KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) for 80s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I received my land shark drawer kit back in late May. I finally wrapped up the assembly and installation in late July. I just took my first camping trip with them in the rig over Labor Day Weekend. Just right away, I want to say that I am very happy with the design, packaging, materials, and instructions.

@cruzerDave , your packaging was really impressive how space efficient it was. Everything arrived intact and there was very little packing material. The design is a lot more sophisticated than anything I would have come up with, so that yields a lot of added value. I like that as a kit, I could choose the finish, drawer handles / locks, and any customization.

I kept it simple. I did two coats of oil based wood stain, then did 3 coats of water based poly. I didn't intend to mix oil and water based finishes, but to get water based stain, I would have had to have a can mixed, and I didn't want to wait in line at the orange store paint counter on a summer Saturday morning! The manufacturer details stated it was okay, and the finish seems to be holding up great so far.

For handles, I went with the real basic ones listed on the Land Shark Outfitters customization's page. The surface mount ones sold on Amazon for $5.62 each. They are perfect for my needs, and inexpensive. Might as well go for inexpensive and simple to install when you can.
Amazon product ASIN B00JQYVJVKFor the drawer top, and drawers bottoms (?) themselves, I ordered a 4'x9' sheet of the 1/8" thick diamond rubber flooring for $78.50 and sold on Amazon. That was also listed on Land Shark Outfitters customization's page. The 4'x9' sheet was large enough to cut out a piece for the top and the base of the two drawers without much waste. I just laid it flat on all those surfaces, and I haven't worried about glueing it down. So far that works fine for me. The material and cost was great, but beware that rubber flooring absolutely reeks. It off gassed for like a month, I am not kidding. I am happy with it at this point though.

I might add piano hinges for side flap access this winter. I also might add some drawer dividers in. I did not have access to a table saw, so I did not dado in slots for dividers. I have a pocket hole jig, so I figure if I end up determining a good spacing for some dividers after using the drawers for a good stretch, then I might mount some dividers in permanently and just use pocket holes / screws.

TL/DR, this is a great mod well worth the money, and a fun project. We are lucky with @cruzerDave in this community!

1567834538966.png

1567834642009.png
1567834711709.png
1567834751177.png
1567835103085.png

1567835989930.png

Snagged a last minute campsite on the OR coast on Labor Day weekend. First camping trip with the drawers. Awesome to be camped near the beach, but it was louder in this campsite than our house in inner N. Portland, ha.

1567836098100.png

@cruzerDave Was going to place an order for the KISS drawer system but then I noticed announcement about the new modular/stronger version coming out. Do you have a timeline or pics/specs on the newer version? The announcement also says the current system might go up in price after the newer version is released? I was hoping you'd sell the older stock at a discount after new one becomes available :D

I use the Iris Weatherproof containers in my KISS drawer setup They fit perfect, have a seal and multiple latches, and are modular and stackable...so they also make a prep table or serving table if you want. The 41qt and 19qt fit perfectly into one drawer. I bought a 62qt and 74 qt as well. The 74 qt is strapped on top on the right side of the first picture. Same dimensions as the 41qt, just taller. Been using this setup for over a year now and super happy with it.
IMG_0805.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg

I'M ALIVE (in my best zombie voice) ;)

Sending out a newsletter tonight (threads are for truck stuff not business marketing) with lots of updates - so sorry for the radio silence but it'll all be worth it, I promise!

I just wanted to chime in here and say we've had our KISS drawers for over two years and they've been amazing. Since our Cruiser didn't have 3rd row seats, we used the tie-down anchor points and ran a steel plate, "strapping" the drawers down. Then I drilled out the steel strap and using wood screws, attached them to the stap. We've had no issues with movement in over 2 years of heavy use. Crawlin' and haulin' in the desert. The left is the kitchen with the fridge above and the right is recovery tools / spares / etc. The only issue I need to fix is when I added an HDPE sheet to the lift gate, now I have to lift the drawers up to clear it. I just need to take the front faces off the drawers and shave off 1/8" from the bottom.

the 2019 Old Growth Classic-156.jpg

the 2019 Old Growth Classic-155.jpg

Look forward to the update. Drawers are on my list (building from scratch) but this is the first time I'm seeing a good looking option that just requires assembly and finishing. If the price is reasonable, I'm in!

I'm looking forward to what you have cook'en.
I'm looking for a drawer system for my 80 series 1991 HDJ81.

@cruzerDave Please add me to your newsletter. George.arnold (at) gmail dot com

Working on the new modular, expandable system called "The Reef". You can check out some details in the new blog and sign up to be notified when they are shipping (no more waiting lists!) on the site Land Shark Outfitters. Testing in my 100 now, loving them, working on weeks not months but no promises as a new role at the newish job and family stuff have been a huge energy-suck these last couple months.

IMG_20191117_174450.jpg

Working on the new modular, expandable system called "The Reef". You can check out some details in the new blog and sign up to be notified when they are shipping (no more waiting lists!) on the site Land Shark Outfitters. Testing in my 100 now, loving them, working on weeks not months but no promises as a new role at the newish job and family stuff have been a huge energy-suck these last couple months.

View attachment 2141685

😀

Signed up for the sms notification.

I'm in the camp that many are. I keep planning to build my own drawers. I have the skill and tools to do it but I'm also pretty picky. If these become available before I get to it I may just have to grab a set as well!

Thanks for the heads up!
I (we) appreciate your work and I can't wait to purchase your drawer system when it is available for my 80 series.

I just finished up my Reef Drawers (KISS 2.0) for my 1993 80 series. They turned out great. Easy to build, and fun to customize.
0B7FAC56-D505-4DB4-9DA5-9917D595F062.jpeg
11592ED0-EB75-4971-B6D3-C51A07F697C9.jpeg
730B6FF5-624E-4532-819A-3B7D69D1FB69.jpeg

I finished with black exterior latex paint, outdoor carpet from Lowe’s, and clear shellac for drawer interiors, with a coat of furniture wax.

Looking at purchasing two drawers with wings and potentially the sleep platform.

Couple questions...

For the wings, it calls out for rear A/C for 80 Series. I wasn’t even aware this was an option (other markets than North America?). Should I select no A/C or am I missing something here?

Can someone explain the sleep system? In the description it makes it seem that the drawer system may line up with a folded rear seat and that the platform may not be necessary. Can anyone confirm? I had considered a rear 50% delete to get a little more storage, but may not if it turns out I can retain the seat.

Thanks!

@spazzyfry123, I’m laughing here, because I chose the passenger wing kit, only now realizing that there is a wing option for “passenger no rear a/c.” The fit is a little tight. My rear speaker grill is kicked in so it clear fine, but I was surprised how snug it was.

As for a sleeping platform when the 2nd row back rests are folded down the are close to the same height as the top of the drawers. If I was using it as a sleeping platform I would cut a couple of scrap pieces of 2”x4” to level the second row seats. There is a gap of 2-3 inches on mine between the drawers a d the folded leveled 2nd row. There is quite a discussion about this in the Kiss Drawers for 100 series thread, which I would read a couple of times before buying.

@spazzyfry123, I’m laughing here, because I chose the passenger wing kit, only now realizing that there is a wing option for “passenger no rear a/c.” The fit is a little tight. My rear speaker grill is kicked in so it clear fine, but I was surprised how snug it was.

As for a sleeping platform when the 2nd row back rests are folded down the are close to the same height as the top of the drawers. If I was using it as a sleeping platform I would cut a couple of scrap pieces of 2”x4” to level the second row seats. There is a gap of 2-3 inches on mine between the drawers a d the folded leveled 2nd row. There is quite a discussion about this in the Kiss Drawers for 100 series thread, which I would read a couple of times before buying.

So it sounds like had you chosen the no A/C passenger wing that it would probably fit as expected instead of overly snug?

And if I'm understanding you correctly, the seats just need to be made level? I realize this is overkill and some scrap wood would do the job just as fine, but @Outsane (Solve Function) makes some trick blocks that makes the folded second row level. Cool factor may be worth the $20 for me. I'd imagine one of these would work well with the Reefs. If that's all it takes, then I may be getting me some Reefs!

1609003606296.png

1609003642182.png

EDIT: Looks like the blocks should work. Found this picture in the 100 series thread with picture specific to an 80 series

1609006679642.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom