Events/Trails Keystone Cruisers Club Activities (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that a Lexus thing, or does the 80 also have a dampened harmonic balancer?

I remember this happening in the BMW world regularly, you could get a single piece balancer aftermarket.....
I have no idea, it's actually first time happening to me. I did hear about this failure but never expect it on this car ? The rubber sleeve holding the two halves is quite large and a small protion cracked, it basically unglued itself.
I assume heat exposure was the cause ?
Just order a new Toyota pulley, now looking for a tool. Anyone have one to borrow or sell ?
This job for sure job stinks !

I have no idea, it's actually first time happening to me. I did hear about this failure but never expect it on this car ? The rubber sleeve holding the two halves is quite large and a small protion cracked, it basically unglued itself.
I assume heat exposure was the cause ?
Just order a new Toyota pulley, now looking for a tool. Anyone have one to borrow or sell ?

For what it’s worth small block 350’s have a dampened balancer and this is a (somewhat) common failure point at high mileage. I don’t think it’s heat exposure necessarily - the rubber just fatigues/cracks over years and years of doing its job.

After attempting of pulling @Crusha last weekend) Dean's v belt came out on the way home.

Ahem, I highly doubt these are related...

I recently had this happen on my daughter's 80. The balancer separated, walked off the hub, took out the belts, overheated the truck, and blew the top tank of the rad. Oh, and also chewed up the fan.

While I was in there...
Front main seal
Oil pump o-ring
Water pump
Rad hoses
T-stat

I had a used balancer in stock, but bit the bullet and bought a new one. I think it was close to $300, but don't recall exactly.

It does.

When you reassemble, you need to torque the balancer bolt to almost three hundred pounds. I forget the exact spec. I have a torque wrench that I bought specifically for this job. I could ship it to you if you do not have one. You cover the shipping cots.

Greg

Ahem, I highly doubt these are related...

I recently had this happen on my daughter's 80. The balancer separated, walked off the hub, took out the belts, overheated the truck, and blew the top tank of the rad. Oh, and also chewed up the fan.

While I was in there...
Front main seal
Oil pump o-ring
Water pump
Rad hoses
T-stat

I had a used balancer in stock, but bit the bullet and bought a new one. I think it was close to $300, but don't recall exactly.

Hi greg, it does sound like I was getting you involved for you to pay the repairs 😜. I just thought that was the only thing that could have made the belts jump. Crazy is we made it home !

Yes those suckers were about $350. I found it in partsouq for $198. Although shipping was $70
That crank pulley also scored the timing cover plate, haven't checked if still good

Wow, that story sounds like it was a nightmare

Greg I appreciate the help with the wrench, I actually picked up one from a local friend (Chris monez) now waiting for the parts

Engine was completely rebuild but not the crank, go figure ......

Daniel

I might be able to make it. I'm also in the middle of a project, as long as all my parts come in by Thursday, I should be good to go.

I can’t either, helping Dad with demo of his basement and god-daughters birthday as well.

I cannot make Saturday the 8th.

Sounds good, I don't think the ups truck showed up yet anyway. I'll be home the first 2 weeks of Feb, I have a trip planned for TN, GA, FL the second half of the month. If not next month there's always March haha

We should probably aim for the first or 3rd weekend next month. I know my wife may have a thing to say about the second weekend....

Gonna be running to the Pine Barrens with a group of assorted folks on the 8th if anyone is interested

Out of curiosity, where do you go in the Pine Barrens? I've been up to Wharton State Park once or twice but never found anything super challenging. Maybe I was just in the wrong place?

Wharton is usually where we start, I've a few tracks saved. It's nothing too overwhelming, but can be deceiving. My avatar pic is a day i sunk the LC out there.

Wharton is usually where we start, I've a few tracks saved. It's nothing too overwhelming, but can be deceiving. My avatar pic is a day i sunk the LC out there.

I got stuck once in the watery sand pit. Heavy LCs sink right in them. Otherwise the Pines are easy in an LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom