knuckle alignment tool help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have the tool? I am in Tempe and would be glad to give payment for any help. thanks

You tell me what a knuckle alignment tool is and I'll tell ya if I gots one!

-Spike

when installing the knuckle on the axle housing, shims are used to get it centered properly. The alignment tool centers the knuckle so you dont get any leaking. Its like $120 bucks from the dealer.

Must be an early model axle, I don't think (hope) you need one on the 80 series. Enlighten me if I'm wrong, 'cause I love tools and will use any excuse to buy more. I guess it centers the knuckle in the verticle plane? I do remember using shims in a 4Runner axle I helped a friend rebuild, but there was no mention of a tool, just preload on the trunion bearings.

-Spike (And I don't have one, so I'm, as usual, no help to you.)

I have one here in Tucson. pita to use, you will need a good 8" caliper, dyechem or other marking agent, and a calculator.

you may borrow if you want it.

best advice, the whole job is done to center the birfield in the axle and this is 100% done by the bottom shims. top shims are for preload only.
do-not-loose-the-bottom-shims!

pm me if you are up for the abuse.

spike all birf axles use this. as rick mentions the bottom is for centering and the top for preload. so,,,,, my personal exp. has been to keep track of the bottom shims and put them back the way they were, then adjust preload. i figger the bearings are a pretty good tolerance, at least good enough for using this method. so far i have had no probs.

RHINO said:
spike all birf axles use this.

I've seen in several places that the tool won't fit an 80 axle, and isn't necessary, including the last post on the thread Medtro posted. Does anyone have the FSM for the 80, does it mention the SST?

-Spike

@LandCruiserPhil I am getting an education on this now. When you have done yours, do you shim the lower bearing?

@LandCruiserPhil I am getting an education on this now. When you have done yours, do you shim the lower bearing?

As your 80 series education begins Im hoping you have the first tool, a FSM?

Shims on an 80 are for pre load on trunions and only available for the bottom. You want to check the pre load prior to installing the knuckle seals or wipes. If you are reusing the trunion bearings and find you need more pre load closely check the condition of you bearing. IIRC the FSM uses a fish scale. I dont use a fish scale for pre- load as I learned to do it before fish scale were available.:rolleyes:

LCP,

I do indeed have the FSM, invaluable tool in itself. I am using all new bearings and seals, knuckle and wheel. I will start by simply following the FSM and checking preload.

Thanks again for the use of your BFS(Big F****** Socket)

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom