opinion : was the work done ( FJ62 transmission service) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The short version, my truck was having some issues shifting after an hour+ of driving, and my kickdown cable was sticking and it would stay out not retracting.

There’s a very reputable shop near my store that I took it to to have him take a look. He’s very knowledgeable fella and we talked about the issues it was having and I agreed to bring it to him the following week for a transmission service. new fluid, filter kit and to install my new kickdown cable that I got from Toyota

They told me it would be done in a day. I brought it first thing in the morning explain to them I needed it in time to get my kids. They assured me everything will be OK, it wasn’t. I ended up having to borrow a vehicle to go get my boys and then bring it back another day which was today. Before i picked it up i spoke with them friday, they explained to me that it was all finished up and my keys were in the truck in their lot with my ticket and that they did not see the need to replace the kickdown cable (Which was the whole reason I went anyway) as their tech said it looked fine and was functioning. secondly i wasnt about to leave it in a lot with the keys and all my tools and gear in it overnight.

Today I drove home, didn’t get all the way to the house before it started behaving erratically again and not wanting to shift. i got out and see that the kick down cable was again fully pulled out and loose to the tune of 4inches or so. But I knew they didn’t install it, so I’m telling myself great "You have to do this anyway, whatever"

I get home today and crawl underneath spend an hour under this thing in the rain and much to my surprise. It doesn’t look like they’ve done anything except flush the fluid. I wanted to get everyone’s opinion to see if it looked as a new gasket had been installed and the pan dropped. to me it does not, I don’t see any fingerprints I don’t see any cleaning marks I don’t see any marking from tools on any of the fasteners and I don’t see where they took the pan guard down. etc. etc. etc.

thoughts?
( i know the answer but someone tell me im not crazy)
this is why i do my own work. im so overloaded with everything right now i took a chance and had someone else attempt to lighten my load, silly me.

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

They didn't drop the pan...

check the receipt, see what they charged you for - parts & labor.

id be sending them an email right now explaining the issue.

it's really hard to tell, the cork gasket looks new in some places.. however the bolts don't look like they have been removed.

Hm,

Id say they didn't take the pan off, but its hard to tell.

maybe someone else can chime in.

Invoice says trans filter was replaced.
have them show you the replacement trans filter.
on a fj62 they are metal all you do is remove it and clean it out no need to replace it.
from the looks of it bolts on the pan don't look lie they where removed.

it doesn't look like any of the pan bolts have had a socket put on them, along with the drain plug.
wonder if they hooked up a machine, pull out so much and install same amount?
is the oil on the dipstick bright red?

you specifically said you wanted the kickdown cable replaced and had the part and they didn't do the work?
ask them how the service was done?

it doesn't look like any of the pan bolts have had a socket put on them, along with the drain plug.
wonder if they hooked up a machine, pull out so much and install same amount?
is the oil on the dipstick bright red?

you specifically said you wanted the kickdown cable replaced and had the part and they didn't do the work?
ask them how the service was done?
the oil is fresh on the dipstick, however that could be achieved by a drain and fill. not a flush, there appears to be a new washer on the drain (but im not sure if i did that last year, doubt has set in)

yes i specifically asked them the do the kick down, and it wasnt.. their reasoning on the phone was that it looked good to them and didnt want to charge me for an additional expense :rolleyes:

The general labor op says it’s included. The parts list of the service shows you didn’t pay for a filter, only about 6qts in fluid.

UPDATE : upon calling and requesting to speak with owner, ( who was out ) i pointed out my concerns for call back, a few minutes later i received.

HELLO --I LEFT EARLY FRIDAY-DAVID WILL NOT BE BACK AT THE SHOP FOR AN HOUR OR SO THIS AFTERNOON--HE SPOKE TO THE TECH WHO SAID THERE WAS NO FILTER IN THE BOX WHEN HE OPENED IT-ANOTHER KIT IS NOT AVAILABLE FROM THE SUPPLIER, SO HE DID A DRAIN AND FILL--I HAVE UPDATED THE REPAIR ORDER ACCORDINGLY AND ATTACHED IT-

awful high for a drain and fill... lesson learned, wont be back.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 1.04.12 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom