KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) for 80s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shaving the drawer faces seems like the way to go. I will let it ride for a while or at least until it warms up some more. By then I can decide how I want to coat the surfaces. Not sure if that textured paint would be to rough, it would probably wear down after a while. I think I will just stain it or polyurethane it. Thanks!

Great system. Did anyone ever confirm these fit well for hdj81’s?
Also, does anyone know if there is room to install a third battery for accessories under the wing?

I really like the drawers, fit and quality second to none. I was a bit concerned about the slides and them holding up to all the weight I was putting in them, thought about getting an entire separate set f or the uppers but then decided to try something cheaper. Using some 18" lengths aluminum angle, think it is 1/8" I ripped about 3/16" or so off of one side, counter drilled for a few screws and marked them in place before screwing them down. Each drawer has them screwed in the rear half so when the drawer is fully extended they help support all my crap. So far so good.
angleout.jpg
angleondrawer.jpg
angleclose.jpg

I really like the drawers, fit and quality second to none. I was a bit concerned about the slides and them holding up to all the weight I was putting in them, thought about getting an entire separate set f or the uppers but then decided to try something cheaper. Using some 18" lengths aluminum angle, think it is 1/8" I ripped about 3/16" or so off of one side, counter drilled for a few screws and marked them in place before screwing them down. Each drawer has them screwed in the rear half so when the drawer is fully extended they help support all my crap. So far so good. View attachment 1670056 View attachment 1670055 View attachment 1670054

Cool idea! I suppose there's no reason you couldn't do the same thing with a second UHMW/Delrin slide on the upper extrusion where your aluminum angle is. @cruzerDave any downsides to a second slide? Would the drawers hold more weight if a second slide was added? Maybe just a short one at the rear of the drawer to act as a stabilizer like @Abalonehunter is using his for?

Man, I need to pony up and buy some of these!

Cool idea! I suppose there's no reason you couldn't do the same thing with a second UHMW/Delrin slide on the upper extrusion where your aluminum angle is. @cruzerDave any downsides to a second slide? Would the drawers hold more weight if a second slide was added? Maybe just a short one at the rear of the drawer to act as a stabilizer like @Abalonehunter is using his for?

Don't get me wrong, I like the UHMW slides and almost bought some, but the cost is higher than aluminum...I also thought that the wings on the aluminum offered up a bit of slack versus the UHMW would have been fixed in the extrusion.

Cost is probably the biggest factor, I would also assume it would make alignment tricky. It could over-constrain the system and cause binding if not assembled perfectly. The aluminum angle allows for more slop, eliminating the binding issue.

I really like the drawers, fit and quality second to none. I was a bit concerned about the slides and them holding up to all the weight I was putting in them, thought about getting an entire separate set f or the uppers but then decided to try something cheaper. Using some 18" lengths aluminum angle, think it is 1/8" I ripped about 3/16" or so off of one side, counter drilled for a few screws and marked them in place before screwing them down. Each drawer has them screwed in the rear half so when the drawer is fully extended they help support all my crap. So far so good. View attachment 1670056 View attachment 1670055 View attachment 1670054
Aaaaaaand this is why I love this community, great idea & execution @Abalonehunter ! I considered some routes like you took but ultimately couldn't find off-the-shelf bits that fit, and trimming angle like you did is not a very desirable manufacturing step, or not an affordable one.

Yes, you do, especially as I am going to be raising the price soon... they haven't increased in almost 2 years while inflation, materials, shipping, and soon aluminum go up. Hate to do it but side gigs can't absorb costs with volume like the big guys do.

Cost is probably the biggest factor, I would also assume it would make alignment tricky. It could over-constrain the system and cause binding if not assembled perfectly. The aluminum angle allows for more slop, eliminating the binding issue.
You nailed it, binding yes. Likely a bunch of customer complaints of sliding issues if they install the top even a teeeeeeensy bit off.

Developing the drawers to handle more weight is possible, but there begins a cascading effect. Drawers will sink more into the carpet, requiring more clearance. The slides will require even more effort to break free and start sliding reducing customer satisfaction. 12mm sides and bottom could need additional reinforcement for long term use - since they are built for Toyotas it's not the first time you put it together and open them that we design around, it's the 500th ;)

Yes, you do, especially as I am going to be raising the price soon... they haven't increased in almost 2 years while inflation, materials, shipping, and soon aluminum go up. Hate to do it but side gigs can't absorb costs with volume like the big guys do.

About how much time do i have? :rolleyes:

About how much time do i have? :rolleyes:
until I get done shipping out the first batch of Remoras, SharkNets, and bunch of drawers, catch my breath, and then have energy to tackle website tweaks - I'd say next week sometime

Interested in purchasing myself, when will they be available again?
It's a rolling stock sort of thing, where I'll buy a bunch of material, catch up and stockup, then repeat. So lead times will vary based on where in that cycle you hit - right now the website says 3-4 weeks but it's more like 1-2 weeks.

Here's a little more feedback regarding my KISS drawers. I have found that the drawers will actually slide open and closed a bit during acceleration from a stop, on an incline, and while braking. I currently don't have the carpet on the tailgate so this may be exaggerating the sound but I can hear a "clunk" every time the drawers shift. I plan on installing an aluminum access panel in the tailgate so the cushioning of the carpet will not be back. I decided to install some locks to keep the drawers in place and so far it seems to work. Here are some pics and a link to the locks in case someone else is having the same experience.
20180601_122352.jpg

20180601_122406.jpg
20180601_122432.jpg

You can see the screw holes and scuffing from another type of hinge lock I tried at first but it was too flimsy. Here is the link for the locks in the pics: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B64VSNR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yea, mine open about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and stay until I close them back up. I don't have any locking mechanism though. I really like them. Doesn't bother me too much but I may add some type of lock.

I'd like to modify these a bit, by shortening one (or both) drawers and building an 8" subwoofer enclosure facing the rear seats. The speaker is 8.54" in diameter. Can anyone take a quick measurement and let me know if there is enough vertical height to make this work?

IMPORTANT HEADSUP: I am finally moving from a garage with just 50 ft2 to run LSO from, into a house with a 1,500 ft2 shop! This will eventually mean short/no lead times as I can finally stock products, but unfortunately for the next couple months I need to shut down sales as the move will be a big undertaking.

The store closes this Saturday, June 1 and will reopen end of July.

All existing orders are going out, I will continue to support customers through email, and yes I am staying in Bend. I apologize to everyone who were looking to order over the next couple months, and hope you understand. Any questions please email (not PM) me.

To decided to not install piano hinges to flip the sides up. But with the drawers open, you can still access the sides, so it isn't lost storage space. I store my bicycle U-lock and jumper cables in the side "cubbies".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom