Kick down cable fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For a year, i have been able to push the kickdown cable back into the sheath when it got slack. (i could hear the shifting wasnt correct and i would pull over push it back in ..... where it attaches to the gas pedal cable swivel thing under the hood). Couple weeks ago it would not push all the way back in. Few days ago, it wont push in at all. I removed the cable from up top and used what i call the IV baggy way to insert the cable end and soak it in ATF hoping the fluid would get down the cable and loosen it. Still stuck. Only moves a hair before it stops. (which it did from this last time when i tried to push it back in to the sheath).

I have been reading reading reading here and on google and that was my best DIY solution. I have ordered a 'cable luber' that will be here tuesday. Since i dont know what the other end (at transmission) of the cable attaches to, i'm wondering if someone could shoot me a pic or a diagram explaining how the cable is retracted in the transmission? Friend is sending an 846 pg shop repair book that will also arrive tuesday.

The reason i'm asking where it terminates in the trans is bc i would like to hook up the cable luber and put some AC Delco Super Lube into the cable and dont want it to muck up something on the trans end. Btw, i do believe at least 'some' trans fluid made it into the cable.

It is still stuck tho. Well, kind of stuck. It will move a hair when i push on it and feels like it is hitting something. But its only a hair.

Just an added note, AAMCO replaced the cable in 2016 and again about a year later. This is when i learned what cable it was and looked for it under the hood when the rpms would be too high when shifting. I dont really want to take it to them again, but i live where its hard to find someone to work on it.

Any feedback would be great!! thanks.

OH, just thought i should add that i only drive about 40 miles a month (if that matters), and live on a sandy, sometimes muddy, road.

I've had the kickdown cable stick just as you described. It caught and released a few times then eventually stuck in 1st gear until I replaced the cable. For my 62 the problem was caused by corrosion (salty roads) where the cable enters the transmission. Numerous attempts to lube the cable with ATF failed.

Access to the bottom end of the cable is through the transmission oil pan. Plan to replace the filter and flush the system when you're in there.

I've had the kickdown cable stick just as you described. It caught and released a few times then eventually stuck in 1st gear until I replaced the cable. For my 62 the problem was caused by corrosion (salty roads) where the cable enters the transmission. Numerous attempts to lube the cable with ATF failed.

Access to the bottom end of the cable is through the transmission oil pan. Plan to replace the filter and flush the system when you're in there.
Thanks for the reply. Since the atf doesnt seem to be making a difference, i'm going to try lubing some with something i have on hand (AC Delco super lube), once i get the cable luber from amazon tomorrow. I figure this is not a job i can do, so, i'll have to get someone smarter than me to change that cable if lubing doesnt work.

Thanks for the reply. Since the atf doesnt seem to be making a difference, i'm going to try lubing some with something i have on hand (AC Delco super lube), once i get the cable luber from amazon tomorrow. I figure this is not a job i can do, so, i'll have to get someone smarter than me to change that cable if lubing doesnt work.
So how you make out?

So how you make out?
I couldnt get the cable to free up with the lube, so found someone (Napa mechanic) who was able to replace the cable, without charging an extra $400 that AAMCO wanted. AAMCO = $1,050 ~. NAPA =$650 ~. BTW, the cable luber was crap lol.

I couldnt get the cable to free up with the lube, so found someone (Napa mechanic) who was able to replace the cable, without charging an extra $400 that AAMCO wanted. AAMCO = $1,050 ~. NAPA =$650 ~. BTW, the cable luber was crap lol.
So how you make out?
OHHH , plus Insurance refunded the total tow bill of $175. Which helped a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom