L shocks limiting travel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My question is if the L shocks made by OME are limiting the travel of my J lift. The reason I ask is I'm considering buying fox shocks from down south motorsports and if I go larger will I get more travel. If anyone has researched this any information Will be helpful. I have j lift all around with 2" metaltech spacer in front only. I'm curious if at full extension if I'm maxing out shock or suspension. If its shock then I could go larger and add limit strap. If it's suspension, then shocks that I purchase (fox factory series with reservoir should match what I have right now i.e. OME L's in compressed length and extended length).

Thanks

Matt

If you like your L shocks up front then just exstend the shocks out the 2" that the MT spacers bumped you down. This will get you out to approx. 19" to 30" the L shocks also have some play room by adding some large washers. I was able to add .75" to mine.

How would suggest extending out front shocks 2". Has anyone done this before out there?

QUOTE="GW Nugget, post: 10654199, member: 101130"]If you like your L shocks up front then just exstend the shocks out the 2" that the MT spacers bumped you down. This will get you out to approx. 19" to 30" the L shocks also have some play room by adding some large washers. I was able to add .75" to mine.[/QUOTE]

My question is if the L shocks made by OME are limiting the travel of my J lift. The reason I ask is I'm considering buying fox shocks from down south motorsports and if I go larger will I get more travel. If anyone has researched this any information Will be helpful. I have j lift all around with 2" metaltech spacer in front only. I'm curious if at full extension if I'm maxing out shock or suspension. If its shock then I could go larger and add limit strap. If it's suspension, then shocks that I purchase (fox factory series with reservoir should match what I have right now i.e. OME L's in compressed length and extended length).

Thanks

Matt

Hey matt,

If you have a friend with a forklift just take off your shocks and measure the distance of the two mounting points at full extension before the coils come out of the seats and also the length when it hits the bump stop, the bump stop will have some crush keep that in mind.

You don't need a fork lift to cycle the front end. Just 6 ton Jacks with the coils out is fine. There is several ways exstended them square tube or adding a threaded pin exstension or weld a threaded exstension from a old shock. Now that I just opened up a can of worms you will have a big argument over this whole subject matter.

If one thinks about it... a Ls shock compresses within the confines of stock bumps stops. The MT spacer has lowered the bump stop down 2" so that means you can lower the shock down 2" also without any issues.

Basically you are just moving everything down 2".

Last edited:
I'll have to pull the shocks out and test with the forklift. I do have one available. Theoretically though everyone uses L shocks with the J spring lift but I am assuming not all use the 2 inch metal tech spacers . So is it safe to assume if the L shocks are a good match I could buy a shock that is 2 inches longer than the L shock specs?

The fox shocks I looked at are same as the L shocks, Slee sells the 6 inch lift with L shocks, the rear tierod link will probably limit the travel as it will be forced into the radius arms unless you have addressed that

I have two sets of shocks that are 2" longer than Ls & only have .5" on the bumps up front it will be fine.
Screenshot_2016-09-15-21-27-10-1.jpg
Screenshot_2016-05-31-21-54-25.png

I think Downsouth has a longer Fox option with a pin on both ends. Look up @sbman he has a set.

I think Downsouth has a longer Fox option with a pin on both ends. Look up @sbman he has a set.

I spoke with Sonny from Downsouth and he didn't tell me any of that ..

I spoke to downsouth motorsports as well. I told them I would investigate before I purchased the shocks from them. And yes they can make the ends of the shocks to match oem specs.

I spoke to downsouth motorsports as well. I told them I would investigate before I purchased the shocks from them. And yes they can make the ends of the shocks to match oem specs.
Did you pull the trigger on longer shocks?
I think I saw you this weekend on Bald Mtn. but didn't get a chance to talk shocks...

No never got the shocks or my questions answered yet. Have not had the time to do all the measurements

Dobinson recommends the shock should be longer, meaning for a 2" lift, the shocks should be for a 4" lift and for a 4" lift, the shocks should be for a 6" lift.
Now since you are using the 2" MT spacers, you have stretched out the extension on the shocks by that much, so your new shocks should be even longer. Let's say 2" springs plus 2" MT that would require your shocks to be the ones used in a 6" lift, so they are not the limiting factor in the down travel.

Here is the Dobinson shock specs that @David Otero gave me.

3" shocks
Front 14.56" - 24.72"
Rear 15.03" - 24.80"
4" shocks
Front 15.35" - 26.37"
Rear 16.02" - 26.77"
6"
Front - 16.53" -28.66"
Rear - 17.00" - 28.74"

4-6" shocks are $125 each
3" shocks are $95 each

Good info here on a topic i have spent lots of time on. Most of what i have learned has been from the other greqt members here.

I had a list of the most comon shocks and there sizes. but i tossed the list after i was done shock shopping. What you will find is that most are within a inch of two of eachother. Some even for four inch kits are only L lenght. It does not always make sense.

But remember there are 2 important mesurments. Compressed lenghth and extended lenght. So you cant really just look at "2 inch" longer shocks. Some will have a longer stroke giving a shorter compressed length and longer extended or something of the sort.

So when shoppimg just try to get both dementions and work from that. Somplace i found the max comprrssed length with oem bump stops. I think it was about 15" in front. But get those numbers and work from there.

I'm running the j lift with 1.5 spacer up front. I matched the new iron man 2.5 body rebuildables foam cell pros
Front 28.75 and 16.75
Rear 28.75 and 17.25
These are for a 6 inch lift is how they are advertised, ive flexed it pretty close to bumps which rear is extended bumps by 2inch and front I have not done yet but will add 2 inch bump up front.
The shocks also have bump stops on the shaft for the last inch and half of travel.
Been impressed with them so far and more travel and control over the Ls I replaced

From what I've seen, the arms bind long before the shock travel expires. The only times it will droop further are when forced, which pits a ton of strain on the mounts, axle housing, probably the frame, etc. In looking at rigs that have been wheeled often, they are the ones with cracked axle housings, cracks in the radius arm mounts, damage to sway bar components, and so on.

The question becomes, is it necessary for the type of wheeling you're doing? For most people, my guess is no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom