KZJ78 Dump Pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rumble...
IMG_20190315_122318.jpg

Well - what do you think? Do you love it?
Wow!
Night and day. It was all done by about 2PM Namibia time on Friday when I took it for its first spin. The response was noticeably better and the pull was without delay. It had a slight rattle which was just the placement of one of the brackets and they fixed it straight away. I took it for a longer spin in the evening and then again early on Saturday morning when I decided that the tiny muffler which was fitted was a tad too throaty for my liking so I took it back and they changed it for a bigger one without charging me a cent. The performance is just as good but it's taken away some of the excessive growl.

My ECTs are the same as before - it heats up very easily here in Windhoek which is above 5000 feet and is about as hot and dry as you can get.

When it's hot and dry, I easily get up to 95 degrees C without batting an eyelid. I have established that this is not really an issue and is within the design limitations, but goes to show that a diesel engine with a turbo simply MUST have an intercooler.

This is the biggest weakness of the KZJ78 and something I will be putting right in due course.

Although I don't have an EGT gauge yet, I did have a 1/8" NPT bung fitted when they installed the downpipe.
I see this as phase 3 of the process of getting the KZJ78 up to the standard which it could have been on first delivery:

Phase 1: Get the cooling system working as its supposed to work. In my case it was just a matter of increasing the volume of silicone oil in the viscous clutch. This was after a lot of trial, error and the pain of experimenting with Evans Coolant (don't bother) and getting a new radiator shipped from Australia. Included in this phase is getting a digital ECT gauge which gave me empirical data and temperature patterns. Mine's an Engine Guardian 3 from eBay which monitors ECT and gearbox temperature.

Phase 2. Add a transmission cooler if the truck is an auto.

Phase 3. Get a non-restrictive downpipe and exhaust. 2.5 inch or 3 inch. I daresay a 2.5 inch will be fine, but I opted for a 3 inch.

Phase 4. Get an EGT gauge so you have a pattern to follow as ECTs, while essential, don't tell the whole story.

Phase 5. Get an intercooler. Get an intercooler. Get an intercooler. GET AN INTERCOOLER!!! I am going for a FMIC when the cash is available in a month or 3.

Phase 6. Get a Unichip fitted and get the the vehicle properly tuned so that the ECU can adapt to the improvements. This doesn't have to be tuned just for performance - reliability can also be tuned in.

Here are some images of the exhaust and downpipe:

IMG_20190315_122432.jpg

IMG_20190315_113621.jpg

IMG_20190315_113435.jpg

Last edited:
Phase 5: A Front Mount Intercooler. Here are some images of what I will be opting for...
The pictures were provided by Cori Hammond at Kaiapoi Repowers in New Zealand. Cori provided the downpipe pictured above for me as well.

KZJ78-Intercooler-01.jpg
KZJ78-Intercooler-02.jpg
KZJ78-Intercooler-03.jpg

Glad you liked it - I was pretty happy with the results as well.
Intercooler is also my next project. Let me know your progress so I can ride your coat tails! ;)

Glad you liked it - I was pretty happy with the results as well.
Intercooler is also my next project. Let me know your progress so I can ride your coat tails! ;)
I have you to thank for finding the source for our downpipes - I have been looking for years.

I have the intercooler and pipes sitting in my wishlist on Amazon, but that little project will have to wait until May. I'll keep you updated.

I have you to thank for finding the source for our downpipes - I have been looking for years.

I have the intercooler and pipes sitting in my wishlist on Amazon, but that little project will have to wait until May. I'll keep you updated.

Original credit goes to GTSSC for pointing me in this direction as well.

If you wouldn’t mind sharing with me your wishlist and plans (either by PM or this thread) I would appreciate it.

dont forget doing a front mount can be cheap, my intercooler was only 200NZD
I used old off cuts from my exhaust tubing , a can of black paint, a steel drop saw and a mig welder , a Tig welder and a Saturday without the kids
And a bit of roughness, I stick to the theory of pressure over flow, when flow starts to suffer get on that boost tap and crank it up, these 1KZTE motors love 18-20psi run super cool no smoke and whistle like crazy

Time to revive I think - where you at Trax? I have been enjoying the downpipe and exhaust and now summer approaches in the thin air of Colorado....
Isspro dual gauge for EGT and boost ordered. I want to be able to see baseline readings before more changes are made - namely intercooler. Still struggling with whether to take the much easier route and put the EGT probe in my downpipe or to spend the extra time and effort and put it in the manifold.
Also, my experience is less than a lot of guys on this board and wrapping my mind around the intercooler project and debating on air/air or water/air. At this point, leaning towards water/air with how tight things are in a KZJ78 with AC.

your EGT will give better info if it is installed upstream of your turbo.. I actually left in the stock downpipe, and installed the 3" exhaust as in the pics.. one bend & about 6ft in overall length.. I installed an O2 bung for Lamda sensor.. I am going to be installing a 2nd EGT sensor to measure system heat loss.. the lower the heat loss the more grunt & better "sweep" of gases thru head
shorty exhaust.jpg
3'' exhaust 1.jpg
3'' exhaust 2.jpg
3'' exhaust 3.jpg

My apologies for the delay in response - I have decided to delay the intercooler project for a while while I sort out some other issues. I have never been totally happy with the way that the KZJ78 with lift handles on road - it wanders too much for my liking, so I have had my front steering geometry serviced (some new boots, seals etc) to make sure that my next wheel alignment will give me empirical data on the caster angle which I suspect is the issue. I am not sure whether I will go for off-centre radius arm bushes or to go for a dropbox like this one from Malaysia:

The dropbox is simpler for sure and means that I will keep the OEM radius arm bushes which last longer than the off-centre type.

But back to the Dump Pipe...

With the new dump pipe and 3" exhaust, the truck has almost no turbo lag and is an absolute joy to drive. I (as in they) fitted an EGT gauge last week and in doing so it was noticed that there was a leak at the aft end of the exhaust manifold due to some minor warping, apparently very common on the KZTE, so it was skimmed and at the same time they tapped the thread for the EGT probe. So upstream of the turbo, which is ideal.

Auber instruments are expensive, but come highly recommended on these forums so I opted for the Auber Instruments SYL-1812RA - it also has an analog output so later on it will do double duty and and provide data to the Unichip which will be the last of the engine upgrades. That's a long way off, but hey, what's wrong with thinking ahead?

My EGTs, no intercooler yet remember, run at about 500°C without any pressure on the engine; but pushing it up a very steep hill go up to 770°C which is in the zone where you don't want be for more than a few seconds. I have set my alarm at 720°C which is also pretty high.

It will be interesting to see what effect the intercooler will have when I eventually fit one.

Last edited:
Time to revive I think - where you at Trax? I have been enjoying the downpipe and exhaust and now summer approaches in the thin air of Colorado....
Isspro dual gauge for EGT and boost ordered. I want to be able to see baseline readings before more changes are made - namely intercooler. Still struggling with whether to take the much easier route and put the EGT probe in my downpipe or to spend the extra time and effort and put it in the manifold.
Also, my experience is less than a lot of guys on this board and wrapping my mind around the intercooler project and debating on air/air or water/air. At this point, leaning towards water/air with how tight things are in a KZJ78 with AC.
I have temporarily placed a temperature probe in my engine compartment to get some data and also to figure out why my second (calcium) battery died after about a year without doing much at all. Once heat soak is complete the temperature in the bay sits at 71°C (160°F) which will cook a brisket very nicely! For me, that's a pretty good reason NOT to go for water/air. Also a good reason to never put anything but normal lead acid batteries in the engine bay.

My apologies for the delay in response - I have decided to delay the intercooler project for a while while I sort out some other issues. I have never been totally happy with the way that the KZJ78 with lift handles on road - it wanders too much for my liking, so I have had my front steering geometry serviced (some new boots, seals etc) to make sure that my next wheel alignment will give me empirical data onthe caster angle which I suspect is the issue. I am not sure whether I will go for off-centre radius arm bushes or to go for a dropbox like this one from Malysia:

The dropbox is simpler for sure and means that I will keep the OEM radius arm bushes which last longer than the off-centre type.

But back to the Dump Pipe...

With the new dump pipe and 3" exhaust, the truck has almost no turbo lag and is an absolute joy to drive. I (as in they) fitted an EGT gauge last week and in doing so it was noticed that there was a leak at the aft end of the exhaust manifold due to some minor warping, apparently very common on the KZTE, so it was skimmed and at the same time they tapped the thread for the EGT probe. So upstream of the turbo, which is ideal.

Auber instruments are expensive, but come highly recommended on these forums so I opted for the Auber Instruments SYL-1812RA - it also has an analog output so later on it will do double duty and and provide data to the Unichip which will be the last of the engine upgrades. That's a long way off, but hey, what's wrong with thinking ahead?

My EGTs, no intercooler yet remember, run at about 500°C without any pressure on the engine; but pushing it up a very steep hill go up to 770°C which is in the zone where you don't want be for more than a few seconds. I have set my alarm at 720°C which is also pretty high.

It will be interesting to see what effect the intercooler will have when I eventually fit one.
KZJ78-EGT probe.jpg

My apologies for the delay in response - I have decided to delay the intercooler project for a while while I sort out some other issues. I have never been totally happy with the way that the KZJ78 with lift handles on road - it wanders too much for my liking, so I have had my front steering geometry serviced (some new boots, seals etc) to make sure that my next wheel alignment will give me empirical data on the caster angle which I suspect is the issue. I am not sure whether I will go for off-centre radius arm bushes or to go for a dropbox like this one from Malaysia:

Hi, by any chance did you ever buy these castor brackets ? I am looking at fabricating some and I liked their simplistic design but am abit concerned with their strength.

So after having the 2.5”-3” Dump tube is manufactured, the line that was once going to the muffler be increased in diameter as well; a whole new run between the dump tube and muffler, right?

Wow!
Night and day. It was all done by about 2PM Namibia time on Friday when I took it for its first spin. The response was noticeably better and the pull was without delay. It had a slight rattle which was just the placement of one of the brackets and they fixed it straight away. I took it for a longer spin in the evening and then again early on Saturday morning when I decided that the tiny muffler which was fitted was a tad too throaty for my liking so I took it back and they changed it for a bigger one without charging me a cent. The performance is just as good but it's taken away some of the excessive growl.

My ECTs are the same as before - it heats up very easily here in Windhoek which is above 5000 feet and is about as hot and dry as you can get.

When it's hot and dry, I easily get up to 95 degrees C without batting an eyelid. I have established that this is not really an issue and is within the design limitations, but goes to show that a diesel engine with a turbo simply MUST have an intercooler.

This is the biggest weakness of the KZJ78 and something I will be putting right in due course.

Although I don't have an EGT gauge yet, I did have a 1/8" NPT bung fitted when they installed the downpipe.
I see this as phase 3 of the process of getting the KZJ78 up to the standard which it could have been on first delivery:

Phase 1: Get the cooling system working as its supposed to work. In my case it was just a matter of increasing the volume of silicone oil in the viscous clutch. This was after a lot of trial, error and the pain of experimenting with Evans Coolant (don't bother) and getting a new radiator shipped from Australia. Included in this phase is getting a digital ECT gauge which gave me empirical data and temperature patterns. Mine's an Engine Guardian 3 from eBay which monitors ECT and gearbox temperature.

Phase 2. Add a transmission cooler if the truck is an auto.

Phase 3. Get a non-restrictive downpipe and exhaust. 2.5 inch or 3 inch. I daresay a 2.5 inch will be fine, but I opted for a 3 inch.

Phase 4. Get an EGT gauge so you have a pattern to follow as ECTs, while essential, don't tell the whole story.

Phase 5. Get an intercooler. Get an intercooler. Get an intercooler. GET AN INTERCOOLER!!! I am going for a FMIC when the cash is available in a month or 3.

Phase 6. Get a Unichip fitted and get the the vehicle properly tuned so that the ECU can adapt to the improvements. This doesn't have to be tuned just for performance - reliability can also be tuned in.

Here are some images of the exhaust and downpipe:

View attachment 1929718

View attachment 1929719

View attachment 1929720
LostLTinJPN...This is what we need to do before bringing our rigs back CONUS...

Went with 3” and I will have 3” exhaust fitted next week.
It’s almost like I love to spend money I don’t have!
Lenny, do you have photos of your down-pipe installed? Did it come with a new gasket from Kaiapoi or will OEM have to be purchased separately? Thanks!

Lenny, do you have photos of your down-pipe installed? Did it come with a new gasket from Kaiapoi or will OEM have to be purchased separately? Thanks!

sorry - couldn’t find a pic anywhere in my library - nothing really to show anyway. It is just a bigger pipe with a smoother bend on it. Gasket came with down pipe if I remember correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom