L-seat vs Ridies Review DIY Comparison (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not sure oem should be the gold standard. My 68 bug's (albeit vinyl) seats held up better than my 2006 Toyota's. I have two other cars with leather seats older than the LC which also do not require replacement any time soon. Many factors of course. If Ridies last five years and oem aren't even sold anymore (right?), it's a small price to pay (again) for medium term
gratification. Sure makes a huge difference in my enjoyment of the rig now. New foam may be a big part of that though.
I agree OEM is more like the bronze standard, but it is THE most common standard for longevity thusfar.

My Lseat covers came in - pretty quick after ordering - and the first thing my wife said when looking at them is "those look cheap, look at that texture!". Oh well!
I like them, they look fine, don't mind the pebbly texture, i'm sitting on them fully clothed after all.. they'll be a big upgrade to the worn out 20yr OEM seats which, I agree, don't have a real premium look to them now (or ever?).

Actually I think the first thing she said was - "I don't remember agreeing that it was time to replace the seat covers!" but... her memory must be fading.

Actually I think the first thing she said was - "I don't remember agreeing that it was time to replace the seat covers!" but... her memory must be fading.

Tell her to get her A$$ back in the house and cook or clean something, you'll take care of the vehicles.....! ;)

Went with Lseat after reading this thread. I have 2 LC’s in need of leather — I didn’t get a discount trying to order two sets, so went with one (fronts) . Might go Ridies on my next set. — Kevin.

Incredibly disappointed in Lseat's customer service. Prior to ordering my seat covers, I asked for a swatch/sample of their leather color choices. I selected the color that was very close to my oem seats and ordered the covers. I paid for a custom logo and asked them to contact me before they manufactured the seats so I could give them the location, size, and color of the logo. They never contacted me even after I called and left a couple of voice mails. The covers arrived in several weeks with the logo on the headrest (not my preference), and more importantly, in the wrong color! I had ordered a medium gray and the seats they sent me were in a light gray (that exactly matched the light grey on the color sample). I submitted a return request and the customer service agent I dealt with (via email only) was very short in their communication and was adamant they sent me the medium grey seat covers (they call it Dove Gray). I sent them pictures of my current seats next to the color sample and the new seat covers next to the color sample, and the new seat covers next to the current seats...the differences in color were blatantly obvious. The agent continued to deny they made a mistake. To top it all off they are charging me 20% to restock the wrong seat covers they sent me plus $29 extra shipping. I will never order anything from lseat again and I'm going to do my very best to make sure everyone knows the kind of business this is.

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

^^^
You joined today, 3 posts in and you’re winjing about your BMW seats on a LandCruiser forum-

We already know about LSeat. Your experience isn’t unique and had you done some searching and reading here you might have learned that LSeat has lacking CS- most everyone knows it and factors that into the buying decision as they are low cost decent quality skins.

^^^
You joined today, 3 posts in and you’re winjing about your BMW seats on a LandCruiser forum-

We already know about LSeat. Your experience isn’t unique and had you done some searching and reading here you might have learned that LSeat has lacking CS- most everyone knows it and factors that into the buying decision as they are low cost decent quality skins.
I was going to say, I'd also be upset if the leather shop put an M logo on my Land Cruiser seats! :p

View attachment 2647521View attachment 2647522

Ridies nappa installed along with new seat pads, new carpet, and dynamat under. Rides like a 2006 Cadillac. Zero complaints. Pro installer did say the seats were a b----.
Here are my Ridies napa after 9 months of regular weekend abuse and irregular weekly errands. Kinda seem to be getting darker with wear. Might just be neglect. I've never cleaned them. I'm happy though. Back seats are original, for color comparison.

A3022858-CF72-4F22-8481-85808A79F434.jpeg

E0950B80-EE4F-45BA-8BFF-507E07FEAE53.jpeg

62B039E6-3220-4D2B-8FBC-2BD7BFB935FC.jpeg

E455738F-4568-4B64-A53D-5117B94BECD6.jpeg

Here are my Ridies napa after 9 months of regular weekend abuse and irregular weekly errands. Kinda seem to be getting darker with wear. Might just be neglect. I've never cleaned them. I'm happy though. Back seats are original, for color comparison.

View attachment 2897417

View attachment 2897418

View attachment 2897419

View attachment 2897420

Is that 'Light Tan' Nappa?

Sandstone IMO is actually the closest match to our Ivory interiors BUT they don't have it in Nappa.

I want to add my experience to this conversation. I ordered @Ridies because they use leather on panels unlike most others, included LSeats who use vinyl on non-seating surfaces.
The shipping was lightening fast. Ordered at the end of business day on Friday Jun 24th and had them delivered to my door on Jun 29th by DHL. They were drop shipped from Karachi, Pakistan - I was surprised how quickly they actually came in mail.

All panels are full grain leather and definitely very high quality. I later on learned that even the OEM covers that I took off had leather only on the seating surfaces and all the side panels were leather vinyl. Fit and finish is top notch with the exception of the front seat lower back hook. I ordered perforated and wrinkled inserts.

Just as @aharlan001 and @flintknapper reported the hook is incorrect size and doesn't work with our LX seats. I even spoke with the @Ridies representative over the phone before ordering and they assured me that this is no longer an issue, I still found it be unusable. @Ridies you should really try to address this. PM me is you want my old OEM skins that I took off to fix this issue - I can send them to you for the cost of shipping.

The fit and finish is top notch. This is my first time replacing the actual skins and it took a lot of effort but the results are very satisfying. First picture is of the passenger seat right after the fresh install - you'd notice it doesn't seem to fit very snuggly and looks kinda loose in places. Take a look at the second pic (of the driver side) after about a week. All the looseness is gone and leather fits incredibly well.

Overall I am very happy with the product and definitely recommend it.

20220701_155633.jpg
20220728_172810.jpg

Here are the hooks factory vs the faulty Ridies
20220715_113611.jpg
20220715_113622.jpg

And here is an example of Ridies quality: French seams on the headrest instead of the simple top stitch on the original leather
20220629_150458.jpg

Last edited:
I want to add my experience to this conversation. I ordered @Ridies because they use leather on panels unlike most others, included LSeats who use vinyl on non-seating surfaces.
The shipping was lightening fast. Ordered at the end of business day on Friday Jun 24th and had them delivered to my door on Jun 29th by DHL. They were drop shipped from Karachi, Pakistan - I was surprised how quickly they actually came in mail.

All panels are full grain leather and definitely very high quality. I later on learned that even the OEM covers that I took off had leather only on the seating surfaces and all the side panels were leather. Fit and finish is top notch with the exception of the front seat lower back hook. I ordered perforated and wrinkled inserts.

Just as @aharlan001 and @flintknapper reported the hook is incorrect size and doesn't work with our LX seats. I even spoke with the @Ridies representative over the phone before ordering and they assured me that this is no longer an issue, I still found it be unusable. @Ridies you should really try to address this. PM me is you want my old OEM skins that I took off to fix this issue - I can send them to you for the cost of shipping.

The fit and finish is top notch. This is my first time replacing the actual skins and it took a lot of effort but the results are very satisfying. First picture is of the passenger seat right after the fresh install - you'd notice it doesn't seem to fit very snuggly and looks kinda loose in places. Take a look at the second pic (of the driver side) after about a week. All the looseness is gone and leather fits incredibly well.

Overall I am very happy with the product and definitely recommend it.

View attachment 3071788View attachment 3071791

Here are the hooks factory vs the faulty Ridies
View attachment 3071789View attachment 3071790

And here is an example of Ridies quality: French seams on the headrest instead of the simple top stitch on the original leather
View attachment 3071787
Can you share any details/pictures of how the center console cover installs? Is it just an elastic band holding it in place or is it glued down?

Can you share any details/pictures of how the center console cover installs? Is it just an elastic band holding it in place or is it glued down?
It is glued down. Once you separate out the lid top (4 Philips screws), you will need to pry out the plastic cover (it is clipped in).

The original leatger cover was glued on and then stapled. I just used an industrial strength 3M spray on glue on both the leather and didn't see the need for staples.
HTH

@ClassyJalopy what did you do to address the hook mismatch? Does the Ridies version still work but not as well or did it require modification?

@ClassyJalopy what did you do to address the hook mismatch? Does the Ridies version still work but not as well or did it require modification?
I ended up just tucking it under the metal plate. This is a picture of the original cover but it shows metal plate. The whole back is covered by the rear cover panel so you never see it any way. If it does eventually start coming out, I might just use some self-tapping screws to nail the cover to the plate.

1659106769755.png

I ended up just tucking it under the metal plate. This is a picture of the original cover but it shows metal plate. The whole back is covered by the rear cover panel so you never see it any way. If it does eventually start coming out, I might just use some self-tapping screws to nail the cover to the plate.

View attachment 3072308
I used self tappers to hold it in place.

@Ridies Has the J channel problem been corrected in your production since July 2022?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom