ksaun's stumble saga (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Haven't posted any progress on here for a while! A lot has happened since Summer '21, when I bought my 40 and started this journey. After taking a month to drive the loud, floaty, smoking thing, I got started and tore the thing apart. At the beginning I really only wanted to address the obvious surface level problems and go from there, however every time I broke a piece off I'd uncover something underneath it that would totally suck me in.

After after a few years of tear down, moving spaces, and constructing a new garage, I find myself with a totally disassembled '72 40 and a whole lot of work ahead of me. Feels weird to be putting things together instead of tearing them apart, but it finally feels appropriate to call this a build thread.

1708298956322.png

Above is a shot from about 4 months ago when I finally got the project back in the garage and able to be worked on. Since then I've tore down to the frame and got it blasted and powder coated by a blaster here in Boise. Turned out pretty great;

1708299170979.png

I've also been working on the front and rear axles. Its been a fun experience, and the most technical part of this project I've done so far. I'm taking my stock '72 drum axle and outfitting it with some disc brake parts. Shoutout to @ginericLC and @Hamachi.

IMG_6032.jpg
IMG_5694.jpg

Have been media blasting all of the appropriate parts, shooting them with a coat of etch primer and a coat or two of rustoleum satin black protective enamel. Has turned out pretty well in most applications and seems to be 'ok' tough. Open to suggestions for a coating that might be hardier but not break the bank. Fit with a rebuild kit, and a stud kit from cruiser outfitters. Went through all the work to get it fit, torqued down, and greased and realized the short birfs I have are too large in diameter to get into the knuckle ball :flush: so I had to take everything apart and grind the ball out a bit to get the birf to fit. Making progress! Cheers

I have used POR15 with good effect, although it needs to be covered with another paint as it breaks down with UV exposure.
With the Prep work you have done, it will work well. There are other brands that work as well, POR15 has been my personal go to for a number of years.

Finally pretty much done with the front axle! Took me long enough.

unnamed.jpg

Ended up using mostly all new hardware, studs, etc. Didn't feel like skimping out on suspension HW. New bearings & races. All that's left on this is deciding what to do for locking hubs. I have the short birfs so I could do AISIN hubs but I have a set of warns I may use instead, if I can.

IMG_6208.jpg
IMG_6713.jpg

On to the rear and hopefully getting the frame on the axles by May? Crossing my fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom