New user intro - '72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!

This last weekend I made a trip out to the Columbia River and picked up my first project car, and first FJ40! It's a '72 with unknown mileage, original F engine and 3-speed. Things are fairly stock except for some slight cosmetic differences such as the front bezel and 3 or 4" lift, and a weber 38mm carb.

Plans on the horizon;
  • track down fun electrical issues such as lack of functioning turn signals, finicky headlights, gauge cluster etc.
  • tear down to address minor body and interior rust, as well as remove a Walmart spray paint job haha
  • consider options in making it a more highway friendly vehicle. Some alignment issues possibly originating from the lift is likely. Looking to reduce various noise in the cabin and engine bay.
Thanks for any comments, and looking forward to chatting with everyone! Cheers :)

Keegan

B4CF7D32-2807-441A-BFFE-E12D3AEB1110.jpg

0DC70E00-9E71-4276-BABA-0F0DFF66C7E2.jpg

0997DCD4-668C-48A6-A74F-FF3BC87A3EB2.jpg

Hi all!

This last weekend I made a trip out to the Columbia River and picked up my first project car, and first FJ40! It's a '72 with unknown mileage, original F engine and 3-speed. Things are fairly stock except for some slight cosmetic differences such as the front bezel and 3 or 4" lift, and a weber 38mm carb.

Plans on the horizon;
  • track down fun electrical issues such as lack of functioning turn signals, finicky headlights, gauge cluster etc.
  • tear down to address minor body and interior rust, as well as remove a Walmart spray paint job haha
  • consider options in making it a more highway friendly vehicle. Some alignment issues possibly originating from the lift is likely. Looking to reduce various noise in the cabin and engine bay.
Thanks for any comments, and looking forward to chatting with everyone! Cheers :)

Keegan

View attachment 2679016

View attachment 2679017

View attachment 2679018
Nice looking rig! I have a '72 as well. Love it

I like it..

For your electrical issues get a wiring diagram for your year and start checking the grounds.
Replace the 3 major grounds with new.

Also Battery negative to Frame and Battery Negative to Motor Mount
@Fourrunner had a great set of battery cables or you can get some from auto parts store
scrape contact points on frame and motor mount with a wire brush and apply dielectric grease

@merbesfield I would consider starter to frame, battery negative to frame and battery negative to motor mount the three main grounds. More experienced members might chime in and add to this

@merbesfield I would consider starter to frame, battery negative to frame and battery negative to motor mount the three main grounds. More experienced members might chime in and add to this
Got it. This makes sense to me now. Thx.

For your electrical issues get a wiring diagram for your year and start checking the grounds.
Replace the 3 major grounds with new.

Thanks for the tips! Currently having issues with the turn signals... might start working on them this weekend. :) Will take a look this direction

Find the proper COLOR wiring diagram. Print it out 11”x17”. Go to Kinkos/FedEx and they have a DIY laminator that is nice and thick. Then you can carry it into the garage and study your wires with ease and not get the paper all greasy. I did two! One for under the truck and one for bench. Works great.

Definitely looks like a great starting point.

Regarding the wandering issue, I'd look into the steering first. Check the tie rod ends and go from there. Is it still stock manual steering? If so, save your lunch money for a power steering conversion. It makes a world of difference with these rigs. Keep us posted on your progress!!

Definitely looks like a great starting point.

Regarding the wandering issue, I'd look into the steering first. Check the tie rod ends and go from there. Is it still stock manual steering? If so, save your lunch money for a power steering conversion. It makes a world of difference with these rigs. Keep us posted on your progress!!
Awesome tips, thank you! Power steering definitely on the radar, as yeah, its stock. Also looking into disc brakes on the front while I'm in that area.

Some updates on my progress so far :) ;

IMG_0331.jpg

Here you can see I did the right of passage top removal, looks pretty good! Lot of rust behind the running boards, and they're pretty kinked up. Took those off too to straighten out and strip.

IMG_0728.jpg

Deciding to start with some various body work that I already know how to do... Low hanging fruit :) Here you can see the rear hatch getting paint stripped after having (most of) the hardware removed. Can't seem to figure out how to remove that little plate with the weird 3-indent bolts there. Proceeded without removal although there's a gasket there that's pretty worse for wear.

IMG_0737.jpg

After stripping and sanding. Will continue with body hammers and straighten out some bending in the corners :) This kind of work will continue with most of the body over the summer! Doing doors right now, and have some bondo & rust to address behind some removed diamond plate.

IMG_0897.jpg

Gramps came over and drilled some PITA painted-over philips bolts out.

Thats about all! Baby steps ;)

Cheers~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom