Key at Start...but no starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to start my 80 this morning and when I turned the key to the Start position, all the lights came on but the starter did not turn over. I turned the key on and off a few more times and then the starter began to turn over.

I know I have a fairly new battery so I don't believe that's the problem. Ignition switch, neutral safety switch, starter all came to mind.

I'm wondering if any of these parts commonly need replacing on the high mileage 80s? Also, is there a good way to trouble-shoot this type of problem?

I believe both the starter and ignition switch were replaced about 80K miles ago but perhaps they may need it again.

Good chance it is the starter needing a simple rebuild. My rig did exactly this before the starter gave-up-the-ghost. This is a DIY repair even for a :banana: mechanic. You will need to know what starter that you have before calling CDan for the parts kit (2.0kw or 1.6kw) based on the Toyota PN on the outside. In anycase, you may want to pull it and have it tested locally first. Getting it out is not that bad, just a bit of work getting yourself between the frame and DS tire.

:cheers:

Steve

This is me replacing mine in a Chevron Parking lot 120 miles from home ;)

cyclosteve-albums-spring-break-2011-picture18600-starter-changing.jpg

This was the culpret...a worn out plunger (on the top).

cyclosteve-albums-spring-break-2011-picture18617-starter-plungers.jpg

Do a search for 'starter contacts' and you should find plenty of information.

Did the engine actually start/run or did the starter just turn with no starting??

I should have clarified, the starter did not turn at all when I put the key in the Start position.

But did the engine run or "start" when you finally got the starter to turn/spin??

Once the starter finally spun, the engine started up right away as it always does.

I have started several times today with no problems but I'm beginning to suspect it is related to a worn out starter which sometimes work and other times...

Just finished dealing with the same issue a few weeks ago. Before pulling the starter or messing with the NSS and such, I strongly recommend checking the battery cables.

After much unecessary labor, I pulled the battery cables to clean the terminals and found some loose connections. After brushing the terminals and tightening the wing nuts, problemed solved. I hope your problem is that simple - good luck!

If not the cables and you just get a clicking or buzzing when you try to start it could be the contacts as already mentioned above. Don't toss your Denso starter (assuming it's the original) you can replace the contacts and plunger yourself.

I will check the battery connections -- always a good idea anyway.

I know that the starter was replaced at some point so I really don't know if I have an original type Denso starter or not. If not, I may opt to replace it with an original one if I can still find one somewhere.

You can buy an original remanufactured unit from any Toyota dealer or any vendor here on Mud where you will probably get a better discount than your local parts guys. Still may be worth it to try a set of contacts.

I had a dozen other starts today with no problems so whatever happened this morning isn't happening often. That said, I'm going to swing it by my local indie tomorrow to get their opinion of the starter -- OE or something else.

Thanks everyone for the valuable inputs.

mine is doing this (or has been doing this) on and off for about four or five months now.. I just haven't found time to get off my arse and order the rebuild kit from CDan...

in the meantime, I carry a small household hammer next to my driver's seat and the 2 or 3 times a month it doesn't work, I reach the hammer in the DS wheel well and tap the starter lightly about 4-5 times, which has "solved" it every time.. others have posted that cycling the key in the ignition to "start" over and over will get it to engage, but that doesn't work for me

so, bottom line: recommend you carry some tapping implement until you get it rebuilt

A Toyota reman'd unit IIRC is under $200 with discount.

Ours has been doing this as well. To me it sounds like a different issue than the starter contacts as there is no 'click' when you turn the key. I've replaced the fusible links, checked battery cables, checked grounds, and even added a heavy gauge ground between the negative terminal and engine block. No Luck. Next time this ocures I plan to take a wire and manually 'jump' the starter straight from the battery. Who knows, maybe it is the starter contacts as I haven't gotten in there and looked at them yet.

I just had time to get underneath it tonight and snap a pic of the troubled starter.

Just wondering if this looks like the stock unit (either 2.0kw or 1.6kw) or something else?

ps. The hammer idea reminds me of how I used to kick the gas tank on an old delivery van to get the electric fuel pump to go when it stopped working.
starter.jpg

What year/engine is your 80? Don't see a Denso ID sticker.

When I first got my 91 I had the same issue. Very intermitent so I had a ton of trouble figuring it out. I would agree that the place to start is to clean all the cables / connections realy well. I found my problem after using the hammer method of repair. I had cleaned everything really well and did not have the problem for a while then one day it showed up. Took a hammer and gently (hard enought to get its attention but not hard enough to break anything) tapped on the starter a few times and it fired right up. Try that next time and if it works it is inside the starter for sure.

Sounds like starter contacts, there is a writeup in the faq, IIRC. Besides a "tapping" instrument, have a wrench so you can disconnect the battery cable if the starter sticks in the "engaged" position. If it does, the starter will continue to crank, whether the engine is running or not, and can end up with burned cables/wires/engine fire/vehicle fire. If you disconnect the batt before it reaches that level, you'll be better off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom