Kill switch! Where do I start. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

B

burger

I want to put some sort of kill switch in the hj61 but have no idea what would be the best way to go . I have read somewhere that switching the vsv circuit would do but to be honest I have no idea what that is and where it is located. What are some other ways to do it that would provide a little more thinking by the thief to get it running. I was thinking that if you can stop the fuel flow that would be best but I am unsure other than a solenoid on how to do that (electrically that is). Cheers guy and thanks for the input

you could put a ball valve in the fuel line. Not electrical (less chance of failure), but also not as convenient to actuate.

There must be some way to tie into the low oil pressure sensor also... that would kill the motor for you.

Thanks for the link red herring but that is talking about a gasser. With the lack of electronics on a diesel I am having trouble wrapping my head around what to do.

This is a really easy solution that I have done.
Take the wire that that goes from your ignition to your starter (I spliced it right at the starter conection) Then run a wire to a hidden switch that has to be pressed when starting, then a wire back and there you have it. I have given my keys to friends and tell them there is a switch, and they still can't start it. It is not bullet proof, but hey, it's something.
Cheers,
Deny

Deny said:
Take the wire that that goes from your ignition to your starter (I spliced it right at the starter conection) Then run a wire to a hidden switch that has to be pressed when starting, then a wire back and there you have it. I have given my keys to friends and tell them there is a switch, and they still can't start it. It is not bullet proof, but hey, it's something.
Cheers,
Deny

Deny's approach sounds simple and better, it sounds cheap!

Keep in mind that stealing a RHD would be that much harder for some heroin addict, perhaps a security measure itself.

Well look at what shuts the engine off. On a 3b its the EDIC. on yours I know nothing. but if look at the solnoid that shuts it down you should be able to tap in there with a switch to prevent the vacuum actuator from being engaged on start up. They will just crank and crank.

The oil px swich is a good one too. But it will start and go for a few seconds. then die. then they will crank alot too

As you've seen there many ways to do it. Be thankfull you don't have a whole plie of electronics to deal with.

burger said:
Thanks for the link red herring but that is talking about a gasser. With the lack of electronics on a diesel I am having trouble wrapping my head around what to do.

Duhh... srry should have read all of it first... :~)

My rig is auto, so i tied into the park neutral safety switch. Works well for me. I like Deny's idea... clever.

Red Herring said:
Duhh... srry should have read all of it first... :~)
r.

Hey dude, don't apologize, I didn;t see the word "diesel" anywhere in the original post. Trick is some of these guys know just by the model and year...I wait for them to post and then expand on their opinions to make me look smart. :D

moose_sv1000s said:
Hey dude, don't apologize, I didn;t see the word "diesel" anywhere in the original post. Trick is some of these guys know just by the model and year...I wait for them to post and then expand on their opinions to make me look smart. :D

How many people on the international cruiser section have imported a gas cruiser. Sorry for not being clearer. I agree with moose though dont be sorry, be perfect LOL

I definately like the idea of the oil pressure switch....
IMO the best thing about it is that the cruiser will start, and they might even be able to move it out of the parking spot before it dies.
If they have tons of time, they'll start it again and move it a little more.
Seems to me that after two or three cycles they will realize that they aren't going to get very far without attracting a lot of attention. More than likely they will assume that the vehicle is malfunctioning, not that there is a switch.... unless they really know diesel cruisers and know that this behaviour matches the pressure switch, in which case they might disconnect the EDIC or something.... but that seems pretty far fetched. Besides, once the vehicle is in the street, are they really going to want to pop the hood and fiddle with it? Or for that matter, if they get the cruiser out into the middle of the parking lot and it dies, are they going to want to stick around at all?

maybe an even better solution is to put in two switches- the first to kill the starter, the second to kill the pressure switch. The second switch could even be pretty obvious with a label and everything (labelled something other than "anti theft pressure sensor disconnect", of course).

From what I've read- time is really the only thing you hope to gain over a thief. Slow him down enough and he may have to give up.

I want to put some sort of kill switch in the hj61 but have no idea what would be the best way to go . I have read somewhere that switching the vsv circuit would do but to be honest I have no idea what that is and where it is located. What are some other ways to do it that would provide a little more thinking by the thief to get it running. I was thinking that if you can stop the fuel flow that would be best but I am unsure other than a solenoid on how to do that (electrically that is). Cheers guy and thanks for the input

You can do the same thing on your HJ61 as I have done on the 70 series cut the power to the edic. do you have the 2H or the 12HT? The 2H has the edic, not sure about the 12HT, but probably does.

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
You can do the same thing on your HJ61 as I have done on the 70 series cut the power to the edic. do you have the 2H or the 12HT? The 2H has the edic, not sure about the 12HT, but probably does.Michael

No EDIC on the 12HT or 13BT. VSV for the air intake shutter.
Starter or fuel line would be the choice here. 1HZ/1HD-T would be starter, fuel line or fuel solenoid switch.

gb

Deny said:
Cheers,
Deny

This is Lumpy Bastard's story, but I'll tell it in his absence. This very trick described by Deny is commonly used by bush pilots on their planes. Lumpy Bastard's Mom's boyfriend was such a pilot, and was borrowing a fellow pilot's plane. He pushed off from the dock into the flow of the river, turned the key, but couldn't remember where the secret kill switch was located. A thorough survey of the interior of the craft did result in discovery of the secret switch mere moments before the float plan entered the rapids downstream of the dock.

A switch which over-rides the EDIC or VSV into the off position would be best. Using the Low Oil Shut down means that the the vehcile would start and get a few meters, and could be re-started over and over again. It would take a very concerted effort from a thief to get away, but it could be done. Doing anything with the fuel means bleeding the system every time you forget the switch, loan the truck to a friend, have an electical failure, etc.

However, the best anti-theft is to have such a hideously ugly vehicle that no-one could possibly want to steal it. I suggest factory brown with the urine interior. With lots of trail damage. And rust.

Peter Straub

Last edited:
Deny said:
Cheers,
Deny

as an expansion on this: why could you not just have a toggle switch instead? this way, when you shut off the rig, you flip the (hidden) switch off real quick like and the ability to start is not availble becuase the circuit is now closed. with your method, you have to have 2 hands to start and/or, someone can watch (if they are spying on you) as you push a button and turn the key which looks very obvious versus just flipping a quick switch (which you can do with 1 hand & very non-chalant like), complete the ignition circuit, and the rig fires up.

Ha Ha, that's funny, some one spying on you as you start the truck! :D Yeah, you are right though, toggle would be better probably, I just did it this way, because I am an air head and always forget, thus I would probably forget to switch it before getting out, and thus no protection. I still every now and then go to crank my truck over and all I get is a click, then WTF oh yeah. :D
Cheers,
Deny

I plan on putting in a tuffy type console. Inside that I'd like to run a battery cut off switch. Run the wired underneith the truck. Those consoles are tuff to break into. I think the point is slowing people down to the point that they just leave isnt it? otherwise they'll just put your truck on a flat bed.

Deny said:
Ha Ha, that's funny, some one spying on you as you start the truck!

where have you been? havn't you seen the black helicopters. just ask Fox Moulder... he knows.

wantatlc said:
where have you been? havn't you seen the black helicopters. just ask Fox Moulder... he knows.

I've been in little hick towns like Whonnock and Fort St John. And no I haven't seen any black helicopters, unless they are invisable at times too! :D Thanks for the heads up, I will definately be more "non-chalant like" when hitting the switch from now on. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom