80. They fit.

100 series pads do NOT improve performance. And frankly...I can't remember that ever being touted. But they do seem to last longer.
I stand corrected. I had mis-remembered why that idea came up years ago. People were grumping about having to change pads too quickly.

I stand corrected. I had mis-remembered why that idea came up years ago. People were grumping about having to change pads too quickly.

Right. And while some folks claimed (placebo effect) performance gains....it simply isn't possible. Best I remember (and this has been a long time ago) Cdan mentioned on the forum that is was 'possible' to fit 100 series (thicker pads) on an 80 series with the caveat that it would be a tight fit.

Quite a few folks (including me) tried that and it has worked well enough for me, less so for others. I will probably continue to do so...for a variety of reasons. But as best I remember...this all started with just the simple sharing of some information and then left to each person to decide if it would benefit them or not.

Last edited:
Think brake fade!
Big pad or little pad.
Big pad wins.
Also why we run big pads in underground mining HZJ79'S they stop better last longer and these same pads miraculously fit any 80. Mind you we don't have pavement, only solid rock walls, dirt, slime, water and think minus 15 percent grades.
9 people sitting with you, only headlights brakes and steering.
What pad would you run.

Think brake fade!
Big pad or little pad.
Big pad wins.
Also why we run big pads in underground mining HZJ79'S they stop better last longer and these same pads miraculously fit any 80. Mind you we don't have pavement, only solid rock walls, dirt, slime, water and think minus 15 percent grades.
9 people sitting with you, only headlights brakes and steering.
What pad would you run.
If I were running ridiculously overloaded and experiencing brake fade I might consider an upgrade. It wouldn't be to a pad that barely, if at all, fits and has negligibly more surface area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom