knuckle bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting the parts together for a knuckle rebuild and was going to purchase a rebuild kit from medtro (he is on this board and has been really helpful) but he mentioned today that the knuckle bearings in his kit are heavy duty Koyo TR0305C9 Hi Cap not the typical Koyo TR0305A. Medtro said they appear to be the same size as the TR0305A but with 16 rollers. Has anyone used the Koyo TR0305C9 Hi Cap?

I honestly don't know about the bearings, but does his kit include everything needed for the rebuild? How much does it run?

I was going to order SOR's kit but if the answer you get on the bearings is good, I'll order one from him.

Spook50 said:
I honestly don't know about the bearings, but does his kit include everything needed for the rebuild? How much does it run?

I was going to order SOR's kit but if the answer you get on the bearings is good, I'll order one from him.

Spook

medtro posted up for the 80's kits he has here https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=49260&highlight=medtro

I think he quoted me cheaper for the 60's kit but I cannot find it at the moment. Plus I don't have to worry about shipping :D 'cause he is Phoenix.

I am getting the star nuts and several gaskets, wheel bearings and the birf c-clip in addition to the kit... provided someone can provide positiove feedback on those heavy duty knuckle bearings.

Use the TR0305A for the trunnion bearings. They are a proprietary design that has a steepr thrust angle than a high speed bearing. It makes them much more durable for this application. The Hi-Cap bearing is a heavy radial load, high speed bearing. The 0305A is a heavy thrust load, low-speed bearing.

I don't have any advice on the difference between the knuckle bearings except that you should tear it down first, then decide if they need to be replaced at all.
I ordered the kit w/bearings ahead of time only to find out the existing ones were PERFECT. Just a thought, since every penny counts (at least for me).

My 60 had mostly HWY miles, so either they had been done by the PO or they never really got a work out.

Toadhopper said:
I don't have any advice on the difference between the knuckle bearings except that you should tear it down first, then decide if they need to be replaced at all.
I ordered the kit w/bearings ahead of time only to find out the existing ones were PERFECT. Just a thought, since every penny counts (at least for me).

My 60 had mostly HWY miles, so either they had been done by the PO or they never really got a work out.

Toad, Every penny counts for me too but I am not a very experienced mechanic and I know that no work has been done in the knuckles for atleast the last 6 years so I think I want to get in there and replace everything and keep anything that is in good shape as a spare. Just my take on it.

How much for the bearings you did not use. :D

Kurt over at cruiseroutfitters says he has OEM toyota koyo knuckle bearings with a part # of FA17001. Too many part numbers...

The Toyota part number for the 40,45,55,60,62, SA mini trunion bearings is 90366-17001-77

The number physicaly on the bearing and the race is TR0305A

cruiserdan said:
The Toyota part number for the 40,45,55,60,62, SA mini trunion bearings is 90366-17001-77
Thanks Dan.

My bearing kit was 87.00 from Kurt (really cool guy)at Cruiser Outfitters. Plus 90.00 for the wheel bearing set for both sides.
I ended up making a trail kit w/ the extras as well. So no real harm done I guess.
I'm sure you've checked the threads on this forum on the Birfield repacks which is the best info I found. If you haven't, do so ASAP. I printed out 3 different ones plus I had the FSM.
Make sure you get MOLY grease for the Knuckles, CruiserDrew recommended Amsoil #2 which was an excellent choice) and I would recommend a good synthetic for the Wheel bearings. Also, it seemed like most people repacked the Brifs w/out disassembling them, which is what I did as well. Make sure to get the 54 mm socket, some brass drifts, and a spring gauge for the bearing preload check.
I just finished mine last week so everything is still fresh in my mind. Feel free to PM me w/any questions.
Toad

azaussie said:
Kurt over at cruiseroutfitters says he has OEM toyota koyo knuckle bearings with a part # of FA17001. Too many part numbers...

The FA17001 is our part number, denoting Front Axle 17001, as CDan pointed out is the 90366-17001 (Koyo # TR0305A) :D

Toadhopper said:
My bearing kit was 87.00 from Kurt (really cool guy)at Cruiser Outfitters. Plus 90.00 for the wheel bearing set for both sides

Thanks! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom